Did Reuters Crop Photos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In 2008, Reuters published a "fact box” on Jerusalem, omitting any mention that Arabs attacked Israel in 1947 and 1967 or that the Bible records the purchase of the city by King David.

Reuters dedicated three paragraphs to the Muslim claim to the city, failing to note that the Koran does not mention the city even once.

So Reuters didn't mention the Bible or the Koran as sources?

Those anti-israel bastards :madwife:

Isn't a knife just a tool? :shrug:

I do not see this as a black and white issue, it's a very complex, sad, and misguided issue. And I find anyone who takes a hardline stance either way to be sad and misguided.

I agree.

So lets try this simple question.

Did Reuters crop the photos?

Did Reuters crop the photos?

Possibly.

Possibly, without seeing the knife.

Possibly, to focus on the main focus of the picture.

There are a dozen reasons.

Pictures get cropped, they have since the dawn of photography.

We don't really know the reason for the cropping, or the knife.

But knives are just tools, so don't worry.

Yeah, peace with knives....

What video did you watch?

The one where a vessel was clearly warned, multiple times, and chose not to comply.

IDF dropped down one-by-one with paintball guns, and got their asses handed to them with knives and steel poles. Unfortunately the real guns came out, and we know the result of that.

I do not see this as a black and white issue, it's a very complex, sad, and misguided issue. And I find anyone who takes a hardline stance either way to be sad and misguided.

Anyone except for dear, sweet, lovable Helen Thomas who you'll defend when she calls the confrontation a "deliberate massacre, an international crime..." while scolding the press secretary in the White House Press Room.

you know, INDY, you're wielding anti-semitism in the way that you feel others wield racism.

yeah, it's kinda fun. I can see why much of the Left is so enamored with the technique as it sure beats the hell out of looking up facts and debating issues on their merit.

Guess I'll "move on' since the jig is up.

yeah, it's kinda fun. I can see why much of the Left is so enamored with the technique as it sure beats the hell out of looking up facts and debating issues on their merit.

Guess I'll "move on' since the jig is up.

i think Ms. Thomas' comments were anti-Semetic.

however, i do not think that any and all criticism of Israel is anti-Semetic, though it's treated as such by many if not most conservatives.

i think Huckabee's wish for all the Arabs to be deported from the West Bank and sent "elsewhere" is racist.

Yeah, 'cause the majority of the left never does that, look up facts and talk about the actual issues. They just make wild, baseless accusations all the time with nothing to back it up.

Please.

Angela

i think Huckabee's wish for all the Arabs to be deported from the West Bank and sent "elsewhere" is racist.

Indeed. What Huckabee is arguing is to ethnically cleanse the area of Arabs. And whereas plenty of liberals have denounced Helen Thomas' comments as deplorable and inexcusable, not one conservative of note has spoken out against Huckabee's comments.

I think we can all agree that:

1. Helen Thomas's comments were totally unacceptable and she did the honorable thing by resigning. For the record, I'd feel the same way if she had said that the Americans should get the hell out of the United States and give it back to the Native Americans who were there first.

2. Mike Huckabee's comments about the transfer of Arabs, while being good intentioned, is totally unrealistic - it just won't happen.
That being said, Mike Huckabee is a very good friend of Israel and he's even organizing a pilgrimage here in early 2011. He's been here several times and has always been welcomed with great respect and admiration.

3. Israel isn't going anywhere.

4. The Palestinians aren't going anywhere.

5. The only solution is a comprehensive peace plan with a true Palestinian leadership, driving out all the terrorist organizations who refuse to accept our existance and who have had a chokehold on the Palestinian populace for so many years, and the establishment of an independent Palestinian state in Gaza and the West Bank which will have normal relations with us: commerce, tourism and cooperation in the fields of health, welfare, agriculture, technology, etc.
When this peace is finally achieved, it will have a ripple effect to all nations in the Middle East and the region will see a prosperity never before seen in its entire history.

We can be of great help to each other under the proper circumstances and I believe that this can be achieved in our lifetime - but not as long as the Palestinians are being held hostage by militant extremists who don't give a damm about them, and not as long as the maniac in Iran remains in power and constantly threatens to wipe us off the face of the earth - which will never happen anyway.

Call me crazy, but I do envision a day when I can take a train to Damascus and go shopping in the bazaar and then hop to Beirut to take in some of the culture and history of the place. I'd also love to see the Burj Khalifa in Dubai (even though tall buildings scare me....lol) and I've always been curious about visiting Iraq - where Abraham the founder of the Jewish nation was born.

As John Lennon said: "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one....I hope someday you'll join us and the world will live as one".

It CAN happen - we just need the right people to MAKE it happen.....

Anyone except for dear, sweet, lovable Helen Thomas who you'll defend when she calls the confrontation a "deliberate massacre, an international crime..." while scolding the press secretary in the White House Press Room.

This is why you've jumped the shark, for I haven't defended her...

Indeed. What Huckabee is arguing is to ethnically cleanse the area of Arabs. And whereas plenty of liberals have denounced Helen Thomas' comments as deplorable and inexcusable, not one conservative of note has spoken out against Huckabee's comments.

Case in point:

1. Helen Thomas's comments were totally unacceptable and she did the honorable thing by resigning. For the record, I'd feel the same way if she had said that the Americans should get the hell out of the United States and give it back to the Native Americans who were there first.

