Death Penalty takes an innocent...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But, you know, God is his judge. :rolleyes:

So there's nothing wrong with Hitler, Stalin, and Mao Zedong.

If I were old enough to vote, I would register as a Republican just to vote for KBH in this gubernatorial primary. Rick Perry is a complete insult to Texas and to humanity as a whole. I really cannot stand that man.

If you could explain a little further to me what you meant there I could respond.

The thing that always struck me as remarkable about Texas (concerning the death penalty) is this. Texas obviously has the death penalty, and I think they execute more than any other state in the USA. They don't seem to have any problem with that. When confronted with the notion that, given the number of people executed, sometimes an innocent person might be executed, they respond citing their faith in due process, fair trial, and complete confidence in the juries who listened carefully to the evidence and rendered proper justice. That punishment is obviously irreversable.

On the other hand, Texas was the first state to put a limit on the amount of punitive damages that a jury could render in an injury case ($200,000 I believe). That is, if a company knowingly and wilfully engaged in behavior that rendered someone dead or seriously injured, the maximum amount of punitive damages they could face in Texas was $200,000. The idea was that Texas had to do something about these "runaway juries" that were giving verdicts that were just too much money. They needed a statute to limit how much justice a jury could serve in those cases.

So, you have a situation where the Texas juries are perfectly competent to hand out irreversable death penalty verdicts in criminal cases, but are perceived to be utterly incompetent when asked to determine how much money should be awarded in civil cases. Needless to say, it's doubtful that any criminal defendants have any lobbyists or political action committees in their corner.

fantastic post above!
I am extremely against the death penalty, almost to the point of being one of those raving loonies holding a sign or something, but I think if even one innocent person is murderer under the death penalty it needs to be demolished. Obviously it isn't a deterrant against murder etc as its still happening, so i think life without parole is the best case alternative.
How sad for this innocent man to go to his death being innocent. Makes me feel sick.

fantastic post above!
I am extremely against the death penalty, almost to the point of being one of those raving loonies holding a sign or something, but I think if even one innocent person is murderer under the death penalty it needs to be demolished. Obviously it isn't a deterrant against murder etc as its still happening, so i think life without parole is the best case alternative.
How sad for this innocent man to go to his death being innocent. Makes me feel sick.
agreed :up:

The thing that always struck me as remarkable about Texas (concerning the death penalty) is this. Texas obviously has the death penalty, and I think they execute more than any other state in the USA. They don't seem to have any problem with that. When confronted with the notion that, given the number of people executed, sometimes an innocent person might be executed, they respond citing their faith in due process, fair trial, and complete confidence in the juries who listened carefully to the evidence and rendered proper justice. That punishment is obviously irreversable.

On the other hand, Texas was the first state to put a limit on the amount of punitive damages that a jury could render in an injury case ($200,000 I believe). That is, if a company knowingly and wilfully engaged in behavior that rendered someone dead or seriously injured, the maximum amount of punitive damages they could face in Texas was $200,000. The idea was that Texas had to do something about these "runaway juries" that were giving verdicts that were just too much money. They needed a statute to limit how much justice a jury could serve in those cases.

So, you have a situation where the Texas juries are perfectly competent to hand out irreversable death penalty verdicts in criminal cases, but are perceived to be utterly incompetent when asked to determine how much money should be awarded in civil cases. Needless to say, it's doubtful that any criminal defendants have any lobbyists or political action committees in their corner.

this is a very astute post.

Update: Looks like Texas won't allow itself to be put in the position that suggests (or perhaps proves) that they executed an innocent person. Click on the link below for an update on the situation. The panel was at a "crucial point" (seemingly ready to determine that an innocent man was executed) when the governor (who authorized the execution) suddenly broke up the panel before they could go on record with their findings. Isn't this the same clown that recently wanted Texas to break away from the US? All of this reminds me of another situation in Texas a few years ago (when Bush was governor I believe) when Texas was deliberately destroying old evidence (with DNA on it) because modern DNA testing was setting too many "convicted" persons free. They actually fought hard in their own courts to be allowed to continue destroying the evidence arguing that they "didn't have room to store it". Incredible.

Here is today's CNN article...

Shakeup in Texas execution probe draws criticism, questions - CNN.com

Back
Top Bottom