Democratic National Convention Thread - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #181
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:13 AM
I love the roll call. The nominating speeches... the floor demonstrations... the windbags going on and on... Madam Secretary... the tally.

But whatever happened to the gavel pounding at these things.

And when does Nancy Pelosi blink?
__________________

__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #182
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 09:13 AM
Quote:
Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's big speech on Thursday night will be delivered from an elaborate columned stage resembling a miniature Greek temple.
The Rocky Mountains transformed into Mount Olympus. Obama from African-American to Aphrodite.

--Expect a new John McCain ad by Monday.
__________________

__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #183
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,287
Local Time: 09:13 AM
Bill did a decent job.

But they played a butchered version of Beautiful Day as he was leaving the podium.
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #184
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 11:13 AM
I Bill Clinton, and I always will. He is a brilliant speaker and is one of our best presidents. I think his speech was just as fantastic as Hillary's last night. One of the things I noticed about his speech tonight was the way he set it up as a case to be argued for Obama. Obviously, that's the lawyer in him. He hit at McCain and the Republican party exactly the way he needed to. The comparisons he drew between himself and Obama were excellent too; especially the one about how the Republicans tried to paint him as young and inexperienced in 1992. For those undecided Democrats and/or Hillary supporters this should really make them think about the choice they make this election. I've heard many use the inexperience ridiculousness against Obama, yet they forget that many people had the same problem with Clinton when he was running for his first term. As President Clinton pointed out, Obama is rational, has good judgement, instinct, insight and understands the problems we face at home and around the world. I thought his praise of Joe Biden was important as well in order to show how with Obama's fresh perspective and Biden's experience will lead to a successful administration. I'm looking forward to hearing from Biden himself in a little while.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #185
Refugee
 
Muldfeld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,882
Local Time: 10:13 AM
I as angry as I am with Bill Clinton for his recent campaign tactics and for his actions as president in propagandizing the supposed threat from Saddam Hussein to look tough and bombing innocent people recklessly to avoid US casualties and enabling Saddam Hussein to kick out UN inspectors because Clinton had the CIA infiltrate the inspection team, violating the UN agreement (according to Scott Ritter), and despite all his attacks on the poor (welfare reform, 3 strikes and you're out, etc) and in favor of corporate interests, and letting down the people of Russia to help their government transition smoothly, so we wouldn't have people desperately rallying to a strong man like Putin....

The teenage me really got a kick out of a great endorsement speech. Well done!
__________________
Muldfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:42 PM   #186
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
sue4u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Posts: 6,628
Local Time: 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
I Bill Clinton, and I always will. He is a brilliant speaker and is one of our best presidents. I think his speech was just as fantastic as Hillary's last night.

The comparisons he drew between himself and Obama were excellent too; especially the one about how the Republicans tried to paint him as young and inexperienced in 1992. For those undecided Democrats and/or Hillary supporters this should really make them think about the choice they make this election



John Kerry is doing a good job too...
__________________
sue4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:44 PM   #187
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 11:13 AM
I can't listen to John Kerry speak without falling asleep. As they said on SNL back in '04', he's the political equivalent of Nyquil. I desperately wish he would've won the election though. God knows we'd be WAY better off than we are under a second term of Bush.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #188
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 07:13 AM
I'm just going to say one thing, and everyone can ignore it, etc....

I'm for Obama, and am very proud that he and Hillary were the two leading Democratic candidates. It's encouraging.

That being said, I think it might be a little disingenuous to suggest that it is ridiculous for people to have concerns about Obama's experience. Again, I'll be voting for the man, and his experience, or lack thereof, does not keep me from deeply believing that he's our best possible choice right now, for so many different reasons. However, there are 22 year old college grads that get turned down for low level white collar jobs due to lack of experience, and, it's sometimes the right call. So, I mean, if some 25 year old Manager of Consumer Marketing can reject someone for an even more menial marketing gig because the candidate lacks experience, then I think it's fair if someone, anyone, is concerned (and I mean legitimately concerned as a voter, not concerned because they're blind to their conservative cause), about someone stepping into the role of POTUS while lacking what they deem to be the appropriate amount of experience for the job.

So, yeah, I'll be overlooking such a flaw, if flaw it really is, but, I find it hard to casually dismiss such concerns, especially when I hear them from the mouths of objective friends/coworkers/acquaintances/pundits, many of whom are much smarter and much more knowledgeable than I am.
__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #189
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I'm just going to say one thing, and everyone can ignore it, etc....

