Did She Ask For It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I don't understand why they actually are done in the locker room. Is there a good reason?

There's a different atmosphere in the locker room right after a game than there would be at a press conference a half hour later. I'm sure they get more honest answers from players who are fresh off the field and full of emotion

There's a different atmosphere in the locker room right after a game than there would be at a press conference. I'm sure they get more honest answers from players who are fresh off the field and full of emotion

They seem to catch that in the NHL in the hallway between the ice and locker room most of the time, yes?

Meh, if you've got to compete with 30 other reporters for the story on the sidelines or in the locker room, it's probably not a bad idea to, um, stand out. :sexywink:

Meh, if you've got to compete with 30 other reporters for the story on the sidelines or in the locker room, it's probably not a bad idea to, um, stand out. :sexywink:

But then it's inappropriate if the players acknowledge the reason for her standing out?

How would you distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate acknowledgement?

Regardless, if she's crying foul over a few lewd comments and some nudity, it seems disingenuous.

But the thing is, is she even calling foul? In that most recently posted article she seems to be laughing it off, or am I misreading?

How would you distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate acknowledgement?

Regardless, if she's crying foul over a few lewd comments and some nudity, it seems disingenuous.

Well, that seems to be what I'm getting out of it :shrug:
Seems like a bit of a non issue

It's funny you mention that. I heard a woman DJ on the radio a few weeks ago saying that it would be inappropriate for a male to tell a female coworker "that's a really nice dress you're wearing". I think crap like that has gotten way out of hand. Her reasoning was "well, you wouldnt tell a male coworker that he looks good". I make a point of telling my male coworkers/friends that they look cool if they're dressed well

I think crap like that has gotten way out of hand.

I tend to agree but because it can be such a touchy subject, intent can be easily misinterpreted. So unless you're really sure that the receiver trusts that your well-meaning compliments are not innuendo, it's probably better not to go there in the workplace.

I do not agree in any way, shape, or form that Ms. Sainz is responsible for players in the locker room cat calling or making inappropriate comments towards her. They are completely responsible for their reactions - which were in poor taste, to say the least.

That being said, if a very attractive woman - which there's little denying that she is - wearing skin-tight jeans and a low-cut blouse encounters a group of men, are those men out of line for providing the type of attention she's obviously trying to garner?

I mean, really - she'd be a knockout in a burlap sack. So why not wear something a bit more business appropriate while working? Going to a football game & reporting on a football game should not share a dress code. :no:

And I support the no reporters in the locker room ban. Geez - give the team 15 - 20 minutes to clean up & decompress. Nobody's going to lose their shit if there's not video of the quarterback's thoughts on the game within 30 seconds of the game clock expiring. :doh:

I do not agree in any way, shape, or form that Ms. Sainz is responsible for players in the locker room cat calling or making inappropriate comments towards her. They are completely responsible for their reactions - which were in poor taste, to say the least.

In poor taste? Sure, probably. Sexual harassment worthy of repercussions? I dont think so

I gotta say though, I found your first and second paragraph to be a little contradictory. Maybe I'm just reading them wrong

And I support the no reporters in the locker room ban. Geez - give the team 15 - 20 minutes to clean up & decompress. Nobody's going to lose their shit if there's not video of the quarterback's thoughts on the game within 30 seconds of the game clock expiring. :doh:

Unless the players are complaining, I can't get my head around why someone would be so opposed to it

You clearly have no idea how competitive the industry is. If I don't have the QB's thoughts out there as fast as I can, then someone else will and that is not acceptable to me.

Um, yeah, BluRmGrl pretty much summed up every thought I just had about the story itself. Except for the locker room thing-I fully agree with your explanation as to why, but for now, since they are allowed, I really don't see the problem if one gender goes into the other's room. Learn some self-control and we shouldn't have an issue, really. It's not THAT difficult to do.

(And if we are going to keep doing locker room interviews, why not just have men go interview men and women go interview women if this could be that big an issue, then? Problem solved, no?)

When Sainz appeared on "Today" this morning to defend herself, the chatter over her short skirt and peek-a-boo blouse -- and not the harassment, or whether it prevented her from doing her job -- swelled to a deafening roar in the blogosphere.

Good to see the media's doing its usual bang-up job of focusing on the issue at hand :up:.

Angela

(And if we are going to keep doing locker room interviews, why not just have men go interview men and women go interview women if this could be that big an issue, then? Problem solved, no?)

because people will be crying foul over that too. Equal opportunity!

This does not make sense. So then you're advocating having men cover male sports and women cover female sports? Yeah, um, no. I fully support my female colleagues' right to be there and work like the rest of us do.

Ray

This does not make sense. So then you're advocating having men cover male sports and women cover female sports? Yeah, um, no. I fully support my female colleagues' right to be there and work like the rest of us do.

Ray

I'm personally not, I fully advocate men covering women's games and vice versa. I was merely talking about the issue of locker room interviews (and again, I personally have no issue with women going into men's locker rooms and vice versa, I think if everyone is mature enough to behave themselves there should be no problem), if people are that bothered by the idea of one gender being in the room of the opposite gender, I'd be curious to see if they'd be okay with that suggestion instead.

Angela

I don't think she should have been in that locker room for the simple reason that, while she was made to feel uncomfortable, her presence their could make others uncomfortable as well. I have nothing to hide, that being said, maybe I'd feel uncomfortable walking around naked in my locker room with a pretty woman (or any woman for that matter) present. Someone said that they don't think it would be wrong for a man to do an interview from a woman's locker room, but I don't think they're being very realistic: of COURSE that would never happen because certainly some female athletes would be uncomfortable with that man being there.

She shouldn't have ever been in that locker room. That being said, there are other issues:

Just because she was there doesn't give the Jets players the right to whistle and catcall and stare suggestively which, in my opinion, is sexually threatening. That's too much. If you're uncomfortable with a woman being back there, say something to someone in charge and, if they don't listen, then say something to the reporter like a gentleman. And if you, like me, can't help but notice how fucking hot she is, then you'll just have to notice it discreetly and respectfully just like every other man in this world does. Doesn't give them the right to act like dicks and I don't think we should blame the victim.

But my real problem is what happened OUTSIDE of the locker room and on the practice field. Rex Ryan instructing an assistant coach to run a wide receiver drill that threw passes at the reporter's feet so that the players could gain some physical proximity to her would be sophomoric and immature if it were a player that came up with the idea. The fact that a coach not only condoned it, but came up with it, is incredibly unprofessional and downright embarrassing to the Jets as an organization. Football players run on testosterone and adrenaline and, while they still must be held to society's standard, I think it's understood that they will get a little crazy sometimes. But as an NFL Head Coach, I think it's your responsibility to be the beacon of respect of proper conduct for your players. Rex Ryan cussing is not a big deal; it's football. It's an intense game and people cuss. Tony Dungy's Christian brigade can't stop that, ever. But when it comes to personal conduct, it's Rex Ryan's job to make sure that his players know that he will not allow them to act like jackasses and that's hard to do when he's ENCOURAGING them to act like jackasses.

It is trashy and unprofessional for her to dress like that. In a high-testosterone environment, in the locker room where it is the men's domain, she was being inappropriate. As someone who works in media and sports media I have seen female reporters conduct themselves with grace and respect and that involves business attire, not skankwear. They don't get whistled at or whatnot.

Not giving her all the blame, but some. She could have avoided some of it herself.

But my real problem is what happened OUTSIDE of the locker room and on the practice field. Rex Ryan instructing an assistant coach to run a wide receiver drill that threw passes at the reporter's feet so that the players could gain some physical proximity to her would be sophomoric and immature if it were a player that came up with the idea. The fact that a coach not only condoned it, but came up with it, is incredibly unprofessional and downright embarrassing to the Jets as an organization. Football players run on testosterone and adrenaline and, while they still must be held to society's standard, I think it's understood that they will get a little crazy sometimes. But as an NFL Head Coach, I think it's your responsibility to be the beacon of respect of proper conduct for your players. Rex Ryan cussing is not a big deal; it's football. It's an intense game and people cuss. Tony Dungy's Christian brigade can't stop that, ever. But when it comes to personal conduct, it's Rex Ryan's job to make sure that his players know that he will not allow them to act like jackasses and that's hard to do when he's ENCOURAGING them to act like jackasses.

Even with my uber-limited knowledge of sports, I get what you're saying here, and that's another excellent point to bring up. Focus on the game first and foremost. You want to talk to the pretty girl, you can do it during break time.

I agree that the idea of people being comfortable around the opposite sex in the locker room probably isn't the most realistic view in the world. It'd just be nice if it were, is all. I personally would feel a bit awkward being in a locker room with a guy I don't know wandering around in there, I'll freely admit that-not necessarily because I think he'd try something, but because I'm just one of those people who's very private about that stuff and I'd just want to avoid any embarrassment or uncomfortable feelings for myself or the guy. But other women may feel differently, who knows? I guess if someone were that uncomfortable about it they'd probably find some way to leave the room if they could. But I do indeed see your point, it's a fair one.

Angela

In poor taste? Sure, probably. Sexual harassment worthy of repercussions? I dont think so

I gotta say though, I found your first and second paragraph to be a little contradictory. Maybe I'm just reading them wrong.

To try & clarify what you found contradictory: the guys in the locker room just needed to show a little maturity. They should have kept their comments to themselves until she'd left the room & then they could discuss to their little hearts' content. But that's just wishful thinking & as a grown woman, she's got to know that.

I still say, she got the attention she was asking for. That doesn't give anyone the right to lay a hand on her, but I don't think it gives her much room to cry "harrassment", either. :shrug:

And the only way I think it'd be right for her to have been in the mens' locker room (or for a male reporter to be in a womens' locker room) was if there were a 20 minute buffer period after every game when players had a chance to shower & at least put on a robe before mics & cameras were in their faces. But that's not going to happen either, so we'll continue to have instances like this one.

Finally, as for the coach & players throwing passes in Ms. Sainz's area so the guys could get an up close view of her: really, guys? :doh: Once again, maturity & a little class would have prevented that from happening - apparently some folks in the Jets program don't have either. :slant:

But the thing is, is she even calling foul? In that most recently posted article she seems to be laughing it off, or am I misreading?

no, she isn't. another local female reporter is the one who brought it to the attention of the media, the jets and the NFL.

first off, i don't think any reporters should be allowed in the locker room. period. nfl, nba, wnba, mlb, nhl, male, female, gay, straight and everything in between. it should be a private sanctum for the team and nothing more. i do not care about the "competitiveness" of the business. reporters can wait. would you feel comfortable having the person who reviewed your job performance do it while you were in the bathroom? while you were getting changed? some things should be off limits, the locker room is one of them. there are more than enough facilities in professional stadiums and arenas for interviews to take place. at the very least, no reporter should be allowed in until everyone is dressed.

secondly, let's stop calling her a journalist. she's not. she goes to super bowl media day and gets carried around by linemen and takes a tape measure to see how big matt leinart's biceps are...

340x_custom_1284398813300_inesmattleinart.jpg

... she's as much a journalist as david letterman's producer biff is when they send him to do the same things. there are any number of excellent female sports journalists out there, but jackie macmullan this woman is not.

all that said, does she deserve to be treated the way she was when she went into the locker room? absolutely not, and the jets coaching staff should be fined for allowing the type of frat house behavior that their blowhard douche of a head coach encourages.

Basically to me innapropriate clothing is wearing a bikini or g string while reporting at the football. Wow her jeans were TIGHT? So like you could sorta see the outline of her bum? And omg omg omg a bit of cleavage you know a bit of both BOOBS I MEAN HOW CAN YOU STAND IT??

For fucks sake, this is stupid. 1. I don't think what the players did was sexual harrasment anyway, an admiration nod in he rdirection and a comment is not over the to, secondly who said she is dressing for them? Maybe she likes wearing that clothing, she feels confident and sexy and who are we to tell her what she can and can't wear? Professional is subjective, to some its a loose blouse and slacks to tohers it might be a tigt pencil skirt and a fitted top, suddenly shes a bit slutty and thherefore not professional.

And whoever talked about testosterone... GET OUT! OMG these men are so full of testosterone that a slight bit of boobie and they're going to go postal and start raping everything in sight i mean think of THE MEN!!!

This goes back to the whole if a woman is dressed in sexually revealing clothes (in someones opinion, as i dont think other then being naked is really sexually revealing) that she is maybe a tiny bit responsible, or maybe should have realised that she would be sexually harrassed/abused/raped/fondled etc because her clothing was too revealing and she was acting a bit slutty.

I just don't buy it. Sure i think todays fashion is horrendous, im glad i grew up in the time where baggy t-shirts and jeans were all the rage, i of course don't think young children or teenagers should wear these types of clothes, but for adults i think we all need to cool it a bit with this stupid idea. I feel sorry for the reporter, she didn't even really care about it and now its all been blown up and she's the one being blamed!

Back
Top Bottom