Did She Ask For It? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind

Old 09-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
let's argue against one stereotype by using another.
Both lived up to stereotypes I'm afraid.

Juvenile on one side, manipulative on the other (not the being sexy part).

Old 09-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:10 PM
no one should be allowed in lockerrooms period. it is an outdated practice. many players speak after the game on the field and at presser after the game. lets not forget about twitter, youtube, blah blah blah. we have more access to them than ever, without the locker room.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #78
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan269 View Post
no one should be allowed in lockerrooms period. it is an outdated practice. many players speak after the game on the field and at presser after the game. lets not forget about twitter, youtube, blah blah blah.
absolutely.

reporters going into the locker rooms is a hold over from the days when newspaper reporters had to get their story done by a certain time in order to meet a deadline.

nobody reads newspapers anymore. get the reporters out of the locker room.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie

talking to reporters here, absolutely NO ONE likes going into the locker room.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:10 PM
According to this she is NOT the Tom Brady wedding dress reporter. Heidi Watney is the "sideline" reporter for the tv station that covers Boston Red Sox games. I've seen her in person at games on the field wearing a very short dress with very high heels and all the guys are looking and talking-and sometimes saying crude things (I'm speaking of fans only, obviously I don't know what any players are saying) she's very pretty. So is she "setting herself up" for things too? It reminds me of the whole Christine Brennan/Erin Andrews thing-add Elisabeth Hasselbeck in there too. But Christine is a sports writer and reporter. Dress vs behavior-as far as I know in the Jets situation Inez's behavior is not in question so why does any of her past behavior have to be called into question in evaluating the specific Jets situation? And "schtick"/behavior invites or sets yourself up for harassment? Is that true for male reporter schtick and behavior too?

As far as I know Heidi's romantic link to a player is just rumor.

boston.com

Heidi Watney might want to think before speaking next time. Talking yesterday about the controversy involving the New York Jets and a female journalist who claims she was made to feel “uncomfortable’’ in the team’s locker room, the Sox sideline reporter basically blamed the woman. Appearing on WZLX’s “Karlson & McKenzie’’ show, Watney said she knows next to nothing about the story, but still suggested Ines Sainz was harassed because “she does outlandish things, that’s part of her shtick. . . . Not that you have it coming, but in this world you set yourself up for things.’’ Watney went on to say: “I know that she’s the reporter who showed up at the Super Bowl with the wedding dress on for Tom Brady.’’ In fact, she’s not that reporter. Another TV Azteca correspondent, Ines Gomez Mont, wore a wedding dress to media day at the Super Bowl. Watney, who’s been romantically linked to at least one ballplayer in the past, said, “You yourself are held to a standard of behavior, so you can’t blame other people around you.’’
Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
no one should be allowed in lockerrooms period. it is an outdated practice. many players speak after the game on the field and at presser after the game. lets not forget about twitter, youtube, blah blah blah. we have more access to them than ever, without the locker room.
I agree with that-it does seem outdated

Yes I would think that male reporters don't like it either
Old 09-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
According to this she is NOT the Tom Brady wedding dress reporter.

you are right, the reporter however worked for the same gimicy network.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
you are right, the reporter however worked for the same gimicy network.
But all sports networks have gimmicks to one extent or another-even ESPN
Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
According to this she is NOT the Tom Brady wedding dress reporter. Heidi Watney is the "sideline" reporter for the tv station that covers Boston Red Sox games. I've seen her in person at games on the field wearing a very short dress with very high heels and all the guys are looking and talking- she's very pretty. So is she "setting herself up" for things too? It reminds me of the whole Christine Brennan/Erin Andrews thing-add Elisabeth Hasselbeck in there too. But Christine is a sports writer and reporter. Dress vs behavior-as far as I know in the Jets situation Inez's behavior is not in question so why does any of her past behavior have to be called into question in evaluating the specific Jets situation?

