Democratic National Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have done a fair amount of research on both candidates...thanks for letting me know i should do that. I also am not naive enough to think most of the agenda either candidate proposes will have a chance in hell of being implemented the way they portray it. I have seen too many of these speeches, known too many politicians and well understand the dynamics of government and business. This speech was amazing, but that is all it was. If you think it is more, you may be sadly disappointed in 4 years.

This speech was amazing, but that is all it was. If you think it is more, you may be sadly disappointed in 4 years.

i am under no illusions of how difficult the next 4 years are going to be.

it has struck me that no matter who is elected, they may be a one-termer due to the mess we're in.

I watched this speech and as well executed as it was, I was left thinking 'Drink more Kool-Aid'. Sorry, it was just more of the same old politics that has been around for years. Lots of promises which will never be fulfilled. I don't see how this embodies 'Change' at all.

You are partially right.

It would be interesting to lay this speech side by side with some of Bill Clintons.

There are major similarities, so it is nothing new.

Except it is a big change from the last 8 years.

Can all the promises be kept.
Well, if you set your goals there, you may get some accomplished.

If you didn't like Bill Clinton's agenda, then you won't like Obama's.

He offered Gays, hospital visitation. No risk taker.

and no defense of Roe v Wade. Just a promise to reduce unwanted pregnancies.

A 45 minute talk, but only 5 minutes spent on Foreign Policy and National Security, the policy area's that the Presidency has the most impact on.

That may be what a Republican presidency is concerned with, considering they are notorious for ignoring domestic issues.

Maybe we really should have a Prime Minister in this country.

I cannot believe there are still people out there even thinking about voting for John McCain, a person representing a party that attacked the wrong country after being hit on 9/11. :doh: This election should be a landslide in favor of the dems!

A 45 minute talk, but only 5 minutes spent on Foreign Policy and National Security, the policy area's that the Presidency has the most impact on.

"America, we are better than these last eight years. We are a better country than this..."

He covered a whole lot of terrain with that...

A Democratic Congress AND White House will result in the same gridlock and ineptitude we've had for the past 8 years?

Exactly. The next president will have a difficult road ahead of him because of the disaster of the Bush administration. I have no illusions about Senator Obama. I simply believe he has the policy issues and the grip on reality, along with the rational thinking we need to begin to restore confidence in our country both here and overseas.

I cannot believe there are still people out there even thinking about voting for John McCain, a person representing a party that attacked the wrong country after being hit on 9/11. :doh: This election should be a landslide in favor of the dems!

You'd think. Just goes to show that a lot of people see major problems with Obama.

Afghanistan was the wrong country?

i am under no illusions of how difficult the next 4 years are going to be.

it has struck me that no matter who is elected, they may be a one-termer due to the mess we're in.

Well, we'll take a look objectively where the country is on January 20, 2009 both in terms of economics and foreign policy, comparing it to other periods in US history, and I doubt its going to look like the horror story that the Obama campaign would have everyone believe.

I don't usually go with my gut instinct. But in my gut and in my heart, I really think we just watched the next President. I would be delighted to be right in 3 months.

As much as I'd love for Obama to win, my intuition/gut says McCain will win and lately it rarely seems to be wrong but hopefully this is one of those times...

(but you'll be happy to know Anitram my gut doesn't think Harper will be re-elected! :hyper: )

It was refreshing to see 9/11 mentioned only once for a change. What's the over-under for McCain's mention of it next week?

That speech was awesome! The greatest thing I've ever heard in my life, I must say. I'm switching my support to Obama!

Obama Biden 08!!!! :hyper:

...just kidding

If you go back to 2001, you'll find that the United States invaded Afghanistan, and has continued consistently, year after year, to fight the insurgency there and rebuild that country, with US troop levels increasing nearly every year. The current occupation and nation building operation in Afghanistan is the most successful one in Afghanistan's history.

I am not defending the last 8 years by any means. I am just not under any assumption that the next 4 will be any better.

Then, by all means, vote for McCain and you'll have a self-fulfilling prophesy. A vote for McCain and the GOP is a vote for the status quo.

2861U2, your antagonistic approach is not constructive, and your intentional misunderstanding of the 'wrong country' sentence is not amusing.

I don't know why the four or five republicans here are here, to be honest. It can't be any fun going 5 on 30 in this place.

The current occupation and nation building operation in Afghanistan is the most successful one in Afghanistan's history.

Considering Afghanistan is a long-failed state, the bar for "success" isn't set very high.

Well, we'll take a look objectively where the country is on January 20, 2009 both in terms of economics and foreign policy, comparing it to other periods in US history, and I doubt its going to look like the horror story that the Obama campaign would have everyone believe.

i look forward to your analysis-free quoting of the UN HDI.

it always adds so much to the conversation. :up:

They were unsuccessful in capturing Bin Laden in Afghanistan, so they shifted their focus to Iraq! You know what I meant!

Zoots for President! :applaud:

You'd think. Just goes to show that a lot of people see major problems with Obama.

...or, that half of America doesn't have a clue. We've seen the same attitude in the past two elections, the same divisiveness. Speaking as a Canadian, it's fucking frightening that a fundamentally flawed right-wing agenda can reign supreme.

If you go back to 2001, you'll find that the United States invaded Afghanistan, and has continued consistently, year after year, to fight the insurgency there and rebuild that country, with US troop levels increasing nearly every year. The current occupation and nation building operation in Afghanistan is the most successful one in Afghanistan's history.

Pretty sure it wasn't just republicans who supported those invasions either...

and it remains inadequate to the task. :shrug:

sometimes in his speech, when he was going on and on and you couldn't stop him.. it was like watching a promo from The Rock.. hell, they even SOUND alike

I was keep waiting for him to say "and this is the promise of a promise!!"

anyway, it was fantastic, I don' t even live there, but I want him to be president... for the mere fact that he doesn't seem to be "one of them", the same old people running the business.

the only thing I'm not buying is that tax cut to 95% of people... it sound TOO illusional.

He had a dream... and look where we are now

That speech was awesome! The greatest thing I've ever heard in my life, I must say. I'm switching my support to Obama!

Obama Biden 08!!!! :hyper:

...just kidding

Are you trying to be funny? :scratch: Why not just avoid commenting on the DNC... since you clearly keep to the right, lol.

It is funny,
how we arrive at the same conclusions, in our own way.

McCain will absolutely be a one termer, promise or not.

After 12 years of GOP, how can the Dems not win.

Also, they should do pretty good with the Congress with a GOP President.

If Obama wins, with this major cluster f*ck of a world economy, run away deficit, trade imbalance, etc.
And all the promise of change. All the bad shit will be laid at his feet.

Even though he will not be responsible for it.
Also the GOP will get pick ups in the congress.
None of this is fair.

After 8 years of Nixon/ Ford, even with watergate. The Dems only got 4 years with Carter. The turndown in the economy was not Carters fault.

But 8 years Nixon to 4 years Carter, back to 12 years Reagan/ Bush 1

that is 20 years GOP to 4 years Dem

If Hillary lost to McCain in 2008

Obama would have easliy won 2012 and had 8 good years. :up:

If Hillary won, she would run in 2012 and lose.

Giving Obama a clean shot in 2016.

Back
Top Bottom