Direct action

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This does not happen in the U S.
Disgruntled employees usually get a gun and kill about 10 people before they kill themselves.

Disgruntled employees usually get a gun and kill about 10 people before they kill themselves.

Indeed, the boss class is much more powerful in the US, as one would expect in any hypercapitalist society. Of course, France never had a Thatcher or a Reagan.

He said talks between unions and management were due to resume in the presence of a French government official yesterday.
:scratch: I take it the French government doesn't bat an eye at these 'boss-nappings' then?

...and is it wrong that this gave me my first laugh of the day?

This seems like much ado, about nothing
just a common tactic used to get a better financial settlement. :shrug:

French 3M workers free manager held hostage
Reuters

March 26, 2009

Pithiviers, France — Workers at a factory operated by the U.S. firm 3M today released the French manager they had held hostage for more than 24 hours until a deal on conditions for laid-off staffers was reached.

The industrial director of the group, Luc Rousselet, was barricaded in an office Tuesday evening and workers had refused to let him out until he agreed to more favorable terms for the 110 employees who face the ax.

"A framework of an agreement allowing for the end of the current crisis on the 3M site in Pithiviers was signed today," a union representative said.

Rousselet left his office early this morning to boos from about 20 workers.

Locking up managers is a tradition in French labor disputes, with police unwilling to intervene to avoid violence.

This month, employees at a Sony factory in southwest France detained the chief executive and human resources director of the Japanese group's French arm and eventually secured better terms for workers facing dismissal.

Unions at the 3M plant in Pithiviers, near Orleans, south of Paris, were demanding more money for departing staffers, guarantees for those remaining and payment of salaries for those who went on strike over the redundancy plan.

"The managers of 3M have committed to take into account all the social consequence of the restructuring project," the union representative said.

Diversified technology group 3M makes products including cellophane tape and optical films for liquid crystal displays. France is its sixth-largest market; it employs 2,800 staffers at eight sites, according to the group's website.

"I am among the 110 people laid off, and I know that I will not find another job in Pithiviers," said Edwige Ferrage, who had worked at the company for 38 years.

On leaving his office, Rousselet said he was satisfied that negotiations had restarted.

Back
Top Bottom