boston.com

Heidi Watney might want to think before speaking next time. Talking yesterday about the controversy involving the New York Jets and a female journalist who claims she was made to feel “uncomfortable’’ in the team’s locker room, the Sox sideline reporter basically blamed the woman. Appearing on WZLX’s “Karlson & McKenzie’’ show, Watney said she knows next to nothing about the story, but still suggested Ines Sainz was harassed because “she does outlandish things, that’s part of her shtick. . . . Not that you have it coming, but in this world you set yourself up for things.’’ Watney went on to say: “I know that she’s the reporter who showed up at the Super Bowl with the wedding dress on for Tom Brady.’’ In fact, she’s not that reporter. Another TV Azteca correspondent, Ines Gomez Mont, wore a wedding dress to media day at the Super Bowl. Watney, who’s been romantically linked to at least one ballplayer in the past, said, “You yourself are held to a standard of behavior, so you can’t blame other people around you.’’
the main difference between the ladies you mentioned (am i splitting hairs maybe, and this does not excuse the behavior) but the lockerroom/practice presence is really for news gathering (you should look professional) the other women are usually sideline/television entertainment so they might have to look prettier because they are expected to be on television.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
But all sports networks have gimmicks to one extent or another-even ESPN
I agree . however Aztec is outrageous...the mexican TMZ 24/7.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:59 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
the main difference between the ladies you mentioned (am i splitting hairs maybe, and this does not excuse the behavior) but the lockerroom/practice presence is really for news gathering (you should look professional) the other women are usually sideline/television entertainment so they might have to look prettier because they are expected to be on television.
I see the distinction you're making but Heidi also goes into the locker room and interviews players and she interviews the manager in his office and in the press conference room before and after games. So seemingly she's there for both purposes. Don't know if she changes clothes because she's just shown in a close shot. On tv you can't see how short that particular dress is, the one I saw in person, or her shoes. If you're at the game you can. Obviously the players can always see.

Don't know about Christine Brennan-I was only talking about what she said about Erin Andrews and DWTS and Erin's stalking situation. I completely disagreed with what she said
Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #87
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
According to this she is NOT the Tom Brady wedding dress reporter. Heidi Watney is the "sideline" reporter for the tv station that covers Boston Red Sox games. I've seen her in person at games on the field wearing a very short dress with very high heels and all the guys are looking and talking-and sometimes saying crude things (I'm speaking of fans only, obviously I don't know what any players are saying) she's very pretty. So is she "setting herself up" for things too? It reminds me of the whole Christine Brennan/Erin Andrews thing-add Elisabeth Hasselbeck in there too. But Christine is a sports writer and reporter. Dress vs behavior-as far as I know in the Jets situation Inez's behavior is not in question so why does any of her past behavior have to be called into question in evaluating the specific Jets situation? And "schtick"/behavior invites or sets yourself up for harassment? Is that true for male reporter schtick and behavior too?

boston.com

again, whether she's a journalist or a circus clown, it does not excuse the jets behavior one single bit.

that said, she is not a sports journalist. she's not the one who goes around in wedding dresses asking tom brady to marry her. she's the one who goes around with a tape measure asking if she can measure guy's biceps.

her entire schtick is to be the sexy, flirty "reporter." calling her a journalist is an insult to the great female sports journalists out there. if she's a journalist, baba booey is edward r. murrow.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:15 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

I agree that that sexy female reporter schtick is not sports journalism. What constitutes that these days is debatable-male and female. It's the infotainment issue, that's a whole other issue. I like enjoy sports because I enjoy the actual sport-doesn't mean I don't notice and appreciate good looking athletes because I certainly do. That includes female athletes. I'd be a liar if I said otherwise, but that's not why I'm watching and I do know a decent amount about sports and I've been a sports fan since an early age. But that is not the same as harassment on the job, and I can and do appreciate their looks in a polite and appropriate way.

As long as sexy female reporter schtick exists she is still there to do her job, because that is her job that she's being paid for. Whether that should exist or not is up to the industry and the employers. Like most here are saying, that doesn't excuse the Jets behavior at all.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #89
Blue Crack Addict

All being said there are so many male athletes who are great guys and gentlemen who would never have done what the Jets are alleged to have done. I haven't read about any of their comments or tweets or whatever speaking out about this-not that they have to but it would be nice.

Kind of a shame that they even have to issue such a memo

(CNN) -- The National Football League has sent a memo to all 32 of its teams, reminding players and league employees that female reporters should be treated professionally and with respect.

The note comes on the heels of news that the New York Jets team is investigating allegations of harassment by team members toward television sports reporter Ines Sainz.

The memo cites the NFL's Media Relations Playbook, which states that "by law, women must be granted the same rights to perform their jobs as men. Please remember that women reporters are professionals and should be treated as such."

Among other things, the playbook stresses that "it is important to you and this organization that you present yourself to the media in a manner and style in which you yourself would like to be received and treated."

The memo also notes that "barring individual members of the regularly accredited media ... for what is perceived as 'unfair coverage' or any similar reason is not permitted."
Old 09-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #90
Blue Crack Distributor

i wouldn't even categorize what she does with what the erin andrews of the world do. erin andrews may play the role of "sexy female reporter," but she is a reporter and does ask serious questions. she at least has a level of journalistic integrity about her.