Democratic National Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the roll call. The nominating speeches... the floor demonstrations... the windbags going on and on... Madam Secretary... the tally.

But whatever happened to the gavel pounding at these things.

And when does Nancy Pelosi blink?

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's big speech on Thursday night will be delivered from an elaborate columned stage resembling a miniature Greek temple.

The Rocky Mountains transformed into Mount Olympus. Obama from African-American to Aphrodite.

--Expect a new John McCain ad by Monday.

Bill did a decent job.

But they played a butchered version of Beautiful Day as he was leaving the podium. :yikes:

I :heart: Bill Clinton, and I always will. He is a brilliant speaker and is one of our best presidents. I think his speech was just as fantastic as Hillary's last night. One of the things I noticed about his speech tonight was the way he set it up as a case to be argued for Obama. Obviously, that's the lawyer in him. He hit at McCain and the Republican party exactly the way he needed to. The comparisons he drew between himself and Obama were excellent too; especially the one about how the Republicans tried to paint him as young and inexperienced in 1992. For those undecided Democrats and/or Hillary supporters this should really make them think about the choice they make this election. I've heard many use the inexperience ridiculousness against Obama, yet they forget that many people had the same problem with Clinton when he was running for his first term. As President Clinton pointed out, Obama is rational, has good judgement, instinct, insight and understands the problems we face at home and around the world. I thought his praise of Joe Biden was important as well in order to show how with Obama's fresh perspective and Biden's experience will lead to a successful administration. I'm looking forward to hearing from Biden himself in a little while.

I as angry as I am with Bill Clinton for his recent campaign tactics and for his actions as president in propagandizing the supposed threat from Saddam Hussein to look tough and bombing innocent people recklessly to avoid US casualties and enabling Saddam Hussein to kick out UN inspectors because Clinton had the CIA infiltrate the inspection team, violating the UN agreement (according to Scott Ritter), and despite all his attacks on the poor (welfare reform, 3 strikes and you're out, etc) and in favor of corporate interests, and letting down the people of Russia to help their government transition smoothly, so we wouldn't have people desperately rallying to a strong man like Putin....

The teenage me really got a kick out of a great endorsement speech. Well done!

I :heart: Bill Clinton, and I always will. He is a brilliant speaker and is one of our best presidents. I think his speech was just as fantastic as Hillary's last night.

The comparisons he drew between himself and Obama were excellent too; especially the one about how the Republicans tried to paint him as young and inexperienced in 1992. For those undecided Democrats and/or Hillary supporters this should really make them think about the choice they make this election

:up::up:

John Kerry is doing a good job too...:applaud:

I can't listen to John Kerry speak without falling asleep.:reject: As they said on SNL back in '04', he's the political equivalent of Nyquil.:lol: I desperately wish he would've won the election though. God knows we'd be WAY better off than we are under a second term of Bush.

I'm just going to say one thing, and everyone can ignore it, etc....

I'm for Obama, and am very proud that he and Hillary were the two leading Democratic candidates. It's encouraging.

That being said, I think it might be a little disingenuous to suggest that it is ridiculous for people to have concerns about Obama's experience. Again, I'll be voting for the man, and his experience, or lack thereof, does not keep me from deeply believing that he's our best possible choice right now, for so many different reasons. However, there are 22 year old college grads that get turned down for low level white collar jobs due to lack of experience, and, it's sometimes the right call. So, I mean, if some 25 year old Manager of Consumer Marketing can reject someone for an even more menial marketing gig because the candidate lacks experience, then I think it's fair if someone, anyone, is concerned (and I mean legitimately concerned as a voter, not concerned because they're blind to their conservative cause), about someone stepping into the role of POTUS while lacking what they deem to be the appropriate amount of experience for the job.

So, yeah, I'll be overlooking such a flaw, if flaw it really is, but, I find it hard to casually dismiss such concerns, especially when I hear them from the mouths of objective friends/coworkers/acquaintances/pundits, many of whom are much smarter and much more knowledgeable than I am.

I'm just going to say one thing, and everyone can ignore it, etc....

I'm for Obama, and am very proud that he and Hillary were the two leading Democratic candidates. It's encouraging.

That being said, I think it might be a little disingenuous to suggest that it is ridiculous for people to have concerns about Obama's experience. Again, I'll be voting for the man, and his experience, or lack thereof, does not keep me from deeply believing that he's our best possible choice right now, for so many different reasons. However, there are 22 year old college grads that get turned down for low level white collar jobs due to lack of experience, and, it's sometimes the right call. So, I mean, if some 25 year old Manager of Consumer Marketing can reject someone for an even more menial marketing gig because the candidate lacks experience, then I think it's fair if someone, anyone, is concerned (and I mean legitimately concerned as a voter, not concerned because they're blind to their conservative cause), about someone stepping into the role of POTUS while lacking what they deem to be the appropriate amount of experience for the job.

