don't marry outside of your race

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She worships O'reilly and he's discussed American race issues quite a bit, so I would think there would at least be some small understanding, at least some concept of "the N word", especially if she knew "wop" which I believe is mostly North American as well.

lol bvs - I WORSHIP o'reilly??...heehee - that's cute.

Is it not true that "******" is a term for Negro just like "Broad", "Skirt", "Dame" are terms for women? THOSE words aren't offensive and they're used all the time.

I believe that the word itself isn't offensive - the context it's used in IS.....
Case in point, in 1974 Mel Brooks used the word REPEATEDLY in "Blazing Saddles" and created a cinematic masterpiece.
Decades later, Michael Richards used the word REPEATEDLY in his act and, in effect, derailed his career.

So like I said....it's all about context......but that's just me.......

btw - here's something to lighten things up a bit......

YouTube - Blazing Saddles in 5 seconds

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm late for my prayer service with Reverand O'reilly.....heehee.

Have a good day.

Is it not true that "******" is a term for Negro just like "Broad", "Skirt", "Dame" are terms for women? THOSE words aren't offensive and they're used all the time.

I believe that the word itself isn't offensive - the context it's used in IS.....
Case in point, in 1974 Mel Brooks used the word REPEATEDLY in "Blazing Saddles" and created a cinematic masterpiece.
Decades later, Michael Richards used the word REPEATEDLY in his act and, in effect, derailed his career.

YouTube - Blazing Saddles in 5 seconds

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm late for my prayer service with Reverand O'reilly.....heehee.

Have a good day.

No, that's not true.

But if you want to make that argument, out of curiosity last night when I found the links I posted for you, I also looked up the etymology of the word "kike." Turns out that when that word was first used, it had a fairly innocuous meaning too, often used within the Jewish community to refer to other Jews. In fact, it could be said that it was almost an affectionate term. Bet that doesn't lessen the sting of hearing it now, though.

Same for the black community, and words that are now hurtful and offensive to them.

I don't know anyone else who is as honest and committed to the truth as Bill O'Reilly. I am an addict of the "Factor" and after seeing his segment on Neil Cavuto's show tonight I am more convinced than ever that O'Reilly would be one of the best presidents EVER - both in terms of hard-hitting policies and personal integrity.

O'Reilly ROCKS!!!!

That's blind worship if I've seen it...

No, that's like saying:

Is it not true that "hook nose" is a term for kike just like "broad" is a term for women?

I knew this is what you were going for, and that you weren't as oblivious as others suggested.

You seem to insinuate that I'm a problematic poster -

I know that it's USED as a derogatory word......

I love it when people not only answer their own questions, but prove that another's reaction was FULLY warranted.

The lightning-rod life of Dr. Laura - CNN.com

"The loudest criticism came after Schlessinger, then an adherent of Orthodox Judaism (she later left the faith), called homosexuality a "biological error." With a new "Dr. Laura" syndicated TV talk show in the works at the time, gay rights groups protested Schlessinger, the show's producers and its advertisers. The TV program, which premiered in September 2000, was canceled six months later.

On her blog, she's toned down her comments about homosexuality, saying that though she's "for marriage as a bond between a man and a woman," she's backed "efforts to encourage openness and acceptance of gays in their own families, much less society."

Schlessinger also suffered a decline after the attacks of September 11, 2001, though Harrison ascribes that to an increased focus on political and military issues in contrast to Schlessinger's bread and butter: relationships. She's since built her audience back up, he said.

And she's still inflaming tempers. Several years ago, when asked by a Salt Lake Tribune reporter about advice for military spouses, she said -- in her Dr. Laura way -- they should be unabashedly supportive. "He could come back without arms, legs or eyeballs, and you're bitching?" said Schlessinger, whose son served in Afghanistan. "You're not dodging bullets, so I don't want to hear any whining."

Some military families complained and she later claimed her words had been taken out of context.

In 2008, after New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer admitted cheating on his wife, Schlessinger said in reference to the incident, "I hold women accountable for tossing out perfectly good men by not treating them with the love and kindness and respect and attention they need." Again, a minor media firestorm arose.

Her strong-fragile duality remained apparent, said Matthew LaPlante, the Salt Lake reporter who interviewed Schlessinger.

"She was genuinely hurt and worried that what she'd said had come across as unduly harsh for military families ... but at the same time, she didn't apologize. She deflected responsibility," he said. "

Dr. Laura is another sad example of someone who was cultivated her talent for saying bombastic things to keep her ratings up and herself in the public eye. She's part of a cadre of entertainers who specialize in "telling it like it is". . .i.e. being rude and disrespectful. People just eat it up when someone is "defiantly politically incorrect" and doesn't "sugarcoat" the "truth."

Her shtick is so transparent.

