Old 08-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #256
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
"Sittin’ in my office with a plate of grilled bacon,
Call my man Dwight just to see what was shakin’

Yo Mike, our town is dope and pretty
So check out how we live in the Electric City!

They call it Scranton
What?
The Electric City
Scranton
What?
The Electric City

Lazy Scranton the Electric City
They call it that ’cause of the electricity

The city’s laid out from east to west
And our public parks and libraries are truly the best

Call poison control if you’re bit by a spider
But check that it’s covered by your health care provider!

Are you hungry? Well quit your whining
The new downtown has five-star dining

You lack coal mines and you wanna see ‘em,
Well, check it out, yo, the Anthracite Museum!

The dope thing to do, that’s several and counting
The illest place to go is Montage Mountain

Plenty of space in the parking lot,
But the little cars go in the compact spot
Spot, spot, spot, spot …

Snack attack time, don’t lose your head
We like Cugino’s for the tasty bread

They call it Scranton
What?
The Electric City
Scranton
What?
The Electric City
Scranton
What?
The Electric City
Scranton
What?
The Electric City
"
^ That just was begging to be quoted again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I can't wait for Obama's speech tonight. My only question is: I understand how they will simulate the sound of thunder, but how do you think they're going to get that dove to land on his shoulder?
Oh, they've had the logistics to pull that off under wraps for months.

I hope we make it home tonight in time for his speech. If not, this will be one I can bet I'll be searching for video on tomorrow.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #257
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Link

Quote:
Amid a spate of awkward on-air conflicts among MNSBC anchors at this week’s Democratic convention, some staff members say there are sharp internal disputes at the cable network over whether its opinion and personality-driven political coverage has crossed the line.

“The situation at our channel is about to blow up,” a high-ranking MSNBC journalist told Politico on Wednesday.

Two other MSNBC sources said some of the testy on-air exchanges between Keith Olbermann — whose quick-witted and often caustic commentary has fueled ratings growth — and other network personalities were a public glimpse of much more intense behind-the-scenes turmoil.

As replays of the conflicts became YouTube hits, MSNBC President Phil Griffin gave his first public defense in a Politico interview.

“MSNBC does not have an ideology,” Griffin said. “We hire smart people who are passionate about their love of politics and love of news.”

“Do I want them to have squabbles?” Griffin asked. “No. But I understand they’re human.”

In addition to Olbermann, MSNBC personalities Chris Matthews, Joe Scarborough and David Shuster were involved in Denver controversies.

On Monday evening, Olbermann interrupted Scarborough while he was talking about McCain being competitive in the polls. “Jesus, Joe, why don’t you get a shovel?” Olbermann remarked.

On “Morning Joe” the following day, a clearly agitated Scarborough went off on Shuster during a discussion of Iraq, which quickly devolved over several cringe-worthy minutes into personal attacks, such as Scarborough telling the world how his colleague missed the show three times by oversleeping. "Are you Rip Van Shuster?” Scarborough asked. “Have you been sleeping for the past couple of months?”
As awkward as these moments have been, holy crap you wouldn't see that on CNN with Anderson Cooper. It's given some of MSNBC's coverage a Lord of the Flies type mood, and it's been train-wreck fascinating to watch.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #258
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Media look for conflict, but Democrats disappoint

Despite the best efforts of the television news outlets, it was a great night for Democratic television.

By Mary McNamara
Times Television Critic

August 28, 2008

Karl Rove defending Bill Clinton from a disparaging Sean Hannity; Bill Clinton telling the thousands of conventioneers chanting his name to "please stop it, please sit down," so he could anoint Barack Obama; Joe Biden honoring his white-haired mother for telling him to bloody the noses of the bullies who picked on him; Obama telling Hillary Rodham Clinton that she "rocked the house" -- despite the best efforts of the television news outlets, it was a great night for Democratic television. Specifically, it was all so well planned, you almost couldn't believe it was the Democrats.

Since the party's primaries began, the media have tried to call the election long before the polls even opened, much less closed. They hit a fever pitch in Denver, where cable commentators desperate to fill news hours with anything but what was actually happening talked themselves hoarse prognosticating. James Carville carped that the Democrats weren't taking big enough swings at John McCain, Chris Matthews fretted about wounds that would not heal, Brit Hume dampened whatever enthusiasm he witnessed.

