Democratic National Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The online version of the conservative magazine National Review ran an editorial called, "Obama's Thugs," which purports to delve into Obama's fundraisers

"Thugs," eh? Want to bet that they wouldn't have used that word had Obama not been black? Gotta love racial politics.

It is nice to hear Obama saying nice things about Bill Clinton and telling the truth about the Clinton Presidency.

Instead of praising Ronald Reagan.

nice flag pin :up:

I don't usually go with my gut instinct. But in my gut and in my heart, I really think we just watched the next President. I would be delighted to be right in 3 months.

He is 100 % spot on

on the TelePrompTer.

He is less good speaking off the cuff

Nobody seemed to mind that we've had a semi-literate president for the last eight years. I guess he was the kind of guy semi-literate voters wanted to have a beer with, not those uppity ivory-tower intellectuals like Obama. :up:

m8qelu.jpg

I wasn't saying it as a bad thing. The guy was really fluid so I was shocked that he had kind of memorized the whole thing. I was impressed, if anything.

my guess is that he wrote most of it

so if it is his own words, he is familiar with it and it is his natural speaking voice, style :shrug:

country music? why not
there could a few undecided good ol' boys watching.

We just watched an African American man get nominated for President of the United States 45 years to the day after "I Have A Dream", the most important speech in our country's history; the speech that began to change everything; the speech that spurred people to take action to make this night possible. I can honestly say, in this moment, I have never been so proud of my country. Barack Obama is the person who needs to be in the White House right now. If there is criticism of Obama's judgment, experience, charisma, fortitude, and intelligence now, it's nothing but political posturing from people afraid to move on from the status quo. He proved even more that he is ready to be Commander in Chief. This is one of the defining historical moments of my life, and I feel blessed to have experienced it as as it happened.

I watched this speech and as well executed as it was, I was left thinking 'Drink more Kool-Aid'. Sorry, it was just more of the same old politics that has been around for years. Lots of promises which will never be fulfilled. I don't see how this embodies 'Change' at all. I don't particularly care for either candidate, but the only thing I see different with a McCain candidacy is that he has promised to step down in 4 years.

I watched this speech and as well executed as it was, I was left thinking 'Drink more Kool-Aid'. Sorry, it was just more of the same old politics that has been around for years. Lots of promises which will never be fulfilled. I don't see how this embodies 'Change' at all.

I think you need to do more research on that. That was an amazing speech, with monumental changes mentioned and proposed on a number of fronts.

Nobody seemed to mind that we've had a semi-literate president for the last eight years.

have you missed my postings on that

and btw, W was always way better on TelePrompter, than off the cuff

McCain is poor on Teleprompter and seems to do better with his 'straight talk' style

I think Obama did and outstanding job tonight
and had a well crafted speech.

I also think the venue worked well

not "over the top".

My favorite moment was I think when he said something along the lines of no red America or blue America... the troops are fighting for the United States of America!

I don't usually go with my gut instinct. But in my gut and in my heart, I really think we just watched the next President. I would be delighted to be right in 3 months.

:up: He's a genius, no question. I thought his speech was incredible, not for the 'hit 'em out of the park' moments, but for its consistency...which, I'm guessing would be a hallmark of his presidency.

country music? why not
there could a few undecided good ol' boys watching.

That's a great point...there were good ol' boys watching. That was a great moment of symbolic inclusion.

A 45 minute talk, but only 5 minutes spent on Foreign Policy and National Security, the policy area's that the Presidency has the most impact on.

If there is criticism of Obama's judgment, experience, charisma, fortitude, and intelligence now, it's nothing but political posturing from people afraid to move on from the status quo. He proved even more that he is ready to be Commander in Chief. This is one of the defining historical moments of my life, and I feel blessed to have experienced it as as it happened.

All because of one speech? :facepalm:

You don't judge a person based on words but rather on their actions.

yes he did.

it could not have been better. it was an affirmation of fundamental, center-left values combining in a crowd that was male and female, young and old, black and white, asian and indian, eastern and western, southern and northern, straight and gay.

it did a brilliant job giving flesh to the spirit that's been around for 18 months, and reminded many of us why we were so excited by him in the first place.

there are no guarantees. next week is going to be quite a week.

but whether you agree with the policy, or not, i think everyone can understand this as a celebration of diversity, and as the fulfillment of the promise of America -- that a biracial son of an immigrant and single mother through hard work and a little bit of help can come from a childhood of food stamps to be the Democratic nominee for the presidency.

on a racial level, he is MLK's dream.

on an American level, he is someone we should all be proud to call our own.

even if we disagree with him. even if we will still vote for McCain.

Back
Top Bottom