Did you watch O'Rieley last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there is some truth to the idea that it's very hard for a white person to have a serious discusion about race relations without coming off sounding like a racist.

i obviously don't know bill o'reilly, but i do live and work in the general area of where he grew up... and there are a lot of white males his age who speak like that, still today. is it true racism or is it just plain ignorance from an upbringing where anything not like you was different. i don't know the answer to that question... it's probably a little bit of both. the racism exists because of the ignorance. i don't think o'reilly was trying to be bigoted... i actually think, from listening to the clip, that he had good intent, he just doesn't get it.

one of my best friends, who i grew up with my entire life, is a city cop here in new york. part of his precient includes long island city, which borders the queensbridge projects. i remember a conversation we had one night about the job, around the time of the michael bell case. he was comenting on how there are some guys on the force who, like bill o'reilly, grew up in their little isolate white bread levit communities who were never exposed in their entire life to anyone from a different culture. so while they say the right things and all, when it comes down to it these people get very uncomfortable when they end up in communities that are largely black. they freeze up... they're scared of what they do not know. is it racism? or is it a racist feeling based on ignorance? :shrug:

diamond said:

context, making a point, showing the irony of it all.

al sharpton and jesse jackson do not condemn gansta rap ( in fact they're more sympathic) unlike juan williams- who calls out the corruption of gansta rap.

if most african american leaders along with other leaders would condemn this form of so called art, it would be a step in the right direction.

dbs

you're showing a ton of ignorance on your entire take on "gangsta" rap.

there's a huge difference... there's the bitches and hos rap, which is a joke but in reality is no different than, say, the hair metal of the 80s. hot for teacher? girls, girls, girls? yea...

but a lot of what you consider to be "gangsta" rap is no different than the music of bob dylan or u2.

sunday bloody sunday is a very violent song, filled with death. why? it's what bono knew as a kid growing up in ireland.

so why is that okay, yet songs by NWA or Public Enemy, which is nothing more than people writing about what they know, any different?

it's not.

I think it could be difficult for a white person to understand the black perspective, especially if they grew up in towns where there weren't too many blacks. But, with education anything is possible.
O'Reilly just comes off as a thinner Rush Limbaugh who wants to increase his ratings and sell more books. Granted, O'Reilly is less of an asshole than that fuckin' soulless shitfuck, Limbaugh.

diamond said:

context, making a point, showing the irony of it all.

al sharpton and jesse jackson do not condemn gansta rap ( in fact they're more sympathic) unlike juan williams- who calls out the corruption of gansta rap.

if most african american leaders along with other leaders would condemn this form of so called art, it would be a step in the right direction.

dbs

Your facts are wrong and this has nothing to do with the subject at hand. Buy a clue.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
there is some truth to the idea that it's very hard for a white person to have a serious discusion about race relations without coming off sounding like a racist.

i obviously don't know bill o'reilly, but i do live and work in the general area of where he grew up... and there are a lot of white males his age who speak like that, still today. is it true racism or is it just plain ignorance from an upbringing where anything not like you was different. i don't know the answer to that question... it's probably a little bit of both. the racism exists because of the ignorance. i don't think o'reilly was trying to be bigoted... i actually think, from listening to the clip, that he had good intent, he just doesn't get it.

one of my best friends, who i grew up with my entire life, is a city cop here in new york. part of his precient includes long island city, which borders the queensbridge projects. i remember a conversation we had one night about the job, around the time of the michael bell case. he was comenting on how there are some guys on the force who, like bill o'reilly, grew up in their little isolate white bread levit communities who were never exposed in their entire life to anyone from a different culture. so while they say the right things and all, when it comes down to it these people get very uncomfortable when they end up in communities that are largely black. they freeze up... they're scared of what they do not know. is it racism? or is it a racist feeling based on ignorance? :shrug:

But the problem is, Bill pictures himself an intellectual and has been in a business that has offered him different oppurtunities. He hasn't taken those oppurtunities to get the facts, he's done quite the opposite and has spoken with bigoted undertones most of his career. He chose not to grow up beyond his neighborhood and it's prejudices.

MrPryck2U said:
I think it could be difficult for a white person to understand the black perspective, especially if they grew up in towns where there weren't too many blacks. But, with education anything is possible.

