Drill, baby, drill!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The politics of this issue seem to be some sort of escape for people. Everyone wants to talk about the politics because talking about the actual issue would lead everyone to realizing that we're completely and totally fucked and that the world as we know it is going to be significantly altered forever by this disaster.

I'll answer any question you have if you'll answer the very good question in the article Irvine posted.

That's my question for you, what's yours for me?

INDY, I know I give you a hard time every once in awhile, and it seems like you're backing off from this line of attack, which is a good thing.

The reason I do it, is because honestly I think you're better than that.

Hannity, Beck, Rush and the rest of the talk radio goons don't need facts, facts are just thorns in their sides and they get in the way, but you don't have to fall in line with them.

I was listening to Laura Ingraham today and she was still pursuing this line of attack today on her show when a conservative supporter called her and pointed out how she was wrong, she cut him off and continued down the path of lies.

I think you're better than that... :shrug:

Sad to see this topic fall off of the first page of listed Threads. I just want everyone to know things are not so good down here.

We know, things are terrible and could possibly get worse with a storm.

Why isn't Jesus, Palin, the free market, or Sean Hannity fixing this?

The politics of this issue seem to be some sort of escape for people. Everyone wants to talk about the politics because talking about the actual issue would lead everyone to realizing that we're completely and totally fucked and that the world as we know it is going to be significantly altered forever by this disaster.

It's not entirely an escape, it's something many people can at least wrap their minds around and speak to...in pointless circles maybe but it makes people feel like they have at least some grasp on the situation. People like to stick to what they think they know.

The reality of what has happened, that we actually have no control over it and what it will mean in real terms to our way of life is frankly beyond measurable.

It's so huge it's difficult to process. It's like Katrina in slow motion with no way to stop it and 40 million people to evacuate with nowhere to go, no way of even suggesting it without mass panic and denial, and no way of knowing when it's too late.

It's a bit like finding out someone is terminally ill and most people don't know what to do or say.

I just want everyone to know things are not so good down here.

So much uncertainty, I hope you and your family are able to stay out of harm's way.

The news only focuses on BP, blame, lastest failed attempts to cap etc.

What's actually going on where you are? How are people coping and supporting each other? Are people who can making plans to leave?

So much uncertainty, I hope you and your family are able to stay out of harm's way.

The news only focuses on BP, blame, lastest failed attempts to cap etc.

What's actually going on where you are? How are people coping and supporting each other? Are people who can making plans to leave?

I'm also curious what people ARE spending money on? If there are payments being made to some of the people out of work, are people working of their houses? Shopping? Eating out?

The layers of disaster with losing both tourism and fishing seems like it should be crippling, but I'd love to know if some part of the economy is looking up.

It's a bit like finding out someone is terminally ill and most people don't know what to do or say.

That's a perfect way of putting it. Exactly right.

I'd be curious to know what the deal is economy-wise right now, too, and how people are dealing with this. As for hurricanes, I'm sincerely hoping that the one headed for the Gulf now doesn't pan out to be much of anything (for the oil spill as well as because I don't want anyone to relive Katrina).

Has anyone managed to find some way to try and take care of the oil, just hasn't put it into practice yet?

Angela

I had no idea there were so many BP gas stations in Wisconsin. I refused to stop at any of them this week while on vacation.

Seattle has a lot of am/pm stations, which I guess is part of BP. They usually have the cheapest gas but I rarely go there because all the ones near me are irritating to drive in and out of.

Now I have another reason not to go!

There is something satisfying about not doing what you weren't doing anyway, but now you get to take a stand with it.:D:

There is a little protesting at some BP stations in the Twin Cities.
I heard one station owner interviewed on the radio. He said he didn't understand protesting at BP gas stations because all BP stations are franchises that just buy their gas from BP, and it's just hurting small business owners.

Uh, Duh! You buy your gas from the BP overlords.

There is a little protesting at some BP stations in the Twin Cities.
I heard one station owner interviewed on the radio. He said he didn't understand protesting at BP gas stations because all BP stations are franchises that just buy their gas from BP, and it's just hurting small business owners.

Uh, Duh! You buy your gas from the BP overlords.

