Did She Ask For It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no, she isn't. another local female reporter is the one who brought it to the attention of the media, the jets and the NFL.

first off, i don't think any reporters should be allowed in the locker room. period. nfl, nba, wnba, mlb, nhl, male, female, gay, straight and everything in between. it should be a private sanctum for the team and nothing more. i do not care about the "competitiveness" of the business. reporters can wait. would you feel comfortable having the person who reviewed your job performance do it while you were in the bathroom? while you were getting changed? some things should be off limits, the locker room is one of them. there are more than enough facilities in professional stadiums and arenas for interviews to take place. at the very least, no reporter should be allowed in until everyone is dressed.

secondly, let's stop calling her a journalist. she's not. she goes to super bowl media day and gets carried around by linemen and takes a tape measure to see how big matt leinart's biceps are...

340x_custom_1284398813300_inesmattleinart.jpg

... she's as much a journalist as david letterman's producer biff is when they send him to do the same things. there are any number of excellent female sports journalists out there, but jackie macmullan this woman is not.

all that said, does she deserve to be treated the way she was when she went into the locker room? absolutely not, and the jets coaching staff should be fined for allowing the type of frat house behavior that their blowhard douche of a head coach encourages.

I have nothing to add other than I agree with your post, Headache.

if she wants to be taken seriously she should not dress that way period. the network she works for is Aztec (mexico and she is there because Mark Sanchez is the QB, of mexican hertiage) which is kind of like a TMZ network...sexual stuff is a big seller for them. She makes women who are in sports broadcasting look bad by not dressing professionally. She once dressed up in a wedding dress for the super bowl press conference and asked Tom Brady to marry her. :doh: The cat calls are unacceptable and the Jets players should be talked to about it.

The football players should be responsible for their behavior. (period)

These guys are getting in trouble all the time for behavior problems.

Playing pro ball is a privilege.

She is dressed no different then how many fans dress.

she is not a fan. in this profession, their is a level of expecation of dress code for reporters and on-air personalities. that being said, the jets players should focus on the practice and ignore reporters.

I don't think she should have been in the Men's Locker room, where they are showering and changing their clothes. Would a male reporter be allowed in the Women's Locker room? I doubt it.

D.C. Sports Bog - A few words on women in NFL locker rooms

a pretty good article about women in locker rooms

from someone that appears to know what he is talking about

Gotta love the comments that accompany this article.

"There's what you do behind closed doors, in an environment of friends who all agreed to a level of exposure (or optional complete nudity) ahead of time. Then there's in front of a public television camera, and into a room full of testosterone-laden athletes who you have barely talked to before, let alone been practically undressed in front of. Jeepers, what the heck are these guys supposed to do, put on blindfolds and stuff duct tape into their mouths?"

Poor guys, what were they expected to do? :sad:

"Boys will be boys...

They are playing a boys game, they act like boys, no one was hurt."

Urge to kill.... RISING..........

:|

There is something so fundamentally wrong with our society when the overwhelming amount of focus is on the reporter rather than the type of behaviour displayed by these men, which should be abhorred in any and all circumstances.

Basically to me innapropriate clothing is wearing a bikini or g string while reporting at the football. Wow her jeans were TIGHT? So like you could sorta see the outline of her bum? And omg omg omg a bit of cleavage you know a bit of both BOOBS I MEAN HOW CAN YOU STAND IT??

For fucks sake, this is stupid. 1. I don't think what the players did was sexual harrasment anyway, an admiration nod in he rdirection and a comment is not over the to, secondly who said she is dressing for them? Maybe she likes wearing that clothing, she feels confident and sexy and who are we to tell her what she can and can't wear? Professional is subjective, to some its a loose blouse and slacks to tohers it might be a tigt pencil skirt and a fitted top, suddenly shes a bit slutty and thherefore not professional.

