Doll Lets Little Girls Pretend To Breast Feed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
0_61_320_Bebe.jpg

Controversial Doll Lets Little Girls Pretend to Breast Feed

Wednesday, August 05, 2009
By Jessica Doyle FOXNews.com

A controversial new doll is leaving some parents wishing for the good old Cabbage Patch days.

A Spanish toymaker known as Berjuan has developed a breast-feeding doll that comes with a special halter top its young "mothers" wear as they pretend to breast-feed their "babies." The halter top has daisies that cover the little girls’ nipples and come undone just as easily as the flaps of a nursing bra would.

The doll — called Bebe Gloton, which translates as “gluttonous baby” — makes sucking noises as it "feeds."

Like many other dolls, Bebe Gloton can cry, signaling she wants more milk.

Although many health care providers promote the benefits of breast-feeding, parents around the world have criticized Berjuan, saying the idea of breast-feeding is too grown-up for young children -- and may even promote early pregnancy.

"That's not cool," Lori Reynolds, of El Paso, Texas, told KFOXTV.com. "No, I would never get that for my child."

But other moms said they support the product.

"I think that it’s great that people want to have a doll that promotes breast-feeding,” said Rose Haluschak, also of El Paso. “Most dolls that are purchased come with a bottle. That is the norm in society, an artificial way to feed your baby.”

Dr. Manny Alvarez, managing health editor of FOXNews.com, said although he supports the idea of breast-feeding, he sees how his own daughter plays with dolls and wonders if Bebe Gloton might speed up maternal urges in the little girls who play it.

“Pregnancy has to entail maturity and understanding,” Alvarez said. “It’s like introducing sex education in first grade instead of seventh or eighth grade. Or, it could inadvertently lead little girls to become traumatized. You never know the effects this could have until she’s older.”

Alvarez said breast-feeding reduces childhood infections, strengthens maternal bonding and increases the child’s immune system. But introducing breast-feeding to girls young enough to play with dolls seems inappropriate, he said.

“What’s next?” wrote Eric Ruhalter, a parenting columnist for New Jersey’s Star Ledger. “Bebe Sot — the doll who has a problem with a different kind of bottle, and loses his family, job and feelings of self-worth? Bebe Limp — the male doll who experiences erectile dysfunction? Bebe Cell Mate — a weak, unimposing doll that experiences all the indignation and humiliation of life in prison?

"Toy themes should be age appropriate. I think so anyway.”

:eyebrow:

While I don't think it would "speed up maternal urges" in young girls, I just think its weird. Why promote breast-feeding to little kids? There are other ways of doing that, rather than targeting those who are too young to breast feed.

Kids, boys and girls, should know in an age appropriate way that breastfeeding is a natural and normal human function, and that it's also beautiful. I just don't know if this doll is the best way in which to teach that-it is odd. Just when you think they've thought of everything...

“What’s next?” wrote Eric Ruhalter, a parenting columnist for New Jersey’s Star Ledger. “Bebe Sot — the doll who has a problem with a different kind of bottle, and loses his family, job and feelings of self-worth? Bebe Limp — the male doll who experiences erectile dysfunction? Bebe Cell Mate — a weak, unimposing doll that experiences all the indignation and humiliation of life in prison?

:lol:

"I think that it’s great that people want to have a doll that promotes breast-feeding,” said Rose Haluschak, also of El Paso.
:eyebrow: Discreetly breastfeeding in public is fine--for actual lactating adult women with actual nursing babies in tow. Encouraging young girls to play with their nipples in public (yes, I realize there's a shirt involved) is something else.

I'd be surprised if little girls even wanted this doll.

That's what I was thinking. I can't imagine that I would have wanted a doll like that when I was a little girl.

and that it's also beautiful.

Thats debatable. I've heard some of those slurping noises that babies can make :wink: but ya, the doll is kinda strange. little girls are strapping on fake nipples. no matter how you slice it, thats weird

The doll — called Bebe Gloton, which translates as “gluttonous baby” — makes sucking noises as it "feeds."

that's great a gluttonous baby

and in a few years they can graduate 'childhood obesity toddler" doll.

I've seen little girls "breastfeed" their dolls, and these are probably kids who have been exposed to breastfeeding. I see no problem promoting breastfeeding to young children as being healthy and natural, because sadly breastfeeding is still viewed by many as strange and unnatural.

However, I find the image of a child "breastfeeding" in public to be disturbing, way too many pedophiles around for a child to bring attention to her chest.

simulated breast feeding doll is insane, there is a complete difference between that and pretend to feed a doll with a bottle. Next thing you know we will have a doll that goes num 2. There a major difference between "life like" and "pretend".

Although many health care providers promote the benefits of breast-feeding, parents around the world have criticized Berjuan, saying the idea of breast-feeding is too grown-up for young children -- and may even promote early pregnancy.

Oh for godsakes. Such a long way to go in unwinding people's sexual hangups from feeding babies.

A parenting columnist comparing breastfeeding with alcoholism and erectile dysfunction? :madwife: :madspit: :censored:

^Both of those quotes stood out to me too.

I knew a lot of girls growing up who pretended to breastfeed their dolls, and I don't think any of them grew up to be promiscuous.

Oh for godsakes. Such a long way to go in unwinding people's sexual hangups from feeding babies.

A parenting columnist comparing breastfeeding with alcoholism and erectile dysfunction? :madwife: :madspit: :censored:

My thoughts, as well.

Interestingly enough, I didn't realize that people had issues with public breastfeeding until I was older. It was somewhat of a familiar sight in the area I grew up in.

I noticed that too. His column is about parenting advice

the original column

Baby Glutton the breastfeeding doll. A 'sucky' idea?
by Eric Ruhalter
Tuesday August 04, 2009, 1:03 PM
Bebe Gloton (Glutton Baby) Because you shouldn't have to wait until you have breasts before you start breastfeeding your baby.

