Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Jesus put it there so Americans could drive their SUVs to Outback.
Where shrimp on the barbie will now be $50 - per shrimp.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #17
has a

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Oil is natural. If you take 2 acres of farmland, spray a barrel of crude oil on one and a barrel of salt water on the other, the oil one will be fertilized and grow, the salt water one will kill the crops and possibly prevent future crops from growing.

But just because it's natural doesn't mean it's natural to pump the shit out of the ground and set fire to it.

FFS uranium, radon and cancer are naturally occurring things, too, doesn't mean I want anything to do with them. What if Great White Shark semen could power your car and regrow hair? Great, but I don't want anything to do with it, and I don't want to get involved in producing it.

We are smarter than oil at this point in our history, let's act like it. It's dirty, the politics of it suck, and it's running out. Let's move on.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 05:14 AM
Mother of all gushers could kill Earth's oceans

Quote:
First, the BP platform was drilling for what they call deep oil. They go out where the ocean is about 5,000 feet deep and drill another 30,000 feet into the crust of the earth. This it right on the edge of what human technology can do. Well, this time they hit a pocket of oil at such high pressure that it burst all of their safety valves all the way up to the drilling rig and then caused the rig to explode and sink. Take a moment to grasp the import of that. The pressure behind this oil is so high that it destroyed the maximum effort of human science to contain it.

When the rig sank it flipped over and landed on top of the drill hole some 5,000 feet under the ocean.

Now they've got a hole in the ocean floor, 5,000 feet down with a wrecked oil drilling rig sitting on top of is spewing 200,000 barrels of oil a day into the ocean. Take a moment and consider that, will you!

First they have to get the oil rig off the hole to get at it in order to try to cap it. Do you know the level of effort it will take to move that wrecked oil rig, sitting under 5,000 feet of water? That operation alone would take years and hundreds of millions to accomplish. Then, how do you cap that hole in the muddy ocean floor? There just is no way. No way.

The only piece of human technology that might address this is a nuclear bomb. I'm not kidding. If they put a nuke down there in the right spot it might seal up the hole. Nothing short of that will work. [See Paul Noel's ideas above.]

If we can't cap that hole that oil is going to destroy the oceans of the world. It only takes one quart of motor oil to make 250,000 gallons of ocean water toxic to wildlife. Are you starting to get the magnitude of this?

We're so used to our politicians creating false crises to forward their criminal agendas that we aren't recognizing that we're staring straight into possibly the greatest disaster mankind will ever see. Imagine what happens if that oil keeps flowing until it destroys all life in the oceans of this planet. Who knows how big of a reservoir of oil is down there.

Not to mention that the oceans are critical to maintaining the proper oxygen level in the atmosphere for human life.

We're humped. Unless God steps in and fixes this. No human can. You can be sure of that.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Oil is organic and trees grow back, well that falls under the "no shit Sherlock" category doesn't it?

It's the how you use it that makes a difference.

Everything else is simpleton "science".
Old 05-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #20
The Male

Local Time: 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Oil is organic.
No wonder prices are so high.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
No wonder prices are so high.
ZlNG!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
1) This is the first accident of any significance in 40 years.
You're right. 9/11 was the first large-scale terrorist attack on US soil. I'm so glad we didn't overreact to that. We dealt with those responsible and moved on.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:14 AM

From NY Times

4:53 p.m. |Another Alaskan Writes

A reader named Danny Carpenter, a commercial fisherman from Cordova, Alaska writes:

If Sarah Palin had had any personal experience or consequence with the Exxon Valdez spill she would never glibly trotted out “Drill, baby, drill.” Our spill ended up employing over 10,000 people and was an economic boon provided you weren’t trying to make a living commercial fishing or involved in tourism activities.

I feel for the folks along the Gulf Coast because after over 20 years we still have lots of subsurface oil in Prince William Sound and after a hard fought court battle the plaintiffs received 5 cents on the dollar of the jury award. For those working on the Gulf spill be aware this stuff is toxic to you as well. I’d be willing to bet that most folks are not trained and will not be wearing respirators similar to the working conditions of our spill and the health toll will guarantee there are lots of high paying jobs due to the turnover.

