Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 07:23 PM
Don't be that Guy

Booze-fuelled sex assaults targeted - Canada - Canoe.ca

Quote:
This is the first time a sexual assault prevention campaign has centered around the offender, not the victim.

"When a woman is sexually assaulted, she'll go through a list in her mind and blame herself saying What on earth did I do wrong? I must have forgotten one of the rules" says Karen Smith of the Sexual Assault Centre of Edmonton, also at Friday's launch.

"This innovative SAVE committee believes that as long as society directs prevention strategies at women, we all stop looking at what the real problem is - the perpetrators."

Past campaigns have given tips to women on how to prevent sexual assault induced by drugs and alcohol but have proven to had minimal impact.

"Tips just reinforce the myth that somehow women are responsible for anticipating and preventing sexual violence," Smith says.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:23 AM

Old 11-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 05:23 AM

and fingers crossed that it has the desired affect
Old 11-21-2010, 02:14 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:23 PM
Very glad to see this. Let's hope it's the start of a trend and a change in attitude.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:48 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Honestly, I'm not going to hold my breath that much is going to change. But it's nice to see an ad campaign that's not aimed at women with the list of "DON'Ts".

I'm not even going to hold my breath that we get this ad campaign down in the States.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:23 PM
FINALLY. I've been saying the exact same thing for some time now, nice to see others out there think the same way . I've no problem with continuing to teach women how to keep themselves safe, but yeah, seriously, there can't be a crime if there isn't someone there willing to commit one in the first place.

That's an awesome idea. I really hope it does catch on and at least starts a conversation. More people need to see this.

Angela
Old 11-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:23 PM
I think it's sad that we have to have ads like that in 2010. Guys know not to be that guy-and the ones who don't (that these ads are presumably aimed at) certainly should. And others should be telling them not to be. Like other guys, parents, friends, etc.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Yeah, they SHOULD know, but sadly, there are many men who think that it can't be rape if the woman isn't screaming and fighting, and he's not forcibly holding her down. Not all rape is violent rape, and that's part of the point of this campaign.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I think it's sad that we have to have ads like that in 2010. Guys know not to be that guy-and the ones who don't (that these ads are presumably aimed at) certainly should. And others should be telling them not to be. Like other guys, parents, friends, etc.

These ads remind me of this Ricky Gervais stand up, 'what sort of society has to remind someone not to rape?"

YouTube - Ricky Gervais Fame - RAPE

'Was there people in court with the judge going, why did you rape her?'
'I forgot.' 'You'd forget your head if it wasn't screwed on now get out of here you little scamp.'
Old 11-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

That sort of thing is predatory regardless of whether she was passed out at a party or full conscious and taken against her will. I'm sorry, I just don't buy it that some "men" really don't see it as rape. A sexual predator may not see it as rape, but a "man" knows better.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
That sort of thing is predatory regardless of whether she was passed out at a party or full conscious and taken against her will. I'm sorry, I just don't buy it that some "men" really don't see it as rape. A sexual predator may not see it as rape, but a "man" knows better.
Agreed completely, Liesje. And I'm sceptical that an advertising campaign is going to change the behaviour of those sexual predator types that are responsible for the vast majority of rapes. A small proportion of men do this, it's just they tend to be repeat offenders. Personally, I reckon they are sociopaths/pyschopaths.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Old 11-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #13
Refugee

A gentleman certainly wouldn't take advantage of a woman who's had too much to drink. There are others who would and likely wouldn't consider themselves as sexual predators. That's the target audience.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

I understand, and I'm not really against the ad per se, but I agree with financeguy. I don't really care whether a sexual predator considers himself one or not, he (or she) is plain and simple. If it's not raping someone that's passed out then it's probably physically overpowering someone walking home alone. I do not think rapist and predators are defined or categorized based on their victim's level of consciousness. For me there is not a "spectrum" of any sort. Rape is rape, and I still maintain that a normal man knows the difference regardless of the scenario. I guess the ads don't hurt but honestly I don't see them actually changing the minds of a sexual predator. I don't see a guy looking at that and going, "oh, really? OK...."
Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I don't really care whether a sexual predator considers himself one or not, he (or she) is plain and simple. If it's not raping someone that's passed out then it's probably physically overpowering someone walking home alone. I do not think rapist and predators are defined or categorized based on their victim's level of consciousness. For me there is not a "spectrum" of any sort. Rape is rape, and I still maintain that a normal man knows the difference regardless of the scenario.
From the OP article:

Quote:
A recent study out of the United Kingdom involving 18- to 25-year-old men showed that 48% of the men didn't consider it rape if a woman is too drunk to know what was going on. And 46% did not consider it to be rape if a women changed her mind during sex. A quarter did not consider it rape if a women said no from the very start.