Drill, baby, drill!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With all of the campaign funds going to true-blue Americans like Mr. Barton they really shouldn't be held accountable for any of this, poor bastards.

Obama top recipient of BP contributions last 20 yrs.
By The Daily Caller

BP and its employees have given more than $3.5 million to federal candidates over the past 20 years, with the largest chunk of their money going to Obama, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Donations come from a mix of employees and the company’s political action committees — $2.89 million flowed to campaigns from BP-related PACs and about $638,000 came from individuals.

Oh wait, you said "true-blue Americans." Never mind.

thanks for showing us that Obama isn't a bought-and-sold politician. :up:

the president stepped up for the American people -- regardless of who writes him campaign checks -- and knocked out a minimum of $20bn.

contrast this to the Republican party, who feel just awful for poor BP. Obama is on the side of the fishermen of the Gulf; the Republicans are on the side of the oil companies.

this, indeed, is Change We Can Believe in.

I just have two questions regarding the whole "praying" thing: If God can apparently fix this problem, why didn't God to stop it to begin with? Eleven people died as a result of that explosion, why would God allow that?

Seems the president and the governor agree.

Obama's asking for spiritual guidance to help the people who are struggling get through the coming days, a means of comfort to those who are suffering this mess directly. He's not literally looking to God to magically get rid of the oil itself or whatever. Sarah, on the other hand, comes off as suggesting that in her Twitter response. Even if she doesn't mean it that way, that's what it sounds like.

Keep in mind, people, this is the same woman who, on tape, was shown to be getting some sort of biblical cleansing of evil or something to that effect.

Angela

I just have two questions regarding the whole "praying" thing: If God can apparently fix this problem, why didn't God to stop it to begin with? Eleven people died as a result of that explosion, why would God allow that?

Obama's asking for spiritual guidance to help the people who are struggling get through the coming days, a means of comfort to those who are suffering this mess directly. He's not literally looking to God to magically get rid of the oil itself or whatever. Sarah, on the other hand, comes off as suggesting that in her Twitter response. Even if she doesn't mean it that way, that's what it sounds like.

Keep in mind, people, this is the same woman who, on tape, was shown to be getting some sort of biblical cleansing of evil or something to that effect.

Angela

Never put anything past ol' Sarah.

Grade A nutjob by any objective standard.

Too bad the biblical cleansing never gave her that crucial thing in life known as a brain.

a hand capable of shaking down bitch-slapping $20b out of BP! boo-yah!

You really should read up on the whole tyranny thing.

How about letting our laws and courts take care of BP and leave the government shaking down bitch-slapping corporations to the countries without a constitution that limits the powers of the federal government and president.

BP isn't owed an apology but maybe a little due process is in order.

How about letting our laws and courts take care of BP and leave the government shaking down bitch-slapping corporations to the countries without a constitution that limits the powers of the federal government and president.

So wait you do feel bad for BP having to ante up the 20 billion?

The people in Alaska are still waiting to this day for the "laws and courts and due process" to catch up with Exxon/Mobil.

GREAT POST :|

One more point, if you read my earlier posts I prolly was the most critical of Obama, all of these politicians are in the pockets of big business and they need to shown the door - EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM.

This is quite fresh coming from someone who fought so hard to defend a newly defined term just so that the constitution wouldn't have to be applied to the people he thought should be tortured. But now you like the constitution again and you want it applied to corporations? Hilarity all around :applaud:

waterboard6.jpg

here's some mainstream GOP thought -- that Obama is Hitler and that BP are the real victims here, and that government tyranny is measured by crimes against corporations and not torture or extraordinary rendition.

Is U.S. Now On Slippery Slope To Tyranny?

By THOMAS SOWELL Posted 06/21/2010 06:13 PM ET

View Enlarged Image

When Adolf Hitler was building up the Nazi movement in the 1920s, leading up to his taking power in the 1930s, he deliberately sought to activate people who did not normally pay much attention to politics.

Such people were a valuable addition to his political base, since they were particularly susceptible to Hitler's rhetoric and had far less basis for questioning his assumptions or his conclusions.

"Useful idiots" was the term supposedly coined by V.I. Lenin to describe similarly unthinking supporters of his dictatorship in the Soviet Union.

Put differently, a democracy needs informed citizens if it is to thrive, or ultimately even survive.

In our times, American democracy is being dismantled, piece by piece, before our very eyes by the current administration in Washington, and few people seem to be concerned about it.

The president's poll numbers are going down because increasing numbers of people disagree with particular policies of his, but the damage being done to the fundamental structure of this nation goes far beyond particular counterproductive policies.

Just where in the Constitution of the United States does it say that a president has the authority to extract vast sums of money from a private enterprise and distribute it as he sees fit to whomever he deems worthy of compensation? Nowhere.

And yet that is precisely what is happening with a $20 billion fund to be provided by BP to compensate people harmed by their oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Many among the public and in the media may think that the issue is simply whether BP's oil spill has damaged many people, who ought to be compensated.

But our government is supposed to be "a government of laws and not of men."