Meanwhile, in the Pepsi Center, a convention of admirable orchestration has been taking place. Long considered something of a spoiler, Hillary Clinton pledged herself and her supporters to Obama and managed to look terrific wearing an orange pantsuit. Wednesday night, Bill Clinton arrived to a seemingly uncontrollable ovation (so much for the boos predicted by many pundits), spit in the Republican Party's eye and answered the is-Obama-experienced question by noting that the same criticism was leveled at him and it seemed to turn out all right. Biden passionately outlined the goals of an Obama-Biden administration and then, as if he could not bear to stay away from such a great party, Obama himself arrived, a day ahead of schedule.

Yes, it would have been nice if any of the networks besides PBS had chosen to run John F. Kerry's speech rather than endless analysis of Bill Clinton's speech, but I guess we can't have everything. We'll just have to settle for Karl praising Bill on Fox News for so clearly articulating the goals of his party. And really, that's enough for one lifetime.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #259
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yes, it would have been nice if any of the networks besides PBS had chosen to run John F. Kerry's speech rather than endless analysis of Bill Clinton's speech, but I guess we can't have everything.

if Kerry had given a similar speech in 2004, we'd be watching his re-election campaign right now.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #260
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post

I am currently leaning towards, McCain, barely.
I learned in 2000 that when the American people gamble on someone with little experience
it can have devastating consequences.
Say what you want, but you are making the simplistic comparison here that only experience counts. Bush little experience and Obama little experience is with this logic applied an equal outcome.

Far too simplistic in my eyes.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #261
Blue Crack Addict

How good will Obama be tonight?

Will he bring Biden on stage?

Michelle, Biden and Wife + kids?

The Clintons?

Will Bill even be there?

any other surprises ?

Will MLK jr family be on stage ?

Has anyone seen Jesse Jackson at the convention ????????
Old 08-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #262
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
if Kerry had given a similar speech in 2004, we'd be watching his re-election campaign right now.
To quote my wife, "Why didn't he speak like that in 2004?"

My response, "Maybe he needed the botox."
Old 08-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #263
Blue Crack Addict

Indy (pedent?) Barack and his Temple of ......

Change
Old 08-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #264
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

How good will Obama be tonight?

Will he bring Biden on stage?

Michelle, Biden and Wife + kids?

The Clintons?

Will Bill even be there?

any other surprises ?

Will MLK jr family be on stage ?

maybe he can bring bono on stage and they can duet on you don't bring me flowers.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #265
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:43 AM
followed by ebony & ivory?
Old 08-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #266
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
followed by ebony & ivory?
Obama can sing that one solo
Old 08-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #267
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

They just showed delegates swaying and dancing to the sounds of "Beautiful Day" at Mile-High Stadium. That sight made me happy.

Two of my three passions, represented on the TV screen: U2 and Democratic politics. (The third is Second Life)
Old 08-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #268
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Yeah, he's there. He was all over the teevee today talking about his meeting with Biden earlier.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #269
Refugee

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
It would have taken a lot more than a speech at a convention for Kerry to have won in 2004.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:43 PM   #270
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Quote:
DENVER — Sen. Barack Obama’s campaign organized its supporters Wednesday night to confront Tribune-owned WGN-AM in Chicago for having a critic of the Illinois Democrat on its air.

“WGN radio is giving right-wing hatchet man Stanley Kurtz a forum to air his baseless, fear-mongering terrorist smears,” Obama’s campaign wrote in an e-mail to supporters. “He’s currently scheduled to spend a solid two-hour block from 9:00 to 11:00 p.m. pushing lies, distortions, and manipulations about Barack and University of Illinois professor William Ayers.”

Kurtz, a conservative writer, recently wrote an article for the National Review that looked at Obama’s ties to Ayers, a former 1960s radical who later emerged as a school reform advocate in Chicago.

The magazine had been blocked in its initial attempts to obtain records from the University of Illinois at Chicago regarding a school reform initiative called the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, which Obama chaired and Ayers co-founded. Obama critics were quick to suggest that political clout could be involved in seeking to protect Obama from embarrassment. The school later reversed its position and made the records available Tuesday.

On Wednesday evening, Obama’s campaign urged supporters to call the radio station to complain. “Tell WGN that by providing Kurtz with airtime, they are legitimizing baseless attacks from a smear-merchant and lowering the standards of political discourse,” the note said.

“It is absolutely unacceptable that WGN would give a slimy character assassin like Kurtz time for his divisive, destructive ranting on our public airwaves,” the note continued. “At the very least, they should offer sane, honest rebuttal to every one of Kurtz’s lies.”
Obama campaign confronts WGN radio: The Swamp

The media really should know better and stay on message.