Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:01 PM

Old 08-22-2010, 03:11 AM   #77
Refugee

Local Time: 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
BTW, I must say that I think some posters are being too hard on Achtung Bono. While I grant, that I've often been more than a little astounded at some of her positions and views, she's always struck me as completely sincere and not intending any disrespect. Unless, others know something I don't, I feel the harsh criticism of her IS unwarranted. She said she wants to learn, so take that at face value. . . I mean, as a black man, I would be as likely as anyone to be offended by her questions, and I wasn't.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciated what you said. You and I have been on opposite sides of many issues but I'm so glad that you understand that none of my posts are ever meant to offend.

Thank you very much.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:17 AM   #78
45:33

Local Time: 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
The German word for "negro" is seen as racially derogatory as well. However, there is certain elements in our society who still like to use the word and when told that it's not correct to say it, they'd go into a long story of how this is just a scientific term that's perfectly okay to use as it just neutrally refers to black people. Generally quite obvious what's their real intentions behind it, and pretty pathetic.
I find it interesting to see how different it is sometimes among societies. What is in one country perfectly okay to say, might be a great offense in another. And I think we should always be aware that this might be the case when speaking to people from another country.
from what i know of italian "porco dio" is extremely offensive, to the point where i shouldn't even write it. but in Australia you'd just get a reaction of "that's a weird thing to say".
Old 08-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #79
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post

BTW, I must say that I think some posters are being too hard on Achtung Bono. While I grant, that I've often been more than a little astounded at some of her positions and views, she's always struck me as completely sincere and not intending any disrespect. Unless, others know something I don't, I feel the harsh criticism of her IS unwarranted. She said she wants to learn, so take that at face value. . . I mean, as a black man, I would be as likely as anyone to be offended by her questions, and I wasn't.
I don't know, I think there is some disrespect when she's been told the power of the word(this isn't her first post in FYM on related threads) and then posts a 5 minute video of nothing but the word being repeated over and over thinking that will lighten the mood, and then just a few posts later mockingly laughs. She may not understand the full context, but like AEON said, "It seems the better way is to simply respect the wishes of those offended by a particular term". Just lately in another thread she defended a case where an Arab man was convicted of rape because he didn't let the woman know he was Arab, her excuse was "Jews tend to go with Jews", even if it's just a one night stand. So I think she has something in common with Dr Laura here, and she's trying to play up her naivety.

Like I said, I don't know, but it didn't come off completely innocent to me.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #80
Refugee

Local Time: 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
I don't know, I think there is some disrespect when she's been told the power of the word(this isn't her first post in FYM on related threads) and then posts a 5 minute video of nothing but the word being repeated over and over thinking that will lighten the mood, and then just a few posts later mockingly laughs. She may not understand the full context, but like AEON said, "It seems the better way is to simply respect the wishes of those offended by a particular term". Just lately in another thread she defended a case where an Arab man was convicted of rape because he didn't let the woman know he was Arab, her excuse was "Jews tend to go with Jews", even if it's just a one night stand. So I think she has something in common with Dr Laura here, and she's trying to play up her naivety.

Like I said, I don't know, but it didn't come off completely innocent to me.
Hi BVS,

Actually I think you may have misunderstood my intentions when posting the Blazing Saddles video. It wasn't to perpetuate the negativity of a word that is used as a racial slur but rather to show how it is used in a funny way, and that Mel Brooks got away with it because he made it funny and inoffensive (in my opinion at least).

As for the rape case...make no mistake - Race has absolutely NOTHING to do with this horrible crime. I would feel the same way if he had told her that he was a stockbroker when he was actually a homeless guy, just to get her in bed. Between you and me and the lamppost - would a woman be more inclined to sleep with a successful stockbroker or with a derelict homeless guy on the street?

It WAS totally innocent - I may sometimes have trouble conveying the exact message I wish to convey, but I would never be intentionally hurtful or offensive.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #81
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchtungBono View Post
Hi BVS,

Actually I think you may have misunderstood my intentions when posting the Blazing Saddles video. It wasn't to perpetuate the negativity of a word that is used as a racial slur but rather to show how it is used in a funny way, and that Mel Brooks got away with it because he made it funny and inoffensive (in my opinion at least).
And in your opinion it would still have been funny and inoffensive if it was kike, kike, kike, etc?

Quote:
As for the rape case...make no mistake - Race has absolutely NOTHING to do with this horrible crime. I would feel the same way if he had told her that he was a stockbroker when he was actually a homeless guy, just to get her in bed. Between you and me and the lamppost - would a woman be more inclined to sleep with a successful stockbroker or with a derelict homeless guy on the street?
How can you say this?! "Horrible crime"? Are you serious?

Consent is consent. We're not talking marriage, we're talking about a one night stand. This had everything to do with race.

Your example doesn't work, for money would not matter in a one night stand, but hygeine would.

Quote:
It WAS totally innocent - I may sometimes have trouble conveying the exact message I wish to convey, but I would never be intentionally hurtful or offensive.
Ok, then I'll believe you and hold you to that...