Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:44 AM
Their little girls are so cute.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

I love her, I think she is 100% the real deal.

Michelle Obama's Democratic Convention Speech

Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
You could be right
he knows how to win elections.

Hillary Rodham Clinton began her campaign as the single best advantaged politician of either party. she was the most recognizable member of a party who had stunningly reclaimed the house and broke even in the Senate in 2006 after being out of power for 12 years. she won her re-election in New York impressively. she was the wife of a former president who's popularity and estimation has grown considerably since he left office, especially in comparison to the Bush administration. the two of them were widely regarded as the best political strategists the Democrats have had in the past 30 years, if not even more. she had the entire apparatus of the Democratic Party at her fingertips. Terry McAuliff had designed the entire nomination process around her candidacy. he stacked states close together so there would be a Super Duper Tuesday which would greatly advantage the *only* Democratic candidate who was already a nationally known quantity. everyone else in the race was running to either make a point, position themselves for the future, or position themselves to be a VP candidate.

and. she. LOST.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I love her, I think she is 100% the real deal.

Michelle Obama's Democratic Convention Speech

me too...

I am gonna listen to her speech when I get home from work. I missed it last nite..
Old 08-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
tall black women go to Princeton and Harvard and make successes out of their lives.
Which, interestingly, she failed to mention last night.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:34 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

She did?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

this is why it was such a home run of a speech:

YouTube - Juan Williams on Michelle Obama's speech

and, yes, it's from Fox.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:39 AM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Which, interestingly, she failed to mention last night.

i'm going to sit back and ask you to explain just what you're talking about here.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Oops, I guess she said her marriage and family are part of her success too-how novel. And maybe she didn't specifically mention Princeton and Harvard by name-guess that was some sort of "strategy".
Old 08-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Well, she couldn't mention those because that would be elitist of her, to have gone to these schools on scholarship and massive student loans. It's where she and Barack were first introduced to arugula.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
It's where she and Barack were first introduced to arugula.

I saw the apartment he lived in when he went to Harvard, on the local news. It was a real elitist dump.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Well, she couldn't mention those because that would be elitist of her, to have gone to these schools on scholarship and massive student loans. It's where she and Barack were first introduced to arugula.
And lattes. Don't forget those commie, pinko, hippie, lattes. After all, there is nothing more un-American than a person coming from poverty and working hard to to beat the odds, in order to become a success. M I RITE guyz?!?!?!!??!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:06 AM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

more money from Michelle:

Quote:
I stand here today at the crosscurrents of that history – knowing that my piece of the American Dream is a blessing hard won by those who came before me. All of them driven by the same conviction that drove my dad to get up an hour early each day to painstakingly dress himself for work. The same conviction that drives the men and women I’ve met all across this country:

People who work the day shift, kiss their kids goodnight, and head out for the night shift – without disappointment, without regret – that goodnight kiss a reminder of everything they’re working for.

The military families who say grace each night with an empty seat at the table. The servicemen and women who love this country so much, they leave those they love most to defend it.

The young people across America serving our communities – teaching children, cleaning up neighborhoods, caring for the least among us each and every day.

People like Hillary Clinton, who put those 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling, so that our daughters – and sons – can dream a little bigger and aim a little higher.

People like Joe Biden, who’s never forgotten where he came from, and never stopped fighting for folks who work long hours and face long odds and need someone on their side again.

All of us driven by a simple belief that the world as it is just won’t do – that we have an obligation to fight for the world as it should be.

That is the thread that connects our hearts. That is the thread that runs through my journey and Barack’s journey and so many other improbable journeys that have brought us here tonight, where the current of history meets this new tide of hope.

That is why I love this country.

and that is why the speech was so masterful. it so effectively wove together several different narratives and ideas into a single, cohesive whole -- the American experience is the attempt to take life as it is and make it into what it should be.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:
And as I tuck that little girl and her little sister into bed at night, I think about how one day, they'll have families of their own. And one day, they - and your sons and daughters - will tell their own children about what we did together in this election. They'll tell them how this time, we listened to our hopes, instead of our fears. How this time, we decided to stop doubting and to start dreaming. How this time, in this great country - where a girl from the South Side of Chicago can go to college and law school, and the son of a single mother from Hawaii can go all the way to the White House - we committed ourselves to building the world as it should be.
I'm not being critical of her speech, just making an observation.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Somebody once asked me why I identified more with the Obamas than with Hillary, since I am a woman of strong conviction and I would like to see women rise to all positions currently held by men. We are not there yet. But ultimately, as a poor immigrant kid who had nothing but the clothes on her back, I see my story in the Obama story too, and I appreciate their hard work and their rise to the top from nothing. This is the American dream, and it's shameful that they've been painted with the elitism brush. The Republicans should be ashamed of it. I can absolutely tell you that there is a segment of the population that doesn't want these pesky minorities, be they immigrants, gays and lesbians, black, brown, etc to really get to the top of the mountain. And I think a lot of that is showing itself here.