So, yeah, I'll be overlooking such a flaw, if flaw it really is, but, I find it hard to casually dismiss such concerns, especially when I hear them from the mouths of objective friends/coworkers/acquaintances/pundits, many of whom are much smarter and much more knowledgeable than I am.

I don't think your post should be ignored

but I am afraid many people will want to ignore it

his lack of experience is a flaw, Bill Clinton gave him as much help as he could when he said people said he was too young and inexperienced in 1992.

Bill Clinton had a ready answer to that criticism, he told them that he had been a Governor for 10 years
and before that Arkansas Attorney General.
So Bill Clinton was young, but not inexperienced. The criticism did not stick, like it does with Obama.

^Obama has a been a U.S. senator for 4 years and was an Illinois state senator for 7 years prior. He has roughly the same amount of experience in government that Clinton had when he ran in '92'. President Clinton spent time as a law professor after graduating from college, as did Obama. They have/had very similar career experiences when it all comes down to it.

Since when has "experience" been a substitute for good judgment and character? We've had any number of highly "experienced" CEOs running America's corporations, and that still hasn't stopped any number of them from being run like a personal piggy bank into bankruptcy.

And, I'm sorry, the results of the current Bush's presidency could have been seen a mile away back in 2000, "experience" or otherwise. Does anyone here really think that McCain and the Republican Party have made some magical transformation that can distance themselves from the corruption and ineptitude of their recent past and present? Let's face it, folks. A vote for McCain is an endorsement of the status quo, and I don't think the present is all that great.

^Obama has a been a U.S. senator for 4 years and was an Illinois state senator for 7 years prior. He has roughly the same amount of experience in government that Clinton had when he ran in '92'.

With all due respect, that's just a mathematical exercise.

Many would regard Clinton's executive experience as a Governor - granted, of a fairly small state - as deeper experience than Obama's as a legislator.

Since when has "experience" been a substitute for good judgment and character? We've had any number of highly "experienced" CEOs running America's corporations, and that still hasn't stopped any number of them from being run like a personal piggy bank into bankruptcy.

And, I'm sorry, the results of the current Bush's presidency could have been seen a mile away back in 2000, "experience" or otherwise. Does anyone here really think that McCain and the Republican Party have made some magical transformation that can distance themselves from the corruption and ineptitude of their recent past and present? Let's face it, folks. A vote for McCain is an endorsement of the status quo, and I don't think the present is all that great.

I think that we ought to demand character, good judgement and experience for this particular job, but you can rarely have it all, I suppose.

To reiterate, I am enthusiastically supporting and voting for Obama, I just think that to claim that legitimate concerns about Obama's experience are ridiculous is, well, ridiculous.

With all due respect, that's just a mathematical exercise.

Many would regard Clinton's executive experience as a Governor - granted, of a fairly small state - as deeper experience than Obama's as a legislator.

Yes, executive experience as a very successful Governor in a southern State for 10 years is different than being a member of a state legislator voting present.

Damned, I fell asleep and missed Bill Clinton's speech.
I forgot how well Joe Biden spoke :yes: (or maybe it's just the contrast with John Kerry :lol: )
(although I hope it won't be as long-winded as he can be at times)

I've never seen so many politicians eager to stress their Scranton roots as in this election cycle.:ohmy:

Joe Biden gave a great speech. He is, as Irvine said awhile back, a shit kicker. He isn't afraid to get tough and say what needs to be said. I also noticed that he's humble and really will be able to connect with the average American. I thought his mention of China and India's rise in the global economy was an important issue that hasn't been addressed yet. I also was very pleased that he mentioned that the real central front in the war on terror needs to be Afghanistan and Pakistan, and also that he made it clear where he and Senator Obama stand on the Russia/Georgia crisis. I'm glad he made it clear that Obama won't back down from using diplomacy with Iran. Anyone who would even consider military action, *coughBombBombBombIrancough*, clearly does not understand the ramifications of launching another invasion in an unstable Middle East that is very angry at the U.S. for the disaster of a war we already created there. We need Barack Obama and Joe Biden in the White House, or we're going to continue to spiral downward faster than we can imagine.

I've never seen so many politicians eager to stress their Scranton roots as in this election cycle.:ohmy:

"Sittin’ in my office with a plate of grilled bacon,
Call my man Dwight just to see what was shakin’

Yo Mike, our town is dope and pretty
So check out how we live in the Electric City!

They call it Scranton
What?
The Electric City
Scranton
What?
The Electric City

Lazy Scranton the Electric City
They call it that ’cause of the electricity

The city’s laid out from east to west
And our public parks and libraries are truly the best

Call poison control if you’re bit by a spider
But check that it’s covered by your health care provider!

Are you hungry? Well quit your whining
The new downtown has five-star dining

You lack coal mines and you wanna see ‘em,
Well, check it out, yo, the Anthracite Museum!

