Dialect map quiz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You would have never have seen that episode if I hadn't decided to watch just season 8 of the office instead of sitting through the whole thing to get to James Spader, so you're welcome. My time saving abilities are here for you.

Huh. A couple of Americans in a class I had once were insistent that it was pronounced "pome" and were amused by how we pronounce it more like "poh-um".

This quiz put my closest areas as San Antonio and the DFW Metroplex. Close; I'm between the two on I-35. I also have a lot of red in Houston, Southern California, and the San Francisco Bay Area. I am least similar to Providence, Buffalo, and Philadelphia.

I pronounce "crayon" mostly like "cran," but there's just the hint of a second syllable in there.

:lol: Damn now I want to hear one of you guys pronounce Crayon. I seriously have never heard it being pronounced in just one syllable.

I had everyone at my house say Crayon, tonight, and every person said it the same way I do.

ooh yeah we should come up with a list of words or something that everyone could read off of or something. sorry, i love this stuff :reject:

"Crayon" and "poem" are the start of the list.

Something like "dance" or "chance" would also be good. I love to give shit to my fellow Kiwis in Australia who've lapsed into pronouncing those words the Aussie way (with a nasal "a" rather than "dahnsse" or "chahnsse"). Oh and then there's "known" and "grown"; I think the Kiwi two-syllable pronunciation of words with an -n suffix is distinctive; i.e. in my accent "grown" and "groan" sound totally different.

Oh and then there's "known" and "grown"; I think the Kiwi two-syllable pronunciation of words with an -n suffix is distinctive; i.e. in my accent "grown" and "groan" sound totally different.
i know exactly what you mean, i guess i'd say it's like...know-in? i can hear it in my head. there's not a lot of emphasis on the -n, so for anyone thinking it's like know-IN (or knowing) it's not. bah.

i'd say kiwis say "oo" sounds differently too, like book, took, wood, etc. it's totally different from any other english-speaking accent i've ever heard, anyway.

i know exactly what you mean, i guess i'd say it's like...know-in? i can hear it in my head. there's not a lot of emphasis on the -n, so for anyone thinking it's like know-IN (or knowing) it's not. bah.

i'd say kiwis say "oo" sounds differently too, like book, took, wood, etc. it's totally different from any other english-speaking accent i've ever heard, anyway.

I'd probably write it out as "know'n" myself but "know-in" is just as good, with emphasis on the first syllable as you say; it's as if we've dropped a vowel (like we do in so many other words). Oddly enough, I think I've actually come to unintentionally exaggerate the -n living in Australia around people who don't do it; I notice that my relatives back home pronounce the -n softer than I do.

Not sure I've noticed the distinctive "oo" that you mention. I wonder if I do it? My accent is a total mess. I did an interview on Kiwi radio yesterday and all my Kiwi relatives commented on how Aussie my accent sounds sometimes (perhaps didn't help that I began with "g'day"!), but everybody at work reckons that I sound the most Kiwi of the entire Kiwi contingent - despite the fact I've lived in Australia for at least a decade longer than the other Kiwis! I think it really depends on what I say and what local reference the listener has as to whether I sound Kiwi or Aussie to somebody. If I'm yelling at the footy, I know I sound Australian (after all, "barracking" for a team and telling them to "CAAAARN!" [come on] are of Melbourne origin), but if I'm holding forth on a Kiwi topic I can really lapse into the Kiwi side of my accent.

I think it really depends on what I say and what local reference the listener has as to whether I sound Kiwi or Aussie to somebody. If I'm yelling at the footy, I know I sound Australian (after all, "barracking" for a team and telling them to "CAAAARN!" [come on] are of Melbourne origin), but if I'm holding forth on a Kiwi topic I can really lapse into the Kiwi side of my accent.
that kind of reminds me how sometimes i can pick up little elements of someone else's accents if i talk to them. i mean, nothing major, i won't suddenly start speaking with a fake english accent or something, i'll just notice during a conversation i'll say a vowel the way they do or something. i've always called it accent velcro.

as for coming up with a list of words, in addition to crayon, poem, and dance/chance, one can just plagiate from the quiz:
caramel, been, lawyer, mayonnaise, coupon, route, pyjamas, pecan pie (the way i say it wasn't even on there), syrup, mary/merry/marry*, cot/caught*, herb, dew, aunt...there's a lot here: http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html (only about the first half is pronunciations while the second half is more grammar, but it's still a lot)

*i know of more mergers should anyone find that of any interest: father/bother, lot/cloth, foot/goose, pin/pen, toe/tow, line/loin, coil/curl, mare/mayor, taut/taught, trap/bath, wine/whine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom