Democracy simply doesn't work - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2016, 01:32 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:11 PM
man i didn't want to make you sad so I'll comment on here.

also, this is Stephen's response:

Old 04-21-2016, 01:37 AM   #3
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
man i didn't want to make you sad so I'll comment on here.
It's a thread on something not in America. Of course it's going to sink without a trace on FYM these days.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:48 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
It's a thread on something not in America. Of course it's going to sink without a trace on FYM these days.
thread about tough retirement situation in Japan kinda left some trace which faded very quickly, so yeah I guess you're right.

also, nobody made thread about Panama paper, wtf.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:03 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:11 PM
Boaty McFuckface.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:04 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

We could have a thread about our new paper currency update... drumroll puleeze: they put a slightly older-looking portrait of the Queen on it, in place of the one they used to have. And added some colourful bead things.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:06 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Actually our paper money is relatively non-partisan in its imagery, when you think about it. No bills with John Curtin or Menzies on them, even though, in a different country, such a thing might have come about quite naturally.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:13 AM   #8
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
also, nobody made thread about Panama paper, wtf.
That genuinely surprised me. But I guess we'd have all posted "huh, yeah, we all suspected that" and not had much real discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
Actually our paper money is relatively non-partisan in its imagery, when you think about it. No bills with John Curtin or Menzies on them, even though, in a different country, such a thing might have come about quite naturally.
I love that we've managed to get a university named after an ALP PM (Curtin University, and the University of Western Sydney came very close to being Chifley University), but none after a Lib. Though I suppose Deakin fits in the liberal tradition, if not the Liberal tradition.

And the whole drama about the five dollarydoo note is such a storm in a teacup. The thing doesn't even look that bad when you see an actual photo of the real thing rather than that strange scan with the transparent parts on a blue background.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-21-2016, 04:21 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
That genuinely surprised me. But I guess we'd have all posted "huh, yeah, we all suspected that" and not had much real discussion.

I love that we've managed to get a university named after an ALP PM (Curtin University, and the University of Western Sydney came very close to being Chifley University), but none after a Lib. Though I suppose Deakin fits in the liberal tradition, if not the Liberal tradition.

And the whole drama about the five dollarydoo note is such a storm in a teacup. The thing doesn't even look that bad when you see an actual photo of the real thing rather than that strange scan with the transparent parts on a blue background.
Yes well, like many such dramas, it's really not anything at all.

Deakin University, sure. That's about as close as you'd find, and it's from so early in the history of the commonwealth, 'founding fathers' dreamtime as it were.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:38 AM   #10
Vocal parasite

Can you even imagine working at a Menzies University anyway. It'd be a fucking hellhole of IPA stooges trying to tell you that Menzies would've wanted this or that, despite the fact his conception of liberalism and their arse-backwards neoliberalism are two different beasts.

But by god do they need that cult of Menzies because otherwise they've got nothing other than a graven image of John Howard, and that's worth about $2.50.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-21-2016, 04:41 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

don't get me started on this weird conversation about 20 dollar bill
Old 04-21-2016, 04:47 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Can you even imagine working at a Menzies University anyway. It'd be a fucking hellhole of IPA stooges trying to tell you that Menzies would've wanted this or that, despite the fact his conception of liberalism and their arse-backwards neoliberalism are two different beasts.

But by god do they need that cult of Menzies because otherwise they've got nothing other than a graven image of John Howard, and that's worth about $2.50.
The cult of Menzies doesn't get invoked all that much anymore, it seems to me. He has significantly less resemblance to the modern party - significantly less - than Reagan does for the GOP. So really, it is the $2.50 Howard option. That's what they've got.

The Liberal Party doesn't do grand elder statesmen. Malcolm Fraser left the reservation (or they left him), Menzies himself quietly ended up a DLP man, Gorton they pretty much forgot he was still alive until 2001 or something, McMahon, well, whatever. All they've got is John Howard and even he must grit his teeth when he shares a stage with freaks like Tony Abbott.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:52 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

All that said, I gather that there is something (a website, probably not an actual building) called Menzies House, which despite the genial sounding name - you almost expect Dame Pattie to drop by with scones and crustless sandwiches after tennis - is pretty much what you described, a hellhole of pale, sicklied IPA stooges leafing through their tomes of Ayn Rand and Friedrich von Hayek.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:36 AM   #14
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
The cult of Menzies doesn't get invoked all that much anymore, it seems to me. He has significantly less resemblance to the modern party - significantly less - than Reagan does for the GOP. So really, it is the $2.50 Howard option. That's what they've got.

The Liberal Party doesn't do grand elder statesmen. Malcolm Fraser left the reservation (or they left him), Menzies himself quietly ended up a DLP man, Gorton they pretty much forgot he was still alive until 2001 or something, McMahon, well, whatever. All they've got is John Howard and even he must grit his teeth when he shares a stage with freaks like Tony Abbott.
Yes, I guess it was with the demise of Howard that we also had a serious weakening of the cult of Menzies. Whatever may be said about him, Howard was still in the Menzies tradition more than he was not. Abbott - absolutely not. Turnbull would be if his party did not want him to be, and that says it all.

The whole Fraser thing remains unbelievable. Could you imagine any prominent Liberal of today's generation openly campaigning for a Green?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-21-2016, 06:37 AM   #15
Vocal parasite

Funny topic for a Boaty McBoatface thread, this.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
boaty mcboatface, democracy