Drill, baby, drill!! - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 PM   #196
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:47 PM
Ugh, what a depressing article, Popmartijn . I appreciate you sharing that, but geez, would be lovely to hear some happy news right about now. I'm really sorry to hear that, and hope against hope that some sort of a miracle occurs to at least lessen that threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzledbylight View Post
Pres. Obama's personality doesn't seem to have him get mad in public too often and yeah, the "angry black man" STILL is a problem for some people.
Great point, and thanks .

Obama's supposed to give a speech tonight about all this mess, so now we can finally be clear about his thoughts and plans. Hopefully he can find some way to reassure everybody and rally everyone together to solve this problem.

Angela

Old 06-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #197
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Watching Fox now
Sarah Palin is on, she is an oil expert, she was the Governor of Alaska, and she knew how to deal with those big oil companies

she said Obama won't take calls from the Dutch, and they are experts at plugging leaks, with all their dikes.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #198
Refugee

Local Time: 09:47 PM
I hate to sound ignorant.

Can't we just nuke the sucker?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #199
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
she said Obama won't take calls from the Dutch, and they are experts at plugging leaks, with all their dikes.
I had heard a talk radio host say something about that as well a month or so ago, and asked on here if anyone had any info on that, because if it's true, all I can say is

Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #200
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
she was the Governor of Alaska

for half a term.

run, Sarah, run!

(you have no appeal beyond tempting people with your will-she-or-won't-she in 2012)
Old 06-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #201
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Sarah Palin is on, she is an oil expert
I think that's the first time I've ever seen her name and "expert" in the same sentence. Yes, I will take suggestions on how to fix the oil problem from Miss "Drill, baby, drill!". Sure.

I'm not fond of nuking the oil spill myself, but your idea does have support among some out there, Moser. Wonder if it will have to come to that?

I thought Obama's speech earlier was all right, I like that he laid out some plans for the coming months to try and salvage some of this mess, and I like that he stressed the importance of clean energy and why we should get off oil and onto that, and why regulations are necessary-it's extremely important those messages get out there to the public, and I'm glad he made note of that. He seemed kinda nervous to me, though, like he really wanted to let people know that he is committed to solving this problem.

Angela
Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 PM   #202
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moser View Post
I hate to sound ignorant.

Can't we just nuke the sucker?
I hate to sound ignorant as well, but now I'm hearing others use this phrase "nuke it", what do you mean by nuke it?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #203
Blue Crack Addict

I think they mean the right size explosion to collapse the drilled well and close it.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:58 AM   #204
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I hate to sound ignorant as well, but now I'm hearing others use this phrase "nuke it", what do you mean by nuke it?
Apparently the Soviets had that same problem a number of times in the Arctic Sea and they just used a small atomic bomb to plug the hole.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_598977.html

Sarah Palin now says environmentalists are to blame:
Quote:
Her logic is that because environmentalists push for tougher drilling regulations onshore in places like the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (also known as ANWR) it forces oil companies to explore deeper offshore drilling which has more risks.
Oh she is such a joy.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:00 AM   #205
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:47 PM
as i understand, the soviet spills were all somewhat land based problems?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:02 AM   #206
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:47 AM
I don't know for certain, but from what I saw it was water-based. But it wouldn't surprise me if it were different.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #207
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:47 PM
Nuke the oil spill??!!! Holy cow, are they serious?

Be right back....printing up several thousand "Nuke the Oil Spill" t-shirts. Should be a hot seller. Thanks for the idea.

All joking aside (because this isn't funny at all really), I just got an email from a friend asking if I knew any patent lawyers. I'm told that his neighbor is a retired BP engineer, and that BP is now reaching out to several of their retired experts. They are asking them for some idea, any idea at all, to help stop the leak. This guy supposedly has some idea, but says, from his past dealings with them, does not trust them at all. So, he wants to patent it first. I hope his idea is meaningful, and I hope they move fast. But overall, this does not inspire confidence at all. I do not think BP has any idea what to do about this disaster. I hope there isn't unlimited amounts of oil down there.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #208
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Bingo. Exactly. Make up your mind, Americans, either you want the government to get involved or you don't. And if you don't, then this is what happens.

Yeah, YBORCITYOBL, I really wish you'd stop making it sound like those of us who've had more defense of Obama somehow are okay with or approve of this whole mess, because we aren't and don't. This whole thing is insanely frustrating and makes me incredibly angry. There was a story last night about children living along the Gulf who have had to deal first with the hell that was Katrina and now this. One little girl's lone wish was to have her beach back. Kids can't go for a fun swim because of this, their parents are in danger of losing jobs because of this, the area where they call home is being ruined because of this. It was heartbreaking. We're all just as upset as you are. Please, do understand this, make no mistake about it.

All we're saying is that we think the anger is directed at the wrong person. Again, yes, there are some aspects of this Obama could have tried to control and should have been able to have no problem controlling, but most of this is out of his hands, and whatever he could have tried to handle would've been made difficult by some people. It's because of the "No government interference!" crowd and the drilling-obsessed people and BP's appaling lack of self-control and management and the oil companies' out-of-control power trip that this crap happened. Obama just happened to be the unfortunate guy who has to now deal with the fallout. And he may not be doing what you typically expect presidents to be doing during these situations, but that doesn't mean he's not doing anything, that doesn't mean he's not holding anyone accountable, that doesn't mean he's not keeping an eye on the situation and working with everyone imaginable to try and do something. I don't know how much more simply we can explain that.

Angela
Great Post

Since I live here I think that what makes me so angry. I look at it as a way of life that will be indefinitely altered, I mean for decades this will have effects in the Gulf, it's very sad. You bring up the young people, as you grow older and understand that the policies and actions that we as a generation take will have impacts on future generations. We have a responsibility to leave the world a better place than when we were kids. If you read my earlier posts you can definitely see where I've had a lot of problems with Bush and his Administration's failures but I want to hold Obama's to the same scrutiny and from where I am sitting he has failed on this issue. Maybe BVS is right, maybe living so close to this catastrophe eschews my vision of this and I'm not looking at it from a total objective view and I admit that.

Also I want to set something else straight I might have come off as some right wing loon in the past which I was never was. I was always middle road maybe leaning toward the right in many views and with that said I could honestly say how bad Bush was. I have many business contacts who are dyed in the wool Republicans/Conservatives who can't/won't admit how terrible the last Administration was. I would like the same scrutiny put to Obama. Going back to the beginning of my posts on this thread and Obama's Thread and even Bush's Thread the biggest point I've been trying to make and prolly ALL of you won't agree with this is that as a country in my view we got the last three Presidential Elections wrong. I never ever liked Bush, I saw him as someone who was in way over his head. I don't think he had what it takes to be a leader, he didn't surround himself with the best people and that is of the upmost importance. As for Obama he didn't have the experiance of leadership that needs to come with the Office. In my view he prolly would be a great president but it happened to fast. Going forward, it scares the crap out of me that there's a real possibility that Sarah Palin will have a chance to become President and here lies in the whole ball of wax. we are not putting the best suited individuals for this job and PLEASE don't think I believed McCain/Palin would have been the way to go, they both we're not suited for it either, as usual the election was who were the better of two evils.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #209
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Apparently the Soviets had that same problem a number of times in the Arctic Sea and they just used a small atomic bomb to plug the hole.
There are so many things wrong with that...
Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #210
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBORCITYOBL View Post
we got the last three Presidential Elections wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBORCITYOBL View Post
don't think I believed McCain/Palin would have been the way to go