Detroit is Bankrupt - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Sweet, now I have an even better chance of buying an abandoned factory to live in.
More likely your tax dollars will be spent to tear it down

Old 07-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcrusader View Post
The surge in public sector jobs (half of Detroit’s top ten employers are government entities) only escalates the decline. You need multiple private sector jobs for every public sector job to have adequate revenue to support the public sector job.
Is there a sure in public sector jobs or is the ratio skewed by the exodus of private sector employers?

Quote:
The ticking time bomb facing the country are public sector employee pension obligations.
Bingo. This is going to be a huge, huge problem across the US and to a lesser, but still worrisome extent in Canada. Public sector pensions, particularly those that are still of the defined benefit variety cannot be maintained. There just isn't the money for them.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:02 AM
The way I read it, these two aren't really saying anything all that different. Their posts only differ maybe in tone and ideology but essentially paint the same picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
Detroit failed because manufacturing failed and the city went into a shrinking-tax-revenue death spiral. Even as the auto industry and the metro area are picking up, the city lags behind, as there has been mass flight into the suburbs. Those left behind are those who can't afford to leave, and they generally pay less in taxes and absorb more in services. There is no economic policy in the universe that can reverse this spiral in the short term.
Quote:
ng plants[/URL] For any unit of government, there is a balance between revenue through taxation and spending. Detroit residents are already paying the highest per capital taxes of any municipality in Michigan. Continued tax increases cannot solve the fiscal problem. Spending is the real culprit here. The surge in public sector jobs (half of Detroit’s top ten employers are government entities) only escalates the decline. You need multiple private sector jobs for every public sector job to have adequate revenue to support the public sector job.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:02 AM
Interesting Freakonomics post on Detroit a few years back...

Quote:
It’s hard to imagine, but up until 1950, Detroit was the fourth biggest city in America. In 1960, it had the highest per-capita income in the U.S.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

When I saw that statistic, I was reminded of the old saying "pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered".
Old 07-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

You know - I'm beginning to wonder if the only reason Nixon opened up relations with China was to break the power that labor had over employers here in the US.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

That is an easy one. No. That thinking was not around in the late 60s early 70s.

The better argument was to look for an opening against the Soviet Union. Nixon had a true passion against the Communist Soviets.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #23
The Fly

I lived in Detroit briefly back in the 90s . Even back then things were in awful condition and there was talk of when the city would finally go bankrupt. I don't know exactly what caused Detroit's downfall, but I do know it's more complicated than simply saying "republicans/democrats ruined it with their policies!". A lot of people are saying a lot of things about Detroit, about how this is where the rest of the country is headed, and other "scary" things. I don't know if I agree with them, but I do know that Seattle would be in huge trouble if the big tech companies like Amazon and Microsoft just up and left.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 11:02 AM
Don't blame Detroit's bankruptcy on the government. Greed and corporate power are a dangerous cocktail that is bringing misfortunes in today's world.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
Don't blame Detroit's bankruptcy on the government. Greed and corporate power are a dangerous cocktail that is bringing misfortunes in today's world.
Greed & power exist in government as well. Government doesn't get a free pass on this one.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Greed & power exist in government as well. Government doesn't get a free pass on this one.
Very true - which is why I don't think communism can succeed any more than capitalism - or feudalism - or hunter & gatheringism ....etc. Over time, those with a heavy dose of greed for wealth and power will work/mold the system to their favor until enough people get angry and rebel - then we start again.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Very true - which is why I don't think communism can succeed any more than capitalism - or feudalism - or hunter & gatheringism ....etc. Over time, those with a heavy dose of greed for wealth and power will work/mold the system to their favor until enough people get angry and rebel - then we start again.
What has that got to do with communism?

Greed and power in government is not really applicable in regards to this, given the system itself rejects class and a centralised state.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
What has that got to do with communism?

Greed and power in government is not really applicable in regards to this, given the system itself rejects class and a centralised state.
I respectfully disagree - greed and power always creep in, that's why every human institution eventually crumbles.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:18 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:02 AM
Hunting-and-gatherism succeeded quite admirably. Was that just tossed into the sentence as an afterthought?

Not that I'd suggest for a second that any of us can or should return to it. But still.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Hunting-and-gatherism succeeded quite admirably.
True - and supposedly their diet was much better.