2. Mike Huckabee's comments about the transfer of Arabs, while being good intentioned, is totally unrealistic - it just won't happen.
That being said, Mike Huckabee is a very good friend of Israel and he's even organizing a pilgrimage here in early 2011. He's been here several times and has always been welcomed with great respect and admiration.

We can all agree Helen did the respectable thing, but Huckabee is just being unrealistic and is welcomed with great respect and admiration.

WTF :huh:

Case in point:

We can all agree Helen did the respectable thing, but Huckabee is just being unrealistic and is welcomed with great respect and admiration.

WTF :huh:

Hi BVS -
You're usually very fair to me - but why are you now taking my words out of context and mixing two different things?
I said that Huckabees remarks were unrealistic because it will never happen.
As a footnote, I mentioned that his visits to Israel were always met with respect and admiration.

I didn't mean for it to appear that I agreed with what he said about the Arabs - because I don't agree.

I said two separate things here. Is it clear now?

You don't like what Huckabee said, or you just don't agree that it's possible for what he said to happen? You seem to say his comment is good intentioned, but hers is unacceptable. They're pretty much the same.

You don't like what Huckabee said, or you just don't agree that it's possible for what he said to happen? You seem to say his comment is good intentioned, but hers is unacceptable. They're pretty much the same.

Okay let me be absolutely clear:
1. I do NOT agree with what Helen Thomas said but I don't condemm her either because we ALL say things in the heat of anger that we regret later, and the Israeli response to the provocation flotilla brought out the worst in people - including a seasoned veteran like Helen Thomas.

2. I do NOT agree with what Mike Huckabee said purely because I believe that the Palestinians have a right to their own state alongside Israel and it is unrealistic to think that it is feasible to transfer them out of here. I said he has good intentions because he's a friend of Israel and what he said he said out of a sense of what is in Israel's best interest.

NOW am I clear??

2. I do NOT agree with what Mike Huckabee said purely because I believe that the Palestinians have a right to their own state alongside Israel and it is unrealistic to think that it is feasible to transfer them out of here. I said he has good intentions because he's a friend of Israel and what he said he said out of a sense of what is in Israel's best interest.

NOW am I clear??

You are a little clearer now. But you're still being much more softer on Huckabee than Thomas.

Just look, it took you three posts to say you don't agree with his comments. The other two still sounded like you agreed with his comments but they were just "unrealistic"(your wording was actually a little scary).

But why was it honorable for Thomas to retire and not Huckabee?

You are a little clearer now. But you're still being much more softer on Huckabee than Thomas.

Just look, it took you three posts to say you don't agree with his comments. The other two still sounded like you agreed with his comments but they were just "unrealistic"(your wording was actually a little scary).

But why was it honorable for Thomas to retire and not Huckabee?

I apologize if I was unclear before. I usually try to get my points across a little more clearly.

The way I see it, the difference between Helen Thomas and Mike Huckabee is the nature of their work. Helen Thomas is a White House correspondent and, as such, is not entirely free to state her opinion on the record. She is the representative of the Hearst organization and her job is to REPORT the news.

Mike Huckabee is employed by Fox News as a COMMENTATOR (just like Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck). He gives commentary on the day's events, which gives him more latitude in his opinions (mind you, I said LATITUDE and not free reign).

Mike Huckabee is employed by Fox News as a COMMENTATOR (just like Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck). He gives commentary on the day's events, which gives him more latitude in his opinions (mind you, I said LATITUDE and not free reign).

Except Huckabee was also a candidate in the running for the Republican party presidential nomination in 2008. Had he won, he could've had a chance at being our next president. He's got a political history and still has political influence. So hearing him say what he said about Arabs is even more unsettling given that.

I do hope, by the way, that your vision of a peaceful Palestine and Israel standing side by side does one day happen. I won't lose hope that it someday will, too. I hope people from both countries will be able to come and go as they please without the fear of violence. That'd be spectacular.

Angela

The thing about democracy is that Israel doesn't get to decide "true Palestinian leadership" or Iranian leadership for that matter.

True Palestinian leadership means a government that spends money on infrastructure and health care for their people rather than on weapons to shoot at us.

As for the Iranian leadership - the riots following the recent elections prove that the Iranian people are tired of this tiny man with the big mouth. Achmad-in-a-jar is leading his people all right......right into oblivion!

Surely you can agree that both the Palestinians and the Iranians can do better in terms of leaders....

True Palestinian leadership means a government that spends money on infrastructure and health care for their people rather than on weapons to shoot at us.

Again, that's up to Palestinians. Based on the circumstances they're facing.

As for the Iranian leadership - the riots following the recent elections prove that the Iranian people are tired of this tiny man with the big mouth.

I would say elections dating back to 2000 make a mockery of democracy and governments all over the globe.

Surely you can agree that both the Palestinians and the Iranians can do better in terms of leaders.

Absolutely. I would also say Israel and the countries of the G8/G20 need better leadership as well.

Edit: saw your further clarification later on, so I'll scale back my righteous indignation. ;) Still though, there's a vast gulf between the condemnation of Thomas's comments and the "disagreement" with Huckabee's comments.

So if you're "a very good friend of Israel" you're allowed to get away with saying absolutely despicable things like Huckabee said, with relatively little backlash?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom