Disturbing(be warned)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
good lord, all that because she got "lippy" with a cop? of course there is no audio to the tape, but given what was said in the news story, i can't see how cops being so brutal to a teenager calling someone a fat pig would be justified.

The corporatist fascist police state is on the march, unfortunately.

Having said that the US is probably more accountable for investigating this kind of stuff than much of Europe.

Indeed, I would say Europe is much closer to the corporatist fascist police state than the US, as evidenced by the Genoa incidents in 2001 for example.

Not all cops are bad...lets get that straight...

BUT THIS GUY IS A FUCKING ASSHOLE, I don't care how big of a brat that girl was, she didn't deserve that

That's really disturbing. :| Nobody should be treated like that in prison, unless they point a gun at you or something life threatening like that.

Nice way to show your power Cop guys, it's totally brave to treat a child like that.

I dont wanna view that but we all already know that hundreds of cops abuse their power.

fuking taser is prob abused a lot too. its not funny watching them taser people unnecessarily! and sure one time UK prog showed this dude reporting these dicks in a car to the cops one time, but the COPS turned on THIS guy reporting because he was a bit flustered and obviously was 'for some fuking reason' speaking to the cops in a fashion that had them abuse their power, again.

:down:

not all of them. but still. many cops on self-made pedestals. would be great if those pedestals were the equivalent of the game - whatever it is, you remove pieces then at some point it falls down.

from what Ive been reading, poor girl in video. :down:

good lord, all that because she got "lippy" with a cop? of course there is no audio to the tape, but given what was said in the news story, i can't see how cops being so brutal to a teenager calling someone a fat pig would be justified.

Seriously. He should have just slammed the door in her face and walked away. He probably is a fat pig...

He pleaded not guilty - how the fuck does he figure?

The girl was probably scared out of her mind when the officer charged her and started beating her like that. Jesus, and when he lifted her by the hair. This man should never be allowed to work in law enforcement again - and especially not with young people. I hope she has someone who cares about her and who will help get her through this horrible incident and whatever put her in police custody in the first place.

kicking her shoe at somebody

That's no reason to beat someone to a bloody pulp. I swear, these officers should never work in law enforcement again. It makes me weary thinking that they're on the streets, for 'our protection.' Hell, we need protection from them.

it seems everyone was all in favor of treating that 11 year old that shot his father's pregnant girlfriend as an adult.

if this was a grown man kicking a shoe,
he would have probably gotten about the same, these are not two kids on a playground.

Police are trained not to let a perp escalate a situation.
Cops who hesitate, often end up getting killed by there own guns.

it seems everyone was all in favor of treating that 11 year old that shot his father's pregnant girlfriend as an adult.

if this was a grown man kicking a shoe,
he would have probably gotten about the same, these are not two kids on a playground.

I don't care if it was a 15 girl or a 45 year male with a record, the action did not warrant the reaction. Yes police are trained not to let a perp escalate the situation, but she was already in the cell, a simple closing of the door would have stopped "the situation" from escalating...

first,
I am not saying everything the police did is correct.

second,
I am saying that a 100% condemnation of the Police is not warranted based upon this one video without audio.

second,
I am saying that a 100% condemnation of the Police is not warranted based upon this one video without audio.

I'm ususally the first to argue for context first, but I've had a hard time coming up with anything that the audio would tell us, or even prior context that would warrant this type of reaction...:shrug:

Does anyone know what she was in there for in the first place?

From what I've read she was stopped driving in her parents' car who before reported it stolen, and I guess she was drunk, but not sure. She was driving with a friend.

Even without sound it should be safe to say that this risk wasn't at hand.

Grand theft auto and driving while drunk,
are very serious

People get killed by drunk drivers every day.

and since she was acting erratically,
she needed to be handcuffed. she may have taken an article of clothing and hung herself.

Grand theft auto and driving while drunk,
are very serious

People get killed by drunk drivers every day.

and since she was acting erratically,
she needed to be handcuffed. she may have taken an article of clothing and hung herself.

She took her parents' car. If she was drunk at the time I'm really not sure. Just read the article again and it wasn't mentioned, so I probably misremembered that.

And I strongly doubt that the two punches and dragging her at the hair were warranted. She wasn't that kind of threat to him, honestly.
Are you arguing for arguing's sake? Or do you really see that girl in that very situation as being such a threat to the police officer that he has to shove her across the room and punch her in the neck twice while sitting on her?

have you ever been hand cuffed?

No. But I saw on a documentary how the police handcuff people who are hostile in cells. It looked a damn sight different to this video.

They do not, and should not throw someone head first into a wall, punch them repeatedly, and drag them by the hair.

You cant justify that. Not in this situation, and not in any situation. They wernt disabling her, they were INJURING her.

According to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer,
The Sheriff's Office policy manual says deputies should use physical or deadly force only when "necessary to effect an arrest, to defend themselves or others from violence, or to otherwise accomplish police duties according to law."
Pretty difficult to see how the conduct here met that standard. A teenaged female arrestee, standing with arms crossed already inside the cell and several feet away from the (clearly much taller and heavier) officers, kicking one shoe towards an officer standing outside while "getting lippy"--it strains credulity to think that their officer training would support interpreting that as "violence" justifying kicking, tackling, punching and hairpulling in "self-defense." The handcuffs might be justified, I wouldn't want to opine on that without for instance knowing how she behaved earlier in the arrest or what procedures the officers perhaps still needed to complete that might've entailed being in the cell with her. But as MooMoo said you don't need to go to these lengths to handcuff someone.
Are you arguing for arguing's sake?
I think probably.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom