Democratic National Convention Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could be right
he knows how to win elections.

Hillary Rodham Clinton began her campaign as the single best advantaged politician of either party. she was the most recognizable member of a party who had stunningly reclaimed the house and broke even in the Senate in 2006 after being out of power for 12 years. she won her re-election in New York impressively. she was the wife of a former president who's popularity and estimation has grown considerably since he left office, especially in comparison to the Bush administration. the two of them were widely regarded as the best political strategists the Democrats have had in the past 30 years, if not even more. she had the entire apparatus of the Democratic Party at her fingertips. Terry McAuliff had designed the entire nomination process around her candidacy. he stacked states close together so there would be a Super Duper Tuesday which would greatly advantage the *only* Democratic candidate who was already a nationally known quantity. everyone else in the race was running to either make a point, position themselves for the future, or position themselves to be a VP candidate.

and. she. LOST.

Oops, I guess she said her marriage and family are part of her success too-how novel. And maybe she didn't specifically mention Princeton and Harvard by name-guess that was some sort of "strategy".

Well, she couldn't mention those because that would be elitist of her, to have gone to these schools on scholarship and massive student loans. It's where she and Barack were first introduced to arugula.

Well, she couldn't mention those because that would be elitist of her, to have gone to these schools on scholarship and massive student loans. It's where she and Barack were first introduced to arugula.

And lattes. Don't forget those commie, pinko, hippie, lattes.:up: After all, there is nothing more un-American than a person coming from poverty and working hard to to beat the odds, in order to become a success. M I RITE guyz?!?!?!!??!:happy::|

more money from Michelle:

I stand here today at the crosscurrents of that history – knowing that my piece of the American Dream is a blessing hard won by those who came before me. All of them driven by the same conviction that drove my dad to get up an hour early each day to painstakingly dress himself for work. The same conviction that drives the men and women I’ve met all across this country:

People who work the day shift, kiss their kids goodnight, and head out for the night shift – without disappointment, without regret – that goodnight kiss a reminder of everything they’re working for.

The military families who say grace each night with an empty seat at the table. The servicemen and women who love this country so much, they leave those they love most to defend it.

The young people across America serving our communities – teaching children, cleaning up neighborhoods, caring for the least among us each and every day.

People like Hillary Clinton, who put those 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling, so that our daughters – and sons – can dream a little bigger and aim a little higher.

People like Joe Biden, who’s never forgotten where he came from, and never stopped fighting for folks who work long hours and face long odds and need someone on their side again.

All of us driven by a simple belief that the world as it is just won’t do – that we have an obligation to fight for the world as it should be.

That is the thread that connects our hearts. That is the thread that runs through my journey and Barack’s journey and so many other improbable journeys that have brought us here tonight, where the current of history meets this new tide of hope.

That is why I love this country.

and that is why the speech was so masterful. it so effectively wove together several different narratives and ideas into a single, cohesive whole -- the American experience is the attempt to take life as it is and make it into what it should be.

And as I tuck that little girl and her little sister into bed at night, I think about how one day, they'll have families of their own. And one day, they - and your sons and daughters - will tell their own children about what we did together in this election. They'll tell them how this time, we listened to our hopes, instead of our fears. How this time, we decided to stop doubting and to start dreaming. How this time, in this great country - where a girl from the South Side of Chicago can go to college and law school, and the son of a single mother from Hawaii can go all the way to the White House - we committed ourselves to building the world as it should be.

I'm not being critical of her speech, just making an observation.

Somebody once asked me why I identified more with the Obamas than with Hillary, since I am a woman of strong conviction and I would like to see women rise to all positions currently held by men. We are not there yet. But ultimately, as a poor immigrant kid who had nothing but the clothes on her back, I see my story in the Obama story too, and I appreciate their hard work and their rise to the top from nothing. This is the American dream, and it's shameful that they've been painted with the elitism brush. The Republicans should be ashamed of it. I can absolutely tell you that there is a segment of the population that doesn't want these pesky minorities, be they immigrants, gays and lesbians, black, brown, etc to really get to the top of the mountain. And I think a lot of that is showing itself here.

Michelle's speech was absolutely amazing. She's an inspiration. She's brilliant, has a successful career, and puts her husband and children first. I agree with Laura; that was definitely the best speech I've heard a political spouse give. It's a shame she's being treated similarly to the way Hillary was during the '92' campaign. Just because they're both women who are their husbands' equals in terms of career success and they refuse to simply stand in the background like delicate little flowers, (while beaming at their knight-in-shining-armor :cute: ), they're considered a liability to their spouses. It's truly embarrassing in a country that prides itself on equality for all. On another note, the other highlight for me was Ted Kennedy. He looked great, and it's good to see the Liberal Lion still has his roar, so to speak. He's made his share of serious mistakes, but he's also worked his whole life to help the average American. I personally think the first night of the convention was exactly the way it needed to be.

He's not even at the convention yet and he's messing up...

Obama from a home in Kansas City: I'm 'here in St. Louis'

DENVER — Last week, Republican John McCain didn't know how many homes he owns.

Tonight, Democrat Barack Obama didn't know what town he was in.

In a live satellite speech tonight to the Democratic National Convention in Denver from a home in Kansas City, Obama said: "I'm here with the Girardo family here in St. Louis."

Then came a graphic across the television screen that said Obama was in Kansas City, Mo.

Then 7-year-old Sasha Obama asked: "Daddy, what city are you in?"

"I'm in Kansas City, sweetie," Obama said, correcting his earlier geographic reference.

