Democratic National Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't find it insincere, though I don't like when he's done with his congratulatory comment, his face is shown with the 'I'm John McCain and I approve this message'.

YouTube - Convention Night

Does anyone else find his "perfect" comment to be a bit insincere?

I mean he probably means what he says, but the tone of it suggests that he's also implying something else.

I thought that too. I walked in during the middle of the story on the news and had no idea the story behind it, or that it was even an ad. I just thought, Why does it sound like he's mocking Obama's nomination being on this day? When I heard the whole story, I thought it showed class, though.

More people watched Obama speak than watched the Olympics opening ceremony in Beijing, the final "American Idol" or the Academy Awards this year.

So he picked her so a bunch of people would talk about it and forget about Obama's speech? So that's why he didn't go with Romney?

That's the attention span of the media and the American public-has little to do with picking Sarah Palin

So he picked her so a bunch of people would talk about it and forget about Obama's speech? So that's why he didn't go with Romney?

That's the attention span of the media and the American public-has little to do with picking Sarah Palin

it may have little to do with the picking of Palin, but it had everything to do with the timing of the announcement, as well as the many red herrings over the past week.

.....and today, few people are talking about it.

I'm sure that the Democratic Party was prepared for this. After all, why else would you schedule your national convention a week before the Republican National Convention? And then McCain had the "audacity" to announce his VP pick on the Friday before the convention? Didn't Obama name his VP pick before the convention too?

Maybe they just need to schedule convention times better in the future, so that they're after the RNC next time. But I agree with other posters here in saying that Palin's novelty will wear thin very soon, as you get the very real sense that the only reason McCain chose her is because of her gender, more or less.

Were there any Michael Moore sightings this week, I didn't see him? 4 years ago, with Fahrenheit 911 in the theaters, he was all over Boston.

YouTube - Convention Night

Does anyone else find his "perfect" comment to be a bit insincere?

I mean he probably means what he says, but the tone of it suggests that he's also implying something else.

It would have been easy to let the Palin nom slip out early and put the News cycle in a frenzy.

Just like Biden's name got out the night before the promised text.

To McCain's credit they kept the lid 'real tight' on this,
not to detract from Obama's big night.

Obama failed to keep his word to all his supporters, that he promised would be the first to know.

McCain gave no promise that the announcement would be text or anything else, he just did the selfless thing waited until the next day,
to honor Obama's acceptance speech last night :up:

Which team would you have more confidence in keeping national security issues safe?

McCain gave no promise, but just did the selfless thing,
to honor Obama's nomination. :up:

It had nothing to do

with trying to compete with Obama previously for the news cycle

and losing miserably, the reporters labelling McCain as creme cheese in a jello salad that time.

McCain gave no promise, but just did the selfless thing,
to honor Obama's nomination. :up:

Which team would you have more confidence in keeping national security issues safe?

It's hard to tell when you're being serious or not, so I'm going to chalk this up as a joke.

Which part?

I will give you 5 to 1 that Obama will not nominate Hillary for supreme count in first term.

Well first you'd have to give me odds on him even getting elected. :lol:

And we're only in August. :hi5:

Relatedly: I know some people around here were mocking the Republican -> Democrat switchover, but I actually witnessed it last night. My mom wants to change parties. (Okay, it's not solely based on Obama or his speeches, and she did vote Kerry last time around, but she's finally declared that she's fed up with the Republican party is going to try and convince her Republican friends - and quite frankly, all her friends are Republican - to vote for Obama this time around.)

:applaud: good for your mom!

on very rare occasions I've voted twice for Local Republicans -
both Liberal Republicans back in the 60's - 70's
(I was too young to vote in the first) Mayor Lindsay and later Sen Charles Goodell
Lindsay won, Goodell didn't

it was because the 2 democrats were SUCH social conservative Dems ....bleh!

Now Mayor Lindsay............. he could have run for President as a Mayor of a 7 million World City..........not a maoyr of a approx 7200 - 8000 town...an d Alaska has the the least or almost the last least populated STATE IN THE USA....

IN FACT..... think I still have it...... a Lindsay button........I collect mostly Democratic political buttons....

Mayor Lindsay.....
"it's the second hardest job in the Country"

Back
Top Bottom