Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Her job is cheerleader sports journalist for a gossip/entertainment news show. Her outfits and sexy approach are entirely appropriate for her job.

The coaches and players were out of line. Period.

I do have an issue with her though, and it isn't her job or how she dresses for it. It was the bullshit claim about being uncomfortable with the attention she was getting - to get more attention. Based on her years in the industry and cheerleader approach, I categorically don't believe that she was offended or embarrassed by events in that locker room.

If there is anything that infuriates me as much as the crudeness of a dumb jock, it's the false modesty of the self-titled "hottest sports reporter in Mexico" to get herself onto the morning show circuit.

It reminds me of Sarah Palin's bait-and-switch media manipulation.

And take it down the line and it makes me think of women who have consensual sex then claim rape. It's an egregious insult to real victims.

And to answer Pearl's question in the OP, it's a contributor to the view that female sexuality is dangerous and therefore it shouldn't be expressed.
So how "modest" does a woman have to be to be a "real" victim of sexual harassment? Where do you draw a line?

As a legitimate journalist I'm not fond of the current infotainment trend, but I would never, ever, ever say a woman is asking for men to treat her disrespectully just because she works for a less-than-serious news organization and is expected to project a sexy image as part of her job. Media jobs of any kind are extremely difficult to come by these days.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:05 AM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:12 PM
Indeed. And it is annoying that it seems nowadays women are expected to either be pretty OR smart when they're on TV, there's no way they can possibly be both (shocking idea, I know).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Darnell Dockett went on a long rant about the situation via twitter, saying all he can do is laugh at her.

"All I can do is LOL at the jets Female Reporter! She walks into a locker room full of men and think some one not gonna say nothing LMFAO," he said. "I don't know what was said to her or whatever but u just have to know u going into a TEAM LOCKEROOM, and if its that serious WOMEN STAY OUT!" He even tweeted a picture of the reporter, writing, "Now why would u wear this!!! IM DONE!!"
Ahahaha. Aha, aha, ha, ha...

...yeah, that's not funny . Idiot.

It just amazes me that nobody in this situation seems to want to act like adults. A few crude catcalls from some immature guys does not harrassment make, and guys, come on, grow up. It's a girl, okay? You can find her attractive all you please, you can think whatever you want to think about her and trade some good-humored remarks back and forth with your buddies and such, but for god's sake, learn some class.

Angela

Old 09-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #108
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I still dont understand how some people can have such a strong opinion about something that affects them in no way whatsoever. Why does it matter to you so much that reporters are in the dressing room??? Who cares if its a hold over from a bygone era? How does that impact your lives in any way? NFL players are big boys and can speak for themselves. Is there any outrage from players? If not, why make it a concern of yours? It just blows my mind that people can have such strong opinions on other people's business.

-This isnt directed at anyone in particular. I've read the same thing several times and cant wrap my head around it. But feel free to respond if you fall into this category. Maybe I'm missing something
why do you have such a strong opinion on why people have such a strong opinion on this?

isn't that the point of this section of the forum? to discuss ideas and, oh i dunno, share one's opinions? maybe i'm missing something...
Old 09-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

I thought that was the point too. People go on and on in other sections of this forum about things that should have no direct impact on them-but they act as if it does for whatever reason As a female and as a fan of sports, it affects me. I'm not a naive fool but I also don't want to know that these same guys are treating women in such a way when they're at work. What they do off the field is bad enough in some cases-even though I'm just interested in what they do on the field if they're doing disgusting sexist things or worse then I'm offended by that. And the issue of sexual harassment affects me directly as a female. This is just one example of it and of the attitudes that some people still have so that alone makes it worth discussing. It's a microcosm of a much bigger situation, so at a certain point it's not just about the Jets.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Dress like a floozie, get treated like a floozie.

So if women don't dress like a "floozie" they won't get harassed? I have had things yelled out at me from car windows when I'm wearing my usual jeans and a football shirt that covers almost all the way down to my knees. No cleavage bared-there isn't any to bare. Try putting up with that when all you're trying to do is walk for exercise. Maybe I should walk in a burqa. Because these guys just can't control themselves, and I'm walking on a public street so what should I expect?

I don't care what she wears or how many biceps she measures, etc-what they did is still a form of harassment. They're grown men capable of treating all women in the right way. They can control themselves when the situation warrants-what they say in private, well that's up to them to deal with. Like I said before, if men don't think men can control themselves when the situation warrants then they don't have a very high opinion of their own gender.

Are the NFL cheerleaders "floozies"? They're exposing much more than she was every time they're on the sidelines. That's their job that they're getting paid for-should the players cat call them, say whatever was said to that woman, throw footballs intentionally in their direction? Should the coach, if he really participated in that?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:56 AM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
why do you have such a strong opinion on why people have such a strong opinion on this?

isn't that the point of this section of the forum? to discuss ideas and, oh i dunno, share one's opinions? maybe i'm missing something...
It annoys me to be perfectly honest. It's got nothing to do with having an opinion and everything to do with minding your own business. It's like the old lady that lives down the street who makes every neighbour's business her own. Seeing as how it's not even the issue at hand in this thread and is such a minor detail , I'm surprised how many times it's come up. It's not a big deal in the least, yet people seem to be so passionate about it. If you'd like to really answer the question, that would be awesome
Old 09-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

The most unfortunate thing about this entire saga is that Joe Namath wasn't attending Jets practice on the day of the incident.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
It annoys me to be perfectly honest. It's got nothing to do with having an opinion and everything to do with minding your own business. It's like the old lady that lives down the street who makes every neighbour's business her own. Seeing as how it's not even the issue at hand in this thread and is such a minor detail , I'm surprised how many times it's come up. It's not a big deal in the least, yet people seem to be so passionate about it. If you'd like to really answer the question, that would be awesome
i brought it up in my posts because if separate interview/debrief areas away from the locker rooms is good enough for sporting leagues much smaller than the nfl, why not the nfl as well?

but you weren't directing your post at me, but i felt like clarifying my position anyway.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #114
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
i brought it up in my posts because if separate interview/debrief areas away from the locker rooms is good enough for sporting leagues much smaller than the nfl, why not the nfl as well?

but you weren't directing your post at me, but i felt like clarifying my position anyway.
It was a general question, so I appreciate an actual answer And that's a fair enough point

I guess my point is, if they do conduct locker room interviews, how does that change anything for you? How does that affect anything for anyone but the people involved (players, journalists)? If the players and journalists arent complaining (or at the very least, see it as necessary and part of their jobs), then why should anyone else care? Sure, we're here to share opinions, but opinion for opinion's sake is a shitty reason to be having a conversation.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #115
Blue Crack Distributor

and if you don't care, why does it annoy you so much that you need to respond to it by sharing your not caring?
Old 09-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
So if women don't dress like a "floozie" they won't get harassed?
Not at all. I think you missed the first part of my post. I'm a big believer in personal responsibility. The players should take responsibility for their actions. So should she. As others have posted on this board, by playing up the sexual part of her job (measuring biceps, riding around on players' shoulders, conducting interviews in cleavage revealing outfits), she has actually made it harder for legitimate female sports reporters to be taken seriously.

And I do think that this woman complaining about harassment actually waters down the experiences of women who have actually been legitimately harassed (by that I mean being on the receiving end of unsolicited, unmotivated sexual comments and innuendo), such as yourself.

She wants attention. They're idiots. Stupid is as stupid does.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #117
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:12 PM
I find it interesting(actually hypocritical) that there is so much discussion about her clothes.

She's in a locker room, the men are half naked, why wasn't she harassing them?
Old 09-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
and if you don't care, why does it annoy you so much that you need to respond to it by sharing your not caring?
Are you going to post something worth while?

I dont care about where they conduct interviews, I do care that people cant seem to butt out of other people's business. I'm wondering if there is a valid reason for caring so much about locker room interviews. I'm not the one who brought it up. Feel free to answer or to post another retarded response
Old 09-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
Not at all. I think you missed the first part of my post. I'm a big believer in personal responsibility. The players should take responsibility for their actions. So should she. As others have posted on this board, by playing up the sexual part of her job (measuring biceps, riding around on players' shoulders, conducting interviews in cleavage revealing outfits), she has actually made it harder for legitimate female sports reporters to be taken seriously.

And I do think that this woman complaining about harassment actually waters down the experiences of women who have actually been legitimately harassed (by that I mean being on the receiving end of unsolicited, unmotivated sexual comments and innuendo), such as yourself.

She wants attention. They're idiots. Stupid is as stupid does.
The reason she doesn't share the same personal responsibility as the players is showing a little cleavage does no harm to anyone, but sexual harrasment does. And if someone takes me less seriously as a journalist because of what some other woman does, that person is a sexist ass and wouldn't take me seriously anyway.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #120
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Are you going to post something worth while?

I dont care about where they conduct interviews, I do care that people cant seem to butt out of other people's business. I'm wondering if there is a valid reason for caring so much about locker room interviews. I'm not the one who brought it up. Feel free to answer or to post another retarded response

Cute.

the entire issue at hand with this topic is the behavior of football players with a reporter in the locker room. If you can't grasp why the issue of whether our not there should be interviews done in the locker room at all is part of this particular issue then I really have nothing else to say.