:lol:

Obama, Clinton camps working on hotel roll-call vote

Obama, Clinton camps working on hotel roll-call vote - The Denver Post

Supporters of Hillary Rodham Clinton furiously circulated petitions on the floor of the Democratic National Convention last night, hoping to stave off a plan to hold the convention's roll call at breakfast Wednesday — out of the public eye — sources inside the delegations said.

The move being worked out between the Obama campaign and officials behind Clinton's suspended bid, would work in two parts: Delegates would cast votes at their hotels Wednesday morning; that night, at the Pepsi Center convention site, the roll-call process would rely on the votes cast that morning, the delegates said.

Colorado Rep. Diana DeGette, a former state co-chair for Clinton said she knows the camps are in negotiations about what to do.

"My view is we need to come together as a party," DeGette said. "I admire Hillary Clinton greatly, but I think it would be divisive to have a vote on the floor. We need to have a unanimous vote."

The evening event would call on the delegation from Illinois, which Obama serves as the junior senator, and then move to New York, which Clinton represents.

After New York delegates applaud Clinton's long-fought and historic candidacy, a motion would be made to accept the votes cast at breakfast.

The move is being resisted by some Clinton delegates, who are busy tonight circulating a petition among delegates as the opening night of the convention, titled "One Nation," gets underway.

"We just want a roll call like you're supposed to have," said one of the delegates collecting signatures for the petition, who asked not to be named because of concern about friction within the party.

The Obama campaign denied that there would be a change.

"This is not true," Jennifer Backus, a senior advisor, said in an email in response to a question about the negotiations for the roll call change.

David Harper of Macon County, Tenn., signed a petition to ensure a floor vote in the hall surrounding the Pepsi Center.

"I came out here by God to vote for her, and I'm going to do it," Harper said, visibly angry about the news.

Kelly Jacobs a die-hard Clinton supporter from Hernando, Miss., an area that went heavily for Clinton, stood in the hall collecting signatures. She said the Clinton backers need 800 to secure a floor vote.

Anything less than that, Jacobs said, would be an insult to her candidate.

"I could have voted from home," Jacobs said. "She is our captain. We don't want to see her disrespected."

She was furious, she said, when she learned this morning that the votes may be held at the delegate hotels instead of on the convention hall floor.

"That's not what we learned in civics class," Jacobs said.

Texas delegate Tory Lauterbach said she has heard about the petition, but is unsure if she will sign it.

"I think the votes should be cast and counted the way they have been historically," she said. "But I don't think every delegate needs to stand and say something. I want a good convention."

So does Sally Phillips of Tampa, Fla. She said that although she is a Clinton supporter, she will undoubtedly support Obama because she doesn't want another Republican in the White House.

"I think the world of her," Phillips said. "I've seen the petition but I'm not going to focus on that."

The discussions come after a long summer in which Clinton delegates have argued for a chance to be heard during the convention. The party wants unity, and the announcement made by Obama and Clinton last week that a floor vote would occur was meant to provide that opportunity.

Denver Post Staff Writer Jessica Fender contributed to this report.

In a live satellite speech tonight to the Democratic National Convention in Denver from a home in Kansas City, Obama said: "I'm here with the Girardo family here in St. Louis."

Then came a graphic across the television screen that said Obama was in Kansas City, Mo.

"I'm in Kansas City, sweetie," Obama said, correcting his earlier geographic reference.

You haven't traveled much have you? Believe me if you ever travel to several cities in a couple weeks time, sometimes more than one in a day, you'll be a little confused as well. This is nothing like not knowing how many homes you own. Nothing.

Obama is doing damn well if these are the kinds of "gaffes" you feel the need to highlight.

I'm not being critical of her speech, just making an observation.

And what observation is that? That setting a goal of going to college and law school is elitist? That people from poor areas shouldn't dream big and work towards their goals?

Honestly, explain your observation.

I assume the implication is that perhaps she intentionally avoided specifying which universities both because an Ivy League education is realistically beyond the reach of most of her audience, and because the 'Washington elite' (both parties) is famously packed with Ivy League grads. :shrug: Whatever.

You haven't traveled much have you?

not as much as Obama

he has been to 57 states

"It is wonderful to be back in Oregon," Obama said. "Over the last 15 months, we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go. Alaska and Hawaii, I was not allowed to go to even though I really wanted to visit, but my staff would not justify it."

I assume the implication is that perhaps she intentionally avoided specifying which universities both because an Ivy League education is realistically beyond the reach of most of her audience, and because the 'Washington elite' (both parties) is famously packed with Ivy League grads. :shrug: Whatever.

Because maybe the Republicans have made her success into something dirty. Going to an Ivy League school on scholarships is elitist and should be spit upon by the stupid proletariat.

"I'm in Kansas City, sweetie,"

First Edwards,

Now we have Obama not telling the truth to his 7-year old daughter on National T. V. :no:

Indeed. If you're going to get into an Ivy League school, it damn well better be through family connections. That's the only way Joe Blue Collar could relate to it.

Because maybe the Republicans have made her success into something dirty. Going to an Ivy League school on scholarships is elitist and should be spit upon by the stupid proletariat.

isn't this a bit of a stretch ?

we have W having gone to Harvard on a legacy

and McCain went to Annapolis, via a similar situation?

Tee-hee. You're funny. :giggle:
I will say I watched Michel's speech, twice.

and was very impressed.

I also was impressed with her big brother.

I thought Michelle came across as sincere, believable, and a generally nice person.

When Obama came on the jumbotron, I thought it was a nice touch.

His daughters are adorable.

But then he said Michelle was unbelievable ! :huh:

That just made me feel very sad. :no:

Back
Top Bottom