And whoever talked about testosterone... GET OUT! OMG these men are so full of testosterone that a slight bit of boobie and they're going to go postal and start raping everything in sight i mean think of THE MEN!!!

This goes back to the whole if a woman is dressed in sexually revealing clothes (in someones opinion, as i dont think other then being naked is really sexually revealing) that she is maybe a tiny bit responsible, or maybe should have realised that she would be sexually harrassed/abused/raped/fondled etc because her clothing was too revealing and she was acting a bit slutty.

I just don't buy it. Sure i think todays fashion is horrendous, im glad i grew up in the time where baggy t-shirts and jeans were all the rage, i of course don't think young children or teenagers should wear these types of clothes, but for adults i think we all need to cool it a bit with this stupid idea. I feel sorry for the reporter, she didn't even really care about it and now its all been blown up and she's the one being blamed!

It's quite clear to anyone who has worked in the industry what professional wear is what what professional wear is not. Her employers can dictate what she can wear on camera, 100%, just as they can dictate what colour ties men wear or if they're clean shaven or if they have a beard or if they have jewelry showing. She wasn't in professional gear - if she was some of what happened could have been avoided, because a suit like Mel McLaughlin (one of the hottest women in Australia) wears on camera for Fox Sports Australia gives her an air of business, professionalism and respect. She would look trashy in anything else in a sporting environment. A tank top and skinny jeans down on the sidelines at the football? Fuck no.

Not all of the blame goes to her - at the end of the day the players are responsible for their own actions - but she is responsible for the way she is perceived. This is such a non-issue, both sides are at fault... no, you do not do what the players did, but you also do not dress like that in sports... it's just not done... I wish the feminists would recognise that and not label all men rapists at the drop of a hat.

If the male reporters are in the locker room to get their stories then the female ones need equal access. Same for male reporters in a female locker room. Athletes can cover up :shrug: I don't see why they can't have interview time after they change and shower and all that-maybe that's how they do it sometimes already, I don't know. If you change and shower you can put on a robe if you don't want to dress.

No matter how she dresses or what kind of reporter she is or isn't, they are grown men and there's no excuse for that kind of behavior. Some athletes have been so coddled and bubbled that they are still in boy stage I guess. I'm well aware of how some men talk and behave privately, but that was in front of many others and in front of her while she was working. Jets and the NFL should not tolerate that period-and if it's true that Rex Ryan was involved in it at all then shame on him. And Mark Sanchez too. Doesn't matter if she wasn't bothered by it either, and it's under the harassment umbrella that includes others.

If you follow the logic that she was inviting that by how she dressed, then a sister or a gf or a wife of any of those players should be treated in such a way if they dress that way. Somehow I don't think the players would agree with that. Just like we shouldn't question how a rape victim is dressed and if that was "inviting" a rape.

Men who think that is just typical and acceptable behavior for males, I don't think you have a very high opinion of your own gender.

she is a wife

and what is so fuking hilarious about the whole thing is, that these guys see it as absolutely OKAY to be such w*****s

but hey, if one of their wives was in there, my gawd, he would be up punching the others in a 'dont you dare talk about my wife like that!'

see?

cant fukin win, can ya.

these guys are in the wrong here, not her.

I see girls in outfits like that in hot season. and whether a couple of guys or a small group are secretly or publicly being rude or whatever about her, its the guys who are letting themselves down, really and truly.

perhaps, yes, to have waited til all were dressed, before reporting, or to have had it held outside male-territory lockerroom would have been better but still, even if there are reserved decent men among them, that all can fall aside, and they might join in with the remarks to ensure they look masculine/part of it.

sportsmen can think they are the shit anyhow, ya know, untouchable, because they are important and needed.

Oh and isnt there a scene like this in the movie Any Given Sunday? Diaz and Pacino in the locker room and the guys are naked and stuff?

:slant:

It has not taken long for NFL players to express their opinions on the alleged harassment of female TV reporter Ines Sainz in the New York Jets locker room on Saturday.

Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Darnell Dockett went on a long rant about the situation via twitter, saying all he can do is laugh at her.

"All I can do is LOL at the jets Female Reporter! She walks into a locker room full of men and think some one not gonna say nothing LMFAO," he said. "I don't know what was said to her or whatever but u just have to know u going into a TEAM LOCKEROOM, and if its that serious WOMEN STAY OUT!" He even tweeted a picture of the reporter, writing, "Now why would u wear this!!! IM DONE!!"

Shortly after Sainz explained the details of the incident on Tuesday morning, Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis weighed in on the matter with controversial comments for which he later apologized.

Not long after addressing the Sainz controversy, Dockett followed up with additional tweets that could be seen as partially walking back his earlier commentary. He wrote, "I respect women and ill never disrespet women, so I'm just speaking my opinon, and again its my opinon, yall have a Wonderful day PEACE!!" He later added, "I think all men should respect women at all times no matter what And women should be able to work where ever they want! That's my opinon!"

For anyone following the NFL since Commandant Goodell took over in 2006, it should come as no surprise that Clinton Portis issued an apology to Ines Sainz faster than one of her 37,000 Twitter followers could translate her latest tweets.

The Redskins running back, who spoke out about the Sainz-Jets locker room mishap over the weekend, gained serious headlines with his views.

"I think you put women reporters in the locker room in position to see guys walking around naked, and you sit in the locker room with 53 guys, and all of the sudden you see a nice woman in the locker room. I think men are going to tend to turn and look and want to say something to that woman," Portis said in his weekly appearance on 106.7 The Fan.

"You know, somebody got to spark her interest, or she’s going to want somebody. I don’t know what kind of woman won’t, if you get to go and look at 53 men’s [bodies]," Portis added. "I know you’re doing a job, but at the same time, the same way I’m going to cut my eye if I see somebody worth talking to, I’m sure they do the same thing."

But like any athlete looking to speak his mind in the No Fun League, Portis turtled just days later and Portis, tail between his legs, issued a statement. Just like that, a sultry Mexican model made 220-pound professional athlete crumble in the public eye.

"I was wrong to make the comments I did, and I apologize," the statement said. "I respect the job that all reporters do. It is a tough job and we all have to work and act in a professional manner. I understand and support the team on these issues."

Not all of the blame goes to her - at the end of the day the players are responsible for their own actions - but she is responsible for the way she is perceived. This is such a non-issue, both sides are at fault... no, you do not do what the players did, but you also do not dress like that in sports... it's just not done...

Her job is cheerleader sports journalist for a gossip/entertainment news show. Her outfits and sexy approach are entirely appropriate for her job.

The coaches and players were out of line. Period.

I do have an issue with her though, and it isn't her job or how she dresses for it. It was the bullshit claim about being uncomfortable with the attention she was getting - to get more attention. Based on her years in the industry and cheerleader approach, I categorically don't believe that she was offended or embarrassed by events in that locker room.

If there is anything that infuriates me as much as the crudeness of a dumb jock, it's the false modesty of the self-titled "hottest sports reporter in Mexico" to get herself onto the morning show circuit.

It reminds me of Sarah Palin's bait-and-switch media manipulation.

And take it down the line and it makes me think of women who have consensual sex then claim rape. It's an egregious insult to real victims.

And to answer Pearl's question in the OP, it's a contributor to the view that female sexuality is dangerous and therefore it shouldn't be expressed.

no one should be allowed in lockerrooms period. it is an outdated practice. many players speak after the game on the field and at presser after the game. lets not forget about twitter, youtube, blah blah blah. we have more access to them than ever, without the locker room.

no one should be allowed in lockerrooms period. it is an outdated practice. many players speak after the game on the field and at presser after the game. lets not forget about twitter, youtube, blah blah blah.

absolutely.

reporters going into the locker rooms is a hold over from the days when newspaper reporters had to get their story done by a certain time in order to meet a deadline.

nobody reads newspapers anymore. get the reporters out of the locker room.

According to this she is NOT the Tom Brady wedding dress reporter. Heidi Watney is the "sideline" reporter for the tv station that covers Boston Red Sox games. I've seen her in person at games on the field wearing a very short dress with very high heels and all the guys are looking and talking-and sometimes saying crude things (I'm speaking of fans only, obviously I don't know what any players are saying) she's very pretty. So is she "setting herself up" for things too? It reminds me of the whole Christine Brennan/Erin Andrews thing-add Elisabeth Hasselbeck in there too. But Christine is a sports writer and reporter. Dress vs behavior-as far as I know in the Jets situation Inez's behavior is not in question so why does any of her past behavior have to be called into question in evaluating the specific Jets situation? And "schtick"/behavior invites or sets yourself up for harassment? Is that true for male reporter schtick and behavior too?

As far as I know Heidi's romantic link to a player is just rumor.

boston.com

Heidi Watney might want to think before speaking next time. Talking yesterday about the controversy involving the New York Jets and a female journalist who claims she was made to feel “uncomfortable’’ in the team’s locker room, the Sox sideline reporter basically blamed the woman. Appearing on WZLX’s “Karlson & McKenzie’’ show, Watney said she knows next to nothing about the story, but still suggested Ines Sainz was harassed because “she does outlandish things, that’s part of her shtick. . . . Not that you have it coming, but in this world you set yourself up for things.’’ Watney went on to say: “I know that she’s the reporter who showed up at the Super Bowl with the wedding dress on for Tom Brady.’’ In fact, she’s not that reporter. Another TV Azteca correspondent, Ines Gomez Mont, wore a wedding dress to media day at the Super Bowl. Watney, who’s been romantically linked to at least one ballplayer in the past, said, “You yourself are held to a standard of behavior, so you can’t blame other people around you.’’

no one should be allowed in lockerrooms period. it is an outdated practice. many players speak after the game on the field and at presser after the game. lets not forget about twitter, youtube, blah blah blah. we have more access to them than ever, without the locker room.

I agree with that-it does seem outdated

Yes I would think that male reporters don't like it either

According to this she is NOT the Tom Brady wedding dress reporter. Heidi Watney is the "sideline" reporter for the tv station that covers Boston Red Sox games. I've seen her in person at games on the field wearing a very short dress with very high heels and all the guys are looking and talking- she's very pretty. So is she "setting herself up" for things too? It reminds me of the whole Christine Brennan/Erin Andrews thing-add Elisabeth Hasselbeck in there too. But Christine is a sports writer and reporter. Dress vs behavior-as far as I know in the Jets situation Inez's behavior is not in question so why does any of her past behavior have to be called into question in evaluating the specific Jets situation?

boston.com

Heidi Watney might want to think before speaking next time. Talking yesterday about the controversy involving the New York Jets and a female journalist who claims she was made to feel “uncomfortable’’ in the team’s locker room, the Sox sideline reporter basically blamed the woman. Appearing on WZLX’s “Karlson & McKenzie’’ show, Watney said she knows next to nothing about the story, but still suggested Ines Sainz was harassed because “she does outlandish things, that’s part of her shtick. . . . Not that you have it coming, but in this world you set yourself up for things.’’ Watney went on to say: “I know that she’s the reporter who showed up at the Super Bowl with the wedding dress on for Tom Brady.’’ In fact, she’s not that reporter. Another TV Azteca correspondent, Ines Gomez Mont, wore a wedding dress to media day at the Super Bowl. Watney, who’s been romantically linked to at least one ballplayer in the past, said, “You yourself are held to a standard of behavior, so you can’t blame other people around you.’’

the main difference between the ladies you mentioned (am i splitting hairs maybe, and this does not excuse the behavior) but the lockerroom/practice presence is really for news gathering (you should look professional) the other women are usually sideline/television entertainment so they might have to look prettier because they are expected to be on television.

the main difference between the ladies you mentioned (am i splitting hairs maybe, and this does not excuse the behavior) but the lockerroom/practice presence is really for news gathering (you should look professional) the other women are usually sideline/television entertainment so they might have to look prettier because they are expected to be on television.