For the child who has everything... A Breastfeeding Doll?!?!? Spanish toymaker Berjuan is proud to present (against their better judgment, I hope) Bebe Gloton, the first-ever breastfeeding doll. First-ever! I bet that's true. Because it's a bad idea. If I invented the combination Baby-Changing Table/Table Saw it would be the "first-ever." But that doesn't make it a good idea. I could easily be the first to market the "Shotgun-Rattle," too. Or the "Rooftop car seat." Am I digressing? I always do that!

The purpose of Bebe Gloton (Spanish for, roughly, "Gluttonous Baby",) is allegedly to promote breastfeeding. Reaching children early with the idea that breastfeeding is natural. However, of course it's natural!!! I don't think any mom (pre-teen or otherwise) is contesting the fact that breastfeeding is healthy and natural. I think it's the clogged ducts and the cracked nipples that put them off.

I'm all for breastfeeding. But, as a man, I'm quite certain no one cares what I think about it. My very courageous and unselfish wife breast fed our children for over a year apiece (including a set of twins.) I think it was great, and they grew strong and healthy, without costing us a nickel on baby formula.

To "play" with this toy, the young girl (or boy I suppose?) puts on a halter/bra type vestment and Bebe Gloton suckles on it around the nipple area. Weird. And I'm not sure that as elementary-school-aged children we need to be plugging anything too specific in terms of baby rearing.

Especially right before they hit puberty and we start beating it into their heads that it'd better be a loooooong time before they get pregnant. Let's find a way to market the notion of breastfeeding to people who are approaching that stage in their life. I'd like to think that there's a less creepy way to instill the notion of breastfeeding in the minds of children if that's something we need to do.

What's next? Bebe Sot - The doll who has a problem with a different kind of bottle, and loses his family, job and feelings of self worth? ? Bebe Limp - The male doll who experiences erectile dysfunction? Bebe Cell Mate - A weak unimposing doll that experiences all the indignation and humiliation of life in prison. Toy themes should be age appropriate. I think so anyway.

His apology

by Eric Ruhalter
Friday August 07, 2009, 6:51 PM
Bebe Gloton (Glutton Baby).

I feel the need to make a clarification on my post about "Baby Gloton," the breasfeeding doll that recently came out of Spain. This doll simulates nursing to promote it as the most healthy natural choice for feeding a baby.

I DO find it odd as a toy. Most notably because a girls' breasts fall under the heading of "private parts" in this culture. And I think that the notion of marketing a toy that pretends to latch onto them is a little weird on some level. I'm not completely alone in that notion. I stand by that feeling of discomfort. Whatever that makes me, I'm that.

Was it appropriate to equate a doll that breast feeds to a doll who's an alcoholic, suffering from erectile dysfunction, or raped in prison? Clearly not, as a number of people have managed to express in no uncertain terms. So, if it's worth anything, I retract that. And even apologize. While only meant in jest, that was offensive.

I write blog posts about parenting, not a parenting column. I don't pretend to offer "expert" advice. Most of the time, I try to be funny. Furthermore, much of what I write is written in a shoot-from-the-hip fashion. It's sort of like improv, only written. And sometimes not such a laff riot to large groups of passionate people.

So I'm going to be more responsible moving forward.

Ultimately, the reason I'm writing this post is that I wish I had not offended the breast feeding community. I respect them. I believe in what they stand for and what great moms they are for being committed to that special act of nurturing. I better understand now why they are supportive of this toy. As I've said, my wife was a dedicated breast feeder, and I truly believe it did a great deal to promote the physical and mental health of my beautiful children. Frankly I am in awe of these moms, and I apologize for offending them.

Private parts in this culture? That sounds like a prude to me. :huh:

Sounds like he's never had a little girl himself. As far as I'm aware it's always been normal for young girls to pretend you're breastfeeding a doll while playing, especially if you're the older sibling and you're growing up while mom's nursing your baby sister/brother.

It amuses me the guy says he's trying to be funny. He gets the humour across very very poorly!

Well, for what it's worth - I only ever recall bottle feeding my dolls. But that hasn't lead me to find breastfeeding unnatural or anything like that.
I just find this doll odd.
And if a little girl so desires to breastfeed her doll, she can just hold it to her chest? Is this fake nipple or whatever thing needed?
Imagination is there for a reason.

:twocents:

^Both of those quotes stood out to me too.

I knew a lot of girls growing up who pretended to breastfeed their dolls, and I don't think any of them grew up to be promiscuous.

Mine pretended to breastfeed with their dolls, merely to imitate. There's nothing wrong with a child and her imagination if it comes from a genuine source. I fail to see the controversy. People love to get all up in arms over things. If you (not you personally, Meggie) don't like it then be sure to never buy one and remember to discipline your child if she ever pretends. Yeah? No? Really, isn't it a 'so what?' matter? I despise Bratz dolls. Therefore I won't buy one. My daughters have pretended to breastfeed their baby borns. I apply my boundaries where I see fit. Companies will always do things I do and don't like. Personally, I'd not buy one of these because there's nothing wrong with the dolls they already have if they choose to play mums and dads and make a house with their toy kitchen and a sheet as a roof... oh wait, unless they become housewives.

Seriously, I can't see the harm nor the benefit in such things.

My little niece has dolls like that and she also pretends to breast feed. I think every girl does that and I think it's sick how some people attach a sexual label to it!

It's cool to see how the technical developments enable us to create a life like doll like that, with all the functions and movements of a real baby. I never liked 'doll babies', but I think I would have asked Sinterklaas to give me one like that when I would have been a kid!

Back
Top Bottom