Democratic National Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I assume the implication is that perhaps she intentionally avoided specifying which universities both because an Ivy League education is realistically beyond the reach of most of her audience, and because the 'Washington elite' (both parties) is famously packed with Ivy League grads. :shrug: Whatever.

It could be that, it could also be she felt the speech just worked better without the details of names, dates and such. I could understand that.

The omission is only interesting because this was generally viewed as her "connect with America" or "makeover" speech.

And wait until Hillary's speech tonight. You think it won't be combed through looking for subtext? Is she onboard 100% or is she holding back? Is she bitter?

I'm sure it will make for an amusing contrast to see how Matthews et al. spin Biden's having turned on the waterworks this morning.

Not that I'll be watching...

I'm sure it will make for an amusing contrast to see how Matthews et al. spin Biden's having turned on the waterworks this morning.

Not that I'll be watching...

I have the Dem convention on TIVO
on MSNBC

and jeez, Mathews and Oberman were a couple of blathering idiots, last night.

Tonight I will have to switch to CNN or ???

It could be that, it could also be she felt the speech just worked better without the details of names, dates and such. I could understand that.

so this isn't directly related to her not mentioning her stellar academic resume, but i think it might get to the heart of what i, and others, are talking about when we talk about race being an obstacle for the Obamas. the Obamas, of all people, who exemplify everything we could ever hope for in America. we have the biracial son of an immigrant who grew up in Hawaii and on food stamps who got scholarships that got him through Punahou, Columbia, and Harvard. we have the working class descendant of slaves who graduated from Princeton and Harvard. both have high powered degrees, both are community activists, they live what is by all accounts a strong, healthy marriage that's produced two daughters who seem bright, engaged, articulate, and headed for wonderful things.

really, what could make America feel better about itself than the family history of the Obamas?

this is where race comes into play.

setting aside the dynamics of their conservative lifestyle, i do think there's the overriding sense amongst many white Americans who would never describe themselves as racist, or who would decry over racism, but nonetheless look at the Obamas and all their success and still silently think to themselves, "they didn't really earn it."

they were given hand outs and hand ups and they're the beneficiaries of affirmative action and were hired to improve the cosmetics of whatever organization that hired them. that they can't possibly be that competent, or at least not as competent as white people of similar standing. it's not that these white people hate black people, or even so much that they resent blacks who've attained great success. it's that they are suspicious of that success. that he's the scion not of Prescott Bush or two 4-star Admirals, but of white guilt and liberalism and Affirmative Action. this is why charges of being too smooth, too much flash, too little substance, too little experience, etc., always have a bit of a racist tinge, at least in my eyes.

so perhaps that's why Michelle didn't get to specific on her resume. it brings up the specter of hated Affirmative Action in the minds of some white voters. she chose to be human, and, imho a bit sadly, cast herself as a sister, wife, and mother. but this was about her building bridges with whites resentful of black success, and even women resentful at what might be perceived to be advances (or simple preferential treatment) when it comes to race but not so in the case of gender. i am willing to agree that gender is a more complex thing than race, but i think race and resentment still pulses in the heart of hearts of many PUMAs and many "uneasy" whites.

you know, like when men get nervous when they hear a female voice saying, "this is your captain speaking ..."

on MSNBC

we watched it on PBS. i'll take Jim Lehrer and Gwen Ifill any day.

Just saw a quick overview of Obama sayin hi to his family. I like him. I also liked his speech in Berlin. This man may have the power to change, say, adjust politics a little. Also saw McCain joking on Leno but Obama is just far more impressive with his vision. Also think he did good by choosing this Vice guy, here say they it´s to show the American public that someone in the government will have experience with overseas politics but I personally think Obama has enough experience. Europe also likes him and that ain´t a bad thing with those critical weirdos over there. and the way the man talks is good. lets see if the American voters authorize him to act too. If I had to vote I would give him the chance.

on MSNBC

Why would you ever want to switch off the unintentional comedy that is MSNBC? In case anyone missed it, the Huffpo link below has a youtube clip of Olbermann in an open mic moment and Joe Scarborough's response. Also a clip there of Scarborough snapping on his own program this morning at Hardball/Countdown correspondent David Schuster (I).

Joe Scarborough Vs. Keith Olbermann, Chris Matthews On McCain's Gains In The Polls

Why would you ever want to switch off the unintentional comedy that is MSNBC? In case anyone missed it, the Huffpo link below has a youtube clip of Olbermann in an open mic moment and Joe Scarborough's response. Also a clip there of Scarborough snapping on his own program this morning at Hardball/Countdown correspondent David Schuster (I).

Joe Scarborough Vs. Keith Olbermann, Chris Matthews On McCain's Gains In The Polls

Yeah, I saw that earlier on Olbermannwatch. I wish I had words for how much I dislike Olbermann and for how much of an idiot he is. It's indescribable.

I am not American, and so perhaps it is not my place to say it but this:-

this is why charges of being too smooth, too much flash, too little substance, too little experience, etc., always have a bit of a racist tinge, at least in my eyes.

...strikes me as at best simplistic, at worst an advocation to censor out pretty much any critique of Obama's experience.

It is a simple fact that Obama is less experienced than most recent US Presidential candidates. I personally STILL think he is a better candidate than McCain - but let's get real here, his political experience is really quite limited.

You could always watch it on NBC with Brian Williams :cute:

:shifty:

Ahem. Anyway, I wonder how many average Janes and Joes unlike the political junkies here in FYM are watching this convention, and will be watching the Republican convention. I honestly hope large numbers are watching both, at least trying to be engaged.

Kucinich, great speech.

Nails it.

Nails the neo-con scum, the war profiteer scum and the war contractor scum for the evil SCUM that they are. The only one currently in the Dems that will talk truth to corrupt power.

Doubtless, this speech will be regularly replayed on yer CNN and yer Fox.

Back
Top Bottom