The dope thing to do, that’s several and counting
The illest place to go is Montage Mountain

Plenty of space in the parking lot,
But the little cars go in the compact spot
Spot, spot, spot, spot …

Snack attack time, don’t lose your head
We like Cugino’s for the tasty bread

They call it Scranton
What?
The Electric City
Scranton
What?
The Electric City
Scranton
What?
The Electric City
Scranton
What?
The Electric City
"

Joe Biden gave a great speech. He is, as Irvine said awhile back, a shit kicker. He isn't afraid to get tough and say what needs to be said. I also noticed that he's humble and really will be able to connect with the average American. I thought his mention of China and India's rise in the global economy was an important issue that hasn't been addressed yet. I also was very pleased that he mentioned that the real central front in the war on terror needs to be Afghanistan and Pakistan, and also that he made it clear where he and Senator Obama stand on the Russia/Georgia crisis. I'm glad he made it clear that Obama won't back down from using diplomacy with Iran. Anyone who would even consider military action, *coughBombBombBombIrancough*, clearly does not understand the ramifications of launching another invasion in an unstable Middle East that is very angry at the U.S. for the disaster of a war we already created there. We need Barack Obama and Joe Biden in the White House, or we're going to continue to spiral downward faster than we can imagine.

Can someone tell me why Democrats are supposedly pleased with Biden's foreign policy experience? He voted for the Iraq War, and Obama has been continuously talking about how it never should have been authorized or waged. He held that over Hillary's head all through the primaries, yet how can he picks someone with, by his own words, such bad judgment as his running mate? I don't get it.

We need Barack Obama and Joe Biden in the White House, or we're going to continue to spiral downward faster than we can imagine.

I feel exactly the opposite. I fear for the country should these two get elected.

I'm glad he made it clear that Obama won't back down from using diplomacy with Iran. Anyone who would even consider military action, *coughBombBombBombIrancough*, clearly does not understand the ramifications of launching another invasion in an unstable Middle East that is very angry at the U.S. for the disaster of a war we already created there..

Well, Barack Obama has not officially ruled out the use of military force against Iran.

"People around the world have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."

brilliant formulation, and goes to the root of what distinguishes democrats from republicans, ties together foreign and domestic policy. the world needs us to be as good as the Republicans want to say we are. fuck exceptionalism. fuck empty nationalism. fuck blind patriotism. this line gets to the heart of why Republicanism has been eviscerated the past 8 years to reveal the empty, greedy, black heart that beats at it's core. it's about me, me, me, and how awesome am i, and what big bombs we have, and what power we can toss around, and who the fuck is out there and wants to fuck with us because goddamnit i got a great big bomb.

this is why torture is wrong. this is why we have to stand up to those who've shredded the constitution and turned the presidency into an elected monarchy. this is why we -- and by "we" i, by extension, mean the West, our friends in the UK, Australia, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, NZ, Japan, and so many others -- actually *are* better than those who'd rejoice at the thought of 3,000 of us burning to death in a building in New York on a beautiful morning in September. this is why our way of life is worth fighting for, why it is worth exporting, and why it just might be the answer to war. but we don't prove we're better with bombs. we don't bomb people into freedom. we don't occupy people into freedom. we do just the opposite. and that is why, for all our flaws, i am proud of my country, and why i feel such a connection with our overseas compatriots who often lead this dream better than we do.

verbal gold. well played, Bubba. :up:

was that not the best speech of Kerry's career?

Biden did what he needed to do. it was well done.

a good night, all around.

(too much wine? i don't care.)

Can someone tell me why Democrats are supposedly pleased with Biden's foreign policy experience? He voted for the Iraq War, and Obama has been continuously talking about how it never should have been authorized or waged. He held that over Hillary's head all through the primaries, yet how can he picks someone with, by his own words, such bad judgment as his running mate? I don't get it.

I feel exactly the opposite. I fear for the country should these two get elected.

In addition, lets not forget that when Saddam marched into Kuwait in August of 1990, Joe Biden voted against the use of military force to remove Saddam's military from Kuwait. Even the French supported military action and sent a light infantry division to support the military operation to remove Saddam from Kuwait. Biden voted the same way that Yemen and Cuba did in the UN Security Council, against the use of military force to remove Saddam from Kuwait.

Well, for starters, I'm disappointed he originally supported the Iraq war. Most of Congress did at that point, and I'm not holding it against any of them, Republican or Democrat. They were given faulty evidence by the CIA and were put under a great deal of pressure to either support the war or seem unAmerican. It doesn't excuse this mistake, but it's something that I can live with, especially when he's now clear about this mistake. He is Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations committee, and as such are very well-versed in the politics and current events of countries all over the world. Here's an article with a little more background.
Biden Brings Long Foreign Policy Experience to Obama's Presidential Bid - US News and World Report

Well, Barack Obama has not officially ruled out the use of military force against Iran.

I didn't say that. However, he has made clear he would try diplomatic efforts first and use military force only as a last resort. Anyone, anyone who would ever do anything otherwise is an idiot at best and a complete monster at worst.

Back
Top Bottom