If our laws and our institutions determine that BP ought to pay $20 billion — or $50 billion or $100 billion — then so be it.

But the Constitution says that private property is not to be confiscated by the government without "due process of law."

Technically, it has not been confiscated by Barack Obama, but that is a distinction without a difference.

With vastly expanded powers of government available at the discretion of politicians and bureaucrats, private individuals and organizations can be forced into accepting the imposition of powers that were never granted to the government by the Constitution.

If you believe that the end justifies the means, then you don't believe in constitutional government.

Is U.S. Now On Slippery Slope To Tyranny? - IBD - Investors.com

(without reading the other replies)

I don't understand this at all....just how much oil WAS there in that rig that's causing it to leak for over 60 days!! isn't it goint to dry up by itself? I mean, there's not an unlimited supply of oil down there, is there?

Why isn't it drying up by itself?

(without reading the other replies)

I don't understand this at all....just how much oil WAS there in that rig that's causing it to leak for over 60 days!! isn't it goint to dry up by itself? I mean, there's not an unlimited supply of oil down there, is there?

Why isn't it drying up by itself?

There's high pressure that deep and it's pushing the oil to the surface. The relief wells being drilled are supposed to relieve the pressure and slow the leak. Who knows how long this could go on ??? :slant:

if corporations are people, can we please arrest BP for negligence and 11 counts of manslaughter?

Excellent question :up:.

As for that article you shared...sigh. Of course, time for the GOP to revert back to that old song and dance. You know, I was one of the ones to defend Bush against the "OMG HE'S LIKE HITLER!!!!!!!" attacks 'cause I thought they were stupid and baseless and a serious stretch, so when the hell are more people going to stand up and defend Obama against the same thing? Why was it sooooooo horrible for people to say that about Bush, but then those very people who got offended by that comparison now say it about Obama and there's not nearly the same outcry, it's perfectly okay then?

The Hitler comparisons are without merit, insulting, first and foremost to people who actually went through the hell Hitler exacted, second, to Obama, and third, to those who voted for him (as it makes us look like we're dummies who voted for pure evil), and just pathetic. I seriously wish people would knock it off with that now, 'cause it's really getting old and it's really pissing me off.

Angela

Obama ban on deepwater drilling blocked
Judge sides with industry, which opposed six-month moratorium

NEW ORLEANS - A federal judge Tuesday ruled against the Obama administration's six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling in the wake of the BP oil spill. The White House, which had hoped the ban would provide time to ensure other wells are operating safely, immediately said it would appeal.

The ruling comes in a lawsuit filed by drilling companies to reverse the ban imposed by the Department of Interior, which halted the approval of any new permits for deepwater drilling and suspended drilling at 33 exploratory wells in the Gulf.

A federal judge in Louisiana granted the drillers' request for a preliminary restraining order that would prevent the ban from taking effect until a trial is held. He did not set a trial date.

District Judge Martin Feldman said the Interior Department failed to provide adequate reasoning and that the moratorium seems to assume that because one rig failed, all companies and rigs doing deepwater drilling pose an imminent danger.
:applaud: For common sense

And cue INDY's exit to never answer that question...
I'll answer any question you have if you'll answer the very good question in the article Irvine posted.
Just where in the Constitution of the United States does it say that a president has the authority to extract vast sums of money from a private enterprise and distribute it as he sees fit to whomever he deems worthy of compensation?

That's my question for you, what's yours for me?

maybe we should waterboard BP instead of asking them for money?

i do love that the GOP are rallying around BP. political gold for the Democrats.

I'll answer any question you have if you'll answer the very good question in the article Irvine posted.

That's my question for you, what's yours for me?

Has BP fought this or refused to do so? Where exactly is the "exatraction"? Everything I've read, including FROM BP has said this is an agreement that both parties came to...

District Judge Martin Feldman said the Interior Department failed to provide adequate reasoning and that the moratorium seems to assume that because one rig failed, all companies and rigs doing deepwater drilling pose an imminent danger.

Yeah! I mean, really, it's not like this has happened all THAT much.

Oh, except for that one time. And the time before that. And the time before that. And so on...(see link):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oil_spills

So, uh, yeah, what were you saying again, Judge Feldman? Also, go talk to the people living along the coastline who'll have this oil seeping into their drinking water and swimming water, whose fishing jobs are being affected because the fish they need are sick and covered in oil and dying, the eleven deceased workers' family members, etc., etc., and ask THEM about "imminent threats". If this doesn't showcase an "imminent threat", I'd like to know what the hell does? I sincerely hope you're joking in cheering this judge's decision as something equating "common sense", INDY, 'cause, um, no. Just...no. Not even close.

See what I mean, though? Obama can fight all he wants, some idiot's still going to fight him on this issue for reasons I am at a loss to understand.

Angela

I don't see where the courts come in yet. BP made the deal on their own accord. It's going to end up costing a lot more than $20B so maybe they thought a gesture of good faith was a $mart move.

Besides, BP hired a former Clinton administration lawyer and Fannie Mae executive to negotiate for them :lol: She knows how to cut a good deal.

Back
Top Bottom