BTW, I must say that I think some posters are being too hard on Achtung Bono. While I grant, that I've often been more than a little astounded at some of her positions and views, she's always struck me as completely sincere and not intending any disrespect. Unless, others know something I don't, I feel the harsh criticism of her IS unwarranted. She said she wants to learn, so take that at face value. . . I mean, as a black man, I would be as likely as anyone to be offended by her questions, and I wasn't. :shrug:

The German word for "negro" is seen as racially derogatory as well. However, there is certain elements in our society who still like to use the word and when told that it's not correct to say it, they'd go into a long story of how this is just a scientific term that's perfectly okay to use as it just neutrally refers to black people. Generally quite obvious what's their real intentions behind it, and pretty pathetic.
I find it interesting to see how different it is sometimes among societies. What is in one country perfectly okay to say, might be a great offense in another. And I think we should always be aware that this might be the case when speaking to people from another country.

Languages and the meanings of words are dynamic and fluid. If someone finds a word offensive today, does it matter where it originated? Does it matter that some use it and get away with it? You can't control their tongues, but you can control your own. Why purposely push someone's buttons?

It seems the better way is to simply respect the wishes of those offended by a particular term.

BTW, I must say that I think some posters are being too hard on Achtung Bono. While I grant, that I've often been more than a little astounded at some of her positions and views, she's always struck me as completely sincere and not intending any disrespect. Unless, others know something I don't, I feel the harsh criticism of her IS unwarranted. She said she wants to learn, so take that at face value. . . I mean, as a black man, I would be as likely as anyone to be offended by her questions, and I wasn't. :shrug:

I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciated what you said. You and I have been on opposite sides of many issues but I'm so glad that you understand that none of my posts are ever meant to offend.

Thank you very much.

The German word for "negro" is seen as racially derogatory as well. However, there is certain elements in our society who still like to use the word and when told that it's not correct to say it, they'd go into a long story of how this is just a scientific term that's perfectly okay to use as it just neutrally refers to black people. Generally quite obvious what's their real intentions behind it, and pretty pathetic.
I find it interesting to see how different it is sometimes among societies. What is in one country perfectly okay to say, might be a great offense in another. And I think we should always be aware that this might be the case when speaking to people from another country.

from what i know of italian "porco dio" is extremely offensive, to the point where i shouldn't even write it. but in Australia you'd just get a reaction of "that's a weird thing to say".

I don't know, I think there is some disrespect when she's been told the power of the word(this isn't her first post in FYM on related threads) and then posts a 5 minute video of nothing but the word being repeated over and over thinking that will lighten the mood, and then just a few posts later mockingly laughs. She may not understand the full context, but like AEON said, "It seems the better way is to simply respect the wishes of those offended by a particular term". Just lately in another thread she defended a case where an Arab man was convicted of rape because he didn't let the woman know he was Arab, her excuse was "Jews tend to go with Jews", even if it's just a one night stand. So I think she has something in common with Dr Laura here, and she's trying to play up her naivety.

Like I said, I don't know, but it didn't come off completely innocent to me.

I don't know, I think there is some disrespect when she's been told the power of the word(this isn't her first post in FYM on related threads) and then posts a 5 minute video of nothing but the word being repeated over and over thinking that will lighten the mood, and then just a few posts later mockingly laughs. She may not understand the full context, but like AEON said, "It seems the better way is to simply respect the wishes of those offended by a particular term". Just lately in another thread she defended a case where an Arab man was convicted of rape because he didn't let the woman know he was Arab, her excuse was "Jews tend to go with Jews", even if it's just a one night stand. So I think she has something in common with Dr Laura here, and she's trying to play up her naivety.

Like I said, I don't know, but it didn't come off completely innocent to me.

Hi BVS,

Actually I think you may have misunderstood my intentions when posting the Blazing Saddles video. It wasn't to perpetuate the negativity of a word that is used as a racial slur but rather to show how it is used in a funny way, and that Mel Brooks got away with it because he made it funny and inoffensive (in my opinion at least).

As for the rape case...make no mistake - Race has absolutely NOTHING to do with this horrible crime. I would feel the same way if he had told her that he was a stockbroker when he was actually a homeless guy, just to get her in bed. Between you and me and the lamppost - would a woman be more inclined to sleep with a successful stockbroker or with a derelict homeless guy on the street?

It WAS totally innocent - I may sometimes have trouble conveying the exact message I wish to convey, but I would never be intentionally hurtful or offensive.

Hi BVS,

Actually I think you may have misunderstood my intentions when posting the Blazing Saddles video. It wasn't to perpetuate the negativity of a word that is used as a racial slur but rather to show how it is used in a funny way, and that Mel Brooks got away with it because he made it funny and inoffensive (in my opinion at least).
And in your opinion it would still have been funny and inoffensive if it was kike, kike, kike, etc?

As for the rape case...make no mistake - Race has absolutely NOTHING to do with this horrible crime. I would feel the same way if he had told her that he was a stockbroker when he was actually a homeless guy, just to get her in bed. Between you and me and the lamppost - would a woman be more inclined to sleep with a successful stockbroker or with a derelict homeless guy on the street?
How can you say this?! "Horrible crime"? Are you serious?

Consent is consent. We're not talking marriage, we're talking about a one night stand. This had everything to do with race.

Your example doesn't work, for money would not matter in a one night stand, but hygeine would.

It WAS totally innocent - I may sometimes have trouble conveying the exact message I wish to convey, but I would never be intentionally hurtful or offensive.

Ok, then I'll believe you and hold you to that...

Back
Top Bottom