The fact is that as long as we tie ourselves to fossil fuels we will continue to have these tragedies. Oil is toxic whether it’s a tanker spill, a platform spill, or the everyday oil leak from one of the millions of vehicles we drive that finds it’s way into the ocean, the local lake or the aquifer system we take our drinking water from. The folks pushing energy development with fossil fuels are in it for the money and no amount of money is going to fix an oil spill of any magnitude. I’m sorry some folks on another coast are going to lose a special place they truly love for the sake of some easy money for corporations and shareholders.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:15 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Limbaugh suggests oil rig explosion an inside job; says cleanup unnecessary | New Orleans News, Local News, Breaking News, Weather | wwltv.com | Gulf Oil Spill

Limbaugh suggests oil rig explosion an inside job; says cleanup unnecessary

by Chad Bower / Eyewitness News

wwltv.com

Posted on May 2, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Updated yesterday at 12:13 PM

Welcome to a special edition of New Orleans in the News blog focused on the oil spill and the recovery efforts, and what others in the world are saying about the catastrophe. Earlier this week the LA Times released a controversial story saying New Orleanians are "shrugging" at the oil spill, but now radio host Rush Limbaugh has jumped into the foray with comments that are sure to spark some debate.

First, Limbaugh on Thursday alluded to the oil rig explosion being an inside job:

"I want to get back to the timing of the blowing up, the explosion out there in the Gulf of Mexico of this oil rig. Since they're sending SWAT teams down there now this changes the whole perspective of this. Now, lest we forget, ladies and gentlemen, the carbon tax bill, cap and trade that was scheduled to be announced on Earth Day. I remember that. And then it was postponed for a couple of days later after Earth Day, and then of course immigration has now moved in front of it.

But this bill, the cap-and-trade bill, was strongly criticized by hardcore environmentalist wackos because it supposedly allowed more offshore drilling and nuclear plants, nuclear plant investment. So, since they're sending SWAT teams down there, folks, since they're sending SWAT teams to inspect the other rigs, what better way to head off more oil drilling, nuclear plants, than by blowing up a rig? I'm just noting the timing here."

"You do survive these things. I'm not advocating don't care about it hitting the shore or coast and whatever you can do to keep it out of there is fine and dandy, but the ocean will take care of this on its own if it was left alone and was left out there," Limbaugh said. "It's natural. It's as natural as the ocean water is.

"Well, the turtles may take a hit for a while, but so what? So do we!" Limbaugh said. "Just give it a pain pill! Why not? That's what they had for us, and we don't even launch ourselves into the windshields of fire trucks."

Limbaugh followed up those comments on Friday by saying this is "Obama's Katrina." To be fair, he's said this before during last year's swine flu craze.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

That is quite possibly the saddest photo ever.

Quote:
"Well, the turtles may take a hit for a while, but so what? So do we!" Limbaugh said. "Just give it a pain pill! Why not? That's what they had for us, and we don't even launch ourselves into the windshields of fire trucks."
This whole quote is full of non-sequiturs. What exactly is launching itself into the windshield of a fire truck?? The turtles? The pain pills?

No surprise he's advocating pain pills either.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Old 05-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Rush becomes more and more of a douchebag every day, doesn't he?
Old 05-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
That is quite possibly the saddest photo ever.

This whole quote is full of non-sequiturs. What exactly is launching itself into the windshield of a fire truck?? The turtles? The pain pills?

No surprise he's advocating pain pills either.
Damn flying turtles got what was coming to them.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post

oh. my. god.

as one who's absolute, hands-down, favorite part of SCUBA is interacting with these amazing, inspiring creatures, this photo nearly moves me to tears.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Rush becomes more and more of a douchebag every day, doesn't he?
What scares me more is that his supporters continue to turn a blind eye or remain oblivious to his racsim, sexism, and all around doucehebaggery...

He's getting worse, they continue to love him. Says a lot about that demographic...