I see the distinction you're making but Heidi also goes into the locker room and interviews players and she interviews the manager in his office and in the press conference room before and after games. So seemingly she's there for both purposes. Don't know if she changes clothes because she's just shown in a close shot. On tv you can't see how short that particular dress is, the one I saw in person, or her shoes. If you're at the game you can. Obviously the players can always see.

Don't know about Christine Brennan-I was only talking about what she said about Erin Andrews and DWTS and Erin's stalking situation. I completely disagreed with what she said :down:

According to this she is NOT the Tom Brady wedding dress reporter. Heidi Watney is the "sideline" reporter for the tv station that covers Boston Red Sox games. I've seen her in person at games on the field wearing a very short dress with very high heels and all the guys are looking and talking-and sometimes saying crude things (I'm speaking of fans only, obviously I don't know what any players are saying) she's very pretty. So is she "setting herself up" for things too? It reminds me of the whole Christine Brennan/Erin Andrews thing-add Elisabeth Hasselbeck in there too. But Christine is a sports writer and reporter. Dress vs behavior-as far as I know in the Jets situation Inez's behavior is not in question so why does any of her past behavior have to be called into question in evaluating the specific Jets situation? And "schtick"/behavior invites or sets yourself up for harassment? Is that true for male reporter schtick and behavior too?

boston.com

again, whether she's a journalist or a circus clown, it does not excuse the jets behavior one single bit.

that said, she is not a sports journalist. she's not the one who goes around in wedding dresses asking tom brady to marry her. she's the one who goes around with a tape measure asking if she can measure guy's biceps.

500x_sainzleinart.jpg

her entire schtick is to be the sexy, flirty "reporter." calling her a journalist is an insult to the great female sports journalists out there. if she's a journalist, baba booey is edward r. murrow.

I agree that that sexy female reporter schtick is not sports journalism. What constitutes that these days is debatable-male and female. It's the infotainment issue, that's a whole other issue. I like enjoy sports because I enjoy the actual sport-doesn't mean I don't notice and appreciate good looking athletes because I certainly do. That includes female athletes. I'd be a liar if I said otherwise, but that's not why I'm watching and I do know a decent amount about sports and I've been a sports fan since an early age. But that is not the same as harassment on the job, and I can and do appreciate their looks in a polite and appropriate way.

As long as sexy female reporter schtick exists she is still there to do her job, because that is her job that she's being paid for. Whether that should exist or not is up to the industry and the employers. Like most here are saying, that doesn't excuse the Jets behavior at all.

All being said there are so many male athletes who are great guys and gentlemen who would never have done what the Jets are alleged to have done. I haven't read about any of their comments or tweets or whatever speaking out about this-not that they have to but it would be nice.

Kind of a shame that they even have to issue such a memo

(CNN) -- The National Football League has sent a memo to all 32 of its teams, reminding players and league employees that female reporters should be treated professionally and with respect.

The note comes on the heels of news that the New York Jets team is investigating allegations of harassment by team members toward television sports reporter Ines Sainz.

The memo cites the NFL's Media Relations Playbook, which states that "by law, women must be granted the same rights to perform their jobs as men. Please remember that women reporters are professionals and should be treated as such."

Among other things, the playbook stresses that "it is important to you and this organization that you present yourself to the media in a manner and style in which you yourself would like to be received and treated."

The memo also notes that "barring individual members of the regularly accredited media ... for what is perceived as 'unfair coverage' or any similar reason is not permitted."

Back
Top Bottom