I wonder if it's true what that station owner said. I know there are roughly three steps involved in gas production: Pumping up the oil, refining it and distributing it to the gas stations. And all three steps aren't necessarily conducted by the same oil company (for instance an oil tanker changes owners for an average of 13 times on a single trip - hello speculation!). So if you get your fuel at BP station, it might be refined by Shell and the oil could have been produced by Exxon. This also means that if you get gas at different station, there's a chance BP is still involved.

I appreciate the sentiment of boycotting BP stations but I also think it does little more than hurt the small business owner. Besides, this is not solely a BP problem in the sense that it could just as easily have been any other company. It's not a BP problem but one that involves the entire branche.

We basically need to get off the oil addiction.

I appreciate the sentiment of boycotting BP stations but I also think it does little more than hurt the small business owner. Besides, this is not solely a BP problem in the sense that it could just as easily have been any other company. It's not a BP problem but one that involves the entire branche.

We basically need to get off the oil addiction.

Exactly. Walk or bike. That's how you give big oil an F-U.

At least, drive less and get a fuel efficient car.

Exactly. Walk or bike. That's how you give big oil an F-U.
Unfortunately, how often is that a reasonable solution? Last year, I worked 35 miles from home. This year, 15. I need to drive.

I'm fortunate to go to a university built upon walking and biking, but when I'm at home, there's really no reasonable way for anyone to walk or bike places, as suburbs like mine are just too spread out.

I would love a Honda FCX Clarity.
It is the ultimate F-U to oil companies, and now Honda is working on a home hydrogen refueling station that is solar-powered and electrolyzes water to produce the hydrogen.

Refueling your car at home - latimes.com

Honda didn't mention cost. The whole setup - car, hydrogen station, solar panels, etc could easily reach into the six figures.

Honda didn't mention cost. The whole setup - car, hydrogen station, solar panels, etc could easily reach into the six figures.

Right now, the people who were selected to try the cars and refuel at the fixed Hydrogen stations are paying $600 per month to lease the vehicles. It is estimated that each of these cars that are on the road cost about $1,000,000 each.

Those figures would change substantially with mass production.

I don't know what Honda's home refueling station would cost, but for natural gas home vehicle refueling, I've seen figures of $1,000-$2,500. Electrolyzing water into Hydrogen and Oxygen is fairly simple technology (I have a model rocket toy that does it, and it cost $40.).

So, if the car was sold at a reasonable price ($25,000-$50,000?), I think a home refueling station wouldn't be unaffordable ($5,000?).

but for natural gas home vehicle refueling, I've seen figures of $1,000-$2,500. Electrolyzing water into Hydrogen and Oxygen is fairly simple technology (I have a model rocket toy that does it, and it cost $40.).

In that case (of natural gas), they could probably skip the hydrogen part and just go with natural gas vehicles (which are mostly buses in the US). The Honda Civic GX is a CNG car, but the reliance on fossil fuels is till there as it would be on a CNG to hydrogen car.

Scenes from a new church food pantry in the Gulf – Religion - CNN.com Blogs

The oil spill has hit Bayou La Batre, Alabama in a big way. Nearly everyone there depends on fishing and on the water for a living. At the moment, there are few sources of income. Adults who've never been out of work and have always provided for their families are now standing in line in the Alabama heat to accept some free food.

The day we were there, two organizations–the Bay Area Food Bank and a group called BPSOS, short for the Boat People S.O.S. Committee–joined together to distribute food to the community at the St. Margaret Catholic Church.

The Bay Area Food Bank gathers food from grocery stores and, with corporate support and government grants, distributes it to the needy. There hadn’t been a need for a mobile pantry delivery to Bayou La Batre until the oil spill occurred.

BPSOS is a national organization formed in 1980 to Vietnamese immigrants to the U.S. One-third of Bayou La Batre is Asian, including many Vietnamese.

Many people I talked to that day were hungry, concerned about their livelihood and the source of their next paycheck, but few were angry. Most said they’d be OK. Katrina had rocked their world, they said, but they eventually recovered.

They would get through this, too. This was the life they knew, they said, and they'd never think of moving away. The water had always provided for them and they believe it will again in the future.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom