Dozens Dead After Islamists Burn Down Nigerian School - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 10:09 AM
Dozens Dead After Islamists Burn Down Nigerian School



Quote:
At least 29 pupils and a teacher have been killed in a pre-dawn attack by suspected Islamists on a school in northeastern Nigeria, reports say.
Eyewitnesses said some of the victims were burned alive in the attack, in Mamudo town, Yobe state.
Dozens of schools have been burned in attacks by Islamists since 2010.
Yobe is one of three states where President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency in May, sending thousands of troops to the area.
A reporter from the Associated Press found chaotic scenes at the hospital in nearby Potiskum, where traumatised parents struggled to identify their children among the charred bodies and gunshot victims.
Survivors said suspected militants arrived with containers full of fuel and set fire to the school.
Some pupils were burned alive, others were shot as they tried to flee.
The BBC's Will Ross, in Lagos, says this area has frequently been attacked by the Boko Haram militant group.
More than 600 people were believed to have been killed in 2012 by the group, which is fighting to overthrow the government and create an Islamic state in Nigeria's predominantly Muslim north.
BBC News - 'Dozens dead' in school attack in Nigeria's Yobe state

Bet you this particular school was attacked because it was a girls' school.

There's a lot of cases of radical Muslims trying to set up Taliban-like states in Africa. Last year, they tried to do the same to Mali, which is not far from Nigeria.

ETA: Brandon Darby from Breitbart said this in a tweet: "Please remind the Islamists in Nigeria that theirs is a "religion of peace?" They must've missed the memo"
__________________

__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 09:09 AM
just the fringe......
__________________

__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 07:09 AM
How can someone have so much hatred in their hearts to actually carry out a mission like this?
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,234
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
just the fringe......
Um... yes? Not to rehash the whole argument, but I'm pretty sure most Muslims aren't cool with this.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 08:09 AM
I'm going to have to agree with Jive on this. If a group like this were united by any other ideology than religion, everyone would be ready to condemn the ideology. However, I think society has taught us that religion is somehow distinct from any other form of ideology, and therefore must be treated with kid gloves.
__________________
Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 09:09 AM
Unless its the Catholic church
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,234
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb8844 View Post
I'm going to have to agree with Jive on this. If a group like this were united by any other ideology than religion, everyone would be ready to condemn the ideology. However, I think society has taught us that religion is somehow distinct from any other form of ideology, and therefore must be treated with kid gloves.
I don't buy that. If that group was a radical right wing republican/far left group, you wouldn't see people condemning conservatism/liberalism as a whole - and those who did solely based on the actions of, yes, a fringe element, would be wrong.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #8
War Child
 
Caleb8844's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 662
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post

I don't buy that. If that group was a radical right wing republican/far left group, you wouldn't see people condemning conservatism/liberalism as a whole - and those who did solely based on the actions of, yes, a fringe element, would be wrong.
That comparison isn't fair, though. The only way it would be fair would be if conservatism/liberalism actually called for such acts of terror, and those who didn't engage in such acts were simply glossing over that part of the dogma.

"Radical" Islamists aren't committing acts of terror because they're straying from the core tenets of their faith; they're committing such atrocities because they hold on to the core tenets of their faith too tightly.

If, in order to practice an ideology peacefully, one must ignore parts of the ideology, then perhaps the ideology is harmful in and of itself.
__________________
Caleb8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 03:09 PM
Wow.


I don't think it's religion that is to blame. These insane lunatics just use religion as an excuse to do whatever they deem 'necessary' to achieve their goal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I don't buy that. If that group was a radical right wing republican/far left group, you wouldn't see people condemning conservatism/liberalism as a whole - and those who did solely based on the actions of, yes, a fringe element, would be wrong.

To a certain degree this is true. But I do see people use the antics of the Westboro Baptist Church as a reason to hate all Christians.
__________________
AEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,234
Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post

To a certain degree this is true. But I do see people use the antics of the Westboro Baptist Church as a reason to hate all Christians.
Right, and those people are wrong to do so.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 06:09 AM
I thought Pearl did a very good job of framing this article as the work of Islamists and radical Muslims, and not the work of all Muslims worldwide.

What is the best way to address this very active, violent fringe?
__________________
nbcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #13
Acrobat
 
Badyouken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Canada
Posts: 487
Local Time: 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcrusader View Post
I thought Pearl did a very good job of framing this article as the work of Islamists and radical Muslims, and not the work of all Muslims worldwide.

What is the best way to address this very active, violent fringe?
Education.

Setting up a proper education system in those poor, remote areas is a whole other matter, though.
__________________
Badyouken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badyouken View Post
Education.

Setting up a proper education system in those poor, remote areas is a whole other matter, though.
The Islamist and extreme Muslim leaders are often well educated. These incidents do not arise from people emerging from caves with C4 strapped to their chests.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,272
Local Time: 09:09 AM
SECULAR education. When you say many are well educated - we are not typically talking about Oxford and Harvard. Little kids going through madrassas and other faith-based schools is a huge issue.
__________________

__________________
anitram is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com