Yes. I grew up all my life in a whiter than white suburb and still live in one. Yet I know that African American people think for themselves and that their culture is wide and expansive and elegant and everything else that white culture is.

O'Reilly has a consistent pattern of these types of comments and even more overtly racist comments-instead of lashing out at others he should examine his own attitudes and behaviors honestly.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But the problem is, Bill pictures himself an intellectual and has been in a business that has offered him different oppurtunities. He hasn't taken those oppurtunities to get the facts, he's done quite the opposite and has spoken with bigoted undertones most of his career. He chose not to grow up beyond his neighborhood and it's prejudices.

i'm not trying to defend o'reilly... i think he's a douche.

too often in this country we label someone as something, but we never take the time to come up with an explanation for the behavior, thus then leading to a possible solution for the future.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i'm not trying to defend o'reilly... i think he's a douche.

too often in this country we label someone as something, but we never take the time to come up with an explanation for the behavior, thus then leading to a possible solution for the future.

I understand where you are coming from, this goes back to the conversation maycocksean and I were having in the West Virginia Torture Horror thread, of where does racism come from. I think it is important to take a look at where someone comes from and what they've been exposed to, but "not knowing" is no longer an excuse for someone like O'reilly, that was my point. At this point in Bill's life he's already made a conscious effort to ignore the facts in front of him.

diamond said:

except that they do?

i don't get it. i'm so confused here.

so many do already. but the white kids keep buying it. there's money to be made. what would supply-side Jesus say?

Irvine511 said:

except that they do?

i don't get it. i'm so confused here.

so many do already. but the white kids keep buying it. there's money to be made. what would supply-side Jesus say?

my post about juan williams was said in jest.
what juan williams does is a good thing.

I think Christ is saddened by the misuse of our talents (all musical artists who sing songs that denegrate women and promote violence) and our resources (our money that is spent feeding that machine).

Clear enough?
:hug:

dbs

diamond said:

my post about juan williams was said in jest.
what juan williams does is a good thing.

I think Christ is saddened by the misuse of our talents (all musical artists who sing songs that denegrate women and promote violence) and our resources (our money that is spent feeding that machine).

Clear enough?
:hug:

dbs

I think christ is even more saddened by our going to war and our inability/unwillingness to help the poor, downtridden and sick unless there is oil in their land to be extracted

MrsSpringsteen said:
Yes we really shouldn't denigrate women by using certain terms to describe them, should we?

Correct, especially objectifying them thru song, deeds, or actions- like Hilary's husband has done, who she has protected for polictical ambition , thereby enabling those who denegrate women to continue to do so.

But you'll ignore this fact, indirectly perpetuating the cycle to continue, and continue to post clips and articles supporting your causes, occassionally surprising some of us here and there w/a decently written and objective piece, but for the most part it's recycled tabloid fodder.

good job, bravo-

dbs

diamond said:
Nice avatar:D

I thought you would like it. You made me realize something by getting moderators to ask me to change it...

I figured Johnny Cash was a man that deserves freedom of speech and I wouldn't censor him, but if anyone HAD to be consored then George was probably the one to deserve it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I thought you would like it. You made me realize something by getting moderators to ask me to change it...

I figured Johnny Cash was a man that deserves freedom of speech and I wouldn't censor him, but if anyone HAD to be consored then George was probably the one to deserve it.

I would have the same sentiment if you had a avatar of Bono giving a B/A.

Bono's an artist, the primary reason most of us are here, he has a right to free speech, he's even given people B/As in his life but that doesn't give one licence to post Bono's offensive gestures here -as you thought you had the privilege to do with Johnny Cash's forms of expression/art.

Thanks for taking it down.

dbs

Last edited:
Is this finger is o k?

bush_nosepick.jpg

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The mods asked you to change your avatar because of him?

That's disappointing.

You know, diamond, I'm trying to remember an objective piece you've brought to the table. I know you must have done so. But Johnny Cash me if I can remember one.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well then once again Diamond you give another horrible analogy. A bare ass does not = a finger.

both would be viewed as offensive, and some from your crowd would attempt to argue both as 'freedom of speech', but neither wouldn't stand as avatars-not in this fourm, according to the rules.

dbs

Back
Top Bottom