Did you watch O'Rieley last night - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:03 AM
Just put this in the first O'Reilly thread I could find. What the hell? Apparently he says his comments were taken out of context, I don't know what context they would be appropriate in..

http://mediamatters.org/items/200709210007

Old 09-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:03 AM
Well, this proves O'Rielly is not a bigot.

He went to a restaurant ran by blacks, in a black part of town, ate a meal with Sharpton that was prepared by black people.

These are the facts.

Old 09-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

And they were such well behaved black people too

I wonder if all those other quotes they give as examples are just an "out of context hatchet job" by Media Matters too
Old 09-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Well, this proves O'Rielly is not a bigot.

He went to a restaurant ran by blacks, in a black part of town, ate a meal with Sharpton that was prepared by black people.

These are the facts.
And they had a varied menu. It wasn't just fried chicken.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #50
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:03 AM
O'Reilly is an idiot, a bigoted one at that, there really is no way to defend this guy.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

this is a perfect example of the kind of racism that drives blacks absolutely nuts (so i'm told )

i can relate -- it's not "eat shit faggot" that bothers me, it's the, "are you and your boyfriend, like, gay in front of other people" stuff that's actually totally innocent, and totally offensive.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:29 AM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
this is a perfect example of the kind of racism that drives blacks absolutely nuts (so i'm told )

and totally offensive.
Here's the real bigot . He seems reeeealy closed minded, not able to grasp the whole black struggle, black art and self expression:

WILLIAMS: Well, let me just tell you, the one thing I would say is this. And we're talking about the kids who still like this gangsta rap, this vile poison that I think is absolutely, you know, literally a corruption of culture. I think that what you've got to take into account that it's still a majority white audience -- young, white people who think they're into rebelling against their parents who buy this stuff and think it's just a kick. You know, it's just a way of expressing their anti-authoritarianism

dbs
Old 09-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Here's the real bigot . He seems reeeealy closed minded, not able to grasp the whole black struggle, black art and self expression:
How does that make O'Reilly not a bigot?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:30 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

How does that make O'Reilly not a bigot?
Come on, philly, it's common knowledge that if you've got a black friend you can't possibly be a racist!
Old 09-26-2007, 06:32 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

All O'Reilly did was reveal the depth of his own stereotypes about black people.

My jaw was on the floor reading that (though I had to admitt I wasn't surprised).
Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 AM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

WILLIAMS: Well, let me just tell you, the one thing I would say is this. And we're talking about the kids who still like this gangsta rap, this vile poison that I think is absolutely, you know, literally a corruption of culture. I think that what you've got to take into account that it's still a majority white audience -- young, white people who think they're into rebelling against their parents who buy this stuff and think it's just a kick. You know, it's just a way of expressing their anti-authoritarianism

dbs
What's your point? I'm kind of inclined to agree with at least that portion of William's comments (and I'm black).

But I find it a bit sad that he allowed O'Reilly's amazement at the civility of black people to go unaddressed. I'm sure he was just trying to be a good radio guest :coughcoughuncletomcoughcough:

And you should know that gangsta rap is hardly the sum of black struggle, black art and self-expression. There many African Americans who do not approve of gangsta rap including folks like say. . .Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

http://mediamatters.org/items/200709250014?f=h_top

"We got a statement from Fox News, and here's what it says: 'This is nothing more than left-wing outlets stirring up false racism accusations for ratings. It's sad."

SANCHEZ: -- and this is what we talked about last night when I had Roland Martin on. What's wrong with a white guy doing social commentary on somebody else's race? And on the one hand, he's brave enough to do it; on the other hand, he's trying to be real honest about it.

LEMON: And he's trying to -- it's meant to be a compliment --

SANCHEZ: It's meant to be a compliment --

LEMON: -- but it's not a compliment.

SANCHEZ: But it doesn't --

LEMON: Not -- no.

SANCHEZ: As a matter of fact, every African-American that I've talked to since this -- and my God, have I gotten a bevy of phone calls on this, inside and outside the business -- people are actually offended. They think -- they call this -- and you would know -- they call this a subtle type of racism. It's not the "hit you over the head with a hammer" type; it's the "velvet glove" type.

LEMON: Yeah.

SANCHEZ: And that's what I tried to talk to Bill about. He called back yesterday and we got on the phone, and he didn't want any part of it. He said, "Hey, Rick, look" -- I mean, he was screaming the entire conversation.

LEMON: Really?

SANCHEZ: Yeah. He was not happy with me. I said, "Hey, I'm a huge fan, Bill, and I've been watching you for years, and by the way, just finished reading a book about you." He just wanted to let me know, he said, "Look" -- to be fair now, this is what he says. He said, "This is totally -- it was a totally benign conversation. There was absolutely no racist intent." And I agree with him, by the way, I don't think there was.

LEMON: Yeah.

SANCHEZ: And he goes on to say that, "Look, we didn't get any complaints at my radio stations." But, you know, obviously, you know, that may have to do with his audience as well.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 AM   #58
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Quote:

dbs
Do you have a point?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

I guess his point is that Juan Williams is the real bigot and O'Reilly is just the victim of the left wing outlets.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

What's your point? . .Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.
context, making a point, showing the irony of it all.

al sharpton and jesse jackson do not condemn gansta rap ( in fact they're more sympathic) unlike juan williams- who calls out the corruption of gansta rap.

if most african american leaders along with other leaders would condemn this form of so called art, it would be a step in the right direction.

dbs