I'm for Obama, and am very proud that he and Hillary were the two leading Democratic candidates. It's encouraging.

That being said, I think it might be a little disingenuous to suggest that it is ridiculous for people to have concerns about Obama's experience. Again, I'll be voting for the man, and his experience, or lack thereof, does not keep me from deeply believing that he's our best possible choice right now, for so many different reasons. However, there are 22 year old college grads that get turned down for low level white collar jobs due to lack of experience, and, it's sometimes the right call. So, I mean, if some 25 year old Manager of Consumer Marketing can reject someone for an even more menial marketing gig because the candidate lacks experience, then I think it's fair if someone, anyone, is concerned (and I mean legitimately concerned as a voter, not concerned because they're blind to their conservative cause), about someone stepping into the role of POTUS while lacking what they deem to be the appropriate amount of experience for the job.

So, yeah, I'll be overlooking such a flaw, if flaw it really is, but, I find it hard to casually dismiss such concerns, especially when I hear them from the mouths of objective friends/coworkers/acquaintances/pundits, many of whom are much smarter and much more knowledgeable than I am.
I don't think your post should be ignored

but I am afraid many people will want to ignore it

his lack of experience is a flaw, Bill Clinton gave him as much help as he could when he said people said he was too young and inexperienced in 1992.

Bill Clinton had a ready answer to that criticism, he told them that he had been a Governor for 10 years
and before that Arkansas Attorney General.
So Bill Clinton was young, but not inexperienced. The criticism did not stick, like it does with Obama.
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:22 PM   #190
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 11:13 AM
^Obama has a been a U.S. senator for 4 years and was an Illinois state senator for 7 years prior. He has roughly the same amount of experience in government that Clinton had when he ran in '92'. President Clinton spent time as a law professor after graduating from college, as did Obama. They have/had very similar career experiences when it all comes down to it.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #191
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 10:13 AM
Since when has "experience" been a substitute for good judgment and character? We've had any number of highly "experienced" CEOs running America's corporations, and that still hasn't stopped any number of them from being run like a personal piggy bank into bankruptcy.

And, I'm sorry, the results of the current Bush's presidency could have been seen a mile away back in 2000, "experience" or otherwise. Does anyone here really think that McCain and the Republican Party have made some magical transformation that can distance themselves from the corruption and ineptitude of their recent past and present? Let's face it, folks. A vote for McCain is an endorsement of the status quo, and I don't think the present is all that great.
__________________
melon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 PM   #192
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
^Obama has a been a U.S. senator for 4 years and was an Illinois state senator for 7 years prior. He has roughly the same amount of experience in government that Clinton had when he ran in '92'.
With all due respect, that's just a mathematical exercise.

Many would regard Clinton's executive experience as a Governor - granted, of a fairly small state - as deeper experience than Obama's as a legislator.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #193
Blue Crack Supplier
 
No spoken words's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Where do YOU live?
Posts: 43,241
Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Since when has "experience" been a substitute for good judgment and character? We've had any number of highly "experienced" CEOs running America's corporations, and that still hasn't stopped any number of them from being run like a personal piggy bank into bankruptcy.

And, I'm sorry, the results of the current Bush's presidency could have been seen a mile away back in 2000, "experience" or otherwise. Does anyone here really think that McCain and the Republican Party have made some magical transformation that can distance themselves from the corruption and ineptitude of their recent past and present? Let's face it, folks. A vote for McCain is an endorsement of the status quo, and I don't think the present is all that great.
I think that we ought to demand character, good judgement and experience for this particular job, but you can rarely have it all, I suppose.

To reiterate, I am enthusiastically supporting and voting for Obama, I just think that to claim that legitimate concerns about Obama's experience are ridiculous is, well, ridiculous.
__________________
No spoken words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #194
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
With all due respect, that's just a mathematical exercise.

Many would regard Clinton's executive experience as a Governor - granted, of a fairly small state - as deeper experience than Obama's as a legislator.

Yes, executive experience as a very successful Governor in a southern State for 10 years is different than being a member of a state legislator voting present.
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ladywithspinninghead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,634
Local Time: 10:13 AM
Damned, I fell asleep and missed Bill Clinton's speech.
I forgot how well Joe Biden spoke (or maybe it's just the contrast with John Kerry )
(although I hope it won't be as long-winded as he can be at times)
__________________

__________________
ladywithspinninghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com