DC Metro crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnRKeyintheUSA

War Child
Two dead, others hurt in DC rail transit collision - Yahoo! News

BREAKING NEWS

Two dead, others hurt in DC rail transit collision
AP

By BRETT ZONGKER, Associated Press Writer Brett Zongker, Associated Press Writer – 5 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Two Metro transit trains collided at the height of the Monday evening rush hour, killing at least two people and severely injuring others as cars of one train jackknifed into the air and fell atop the other.

District of Columbia fire spokesman Alan Etter said crews were cutting apart the trains to get people out in what he described as a "mass casualty event." Rescue workers propped steel ladders up to the upper train cars to help survivors escape. Seats from the smashed cars had spilled out onto the track.

The crash took place on the system's red line, Metro's busiest, which runs below ground for much of its length but is above ground at the site near the Maryland border.

Both trains were on the same track, but officials said it was too early to determine what caused the crash.

Passenger Jodie Wickett, a nurse, told CNN she was seated on one train, sending text messages on her phone, when she felt the impact. She said she texted someone that it felt like the train had hit a bump.

"From that point on, it happened so fast, I flew out of the seat and hit my head." Wickett said she stayed at the scene and tried to help. She said "people are just in very bad shape."

"The people that were hurt, the ones that could speak, were calling back as we called out to them," she said. "Lots of people were upset and crying, but there were no screams."

One man said he was riding a bicycle across a bridge over the Metro tracks when the sound of the collision got his attention.

"I didn't see any panic," Barry Student said. "The whole situation was so surreal."

The collision occurred about 5 p.m. EDT — the height of the city's rush hour — inside the District of Columbia but near the city's border with Maryland.

Homeland Security Department spokeswoman Amy Kudwa said less than two hours after the crash that federal authorities had no indication of any terrorism connection.

Metro general manager John Catoe said at least 60 people had been taken off the trains.

"I don't know the reason for this accident," he said. "I would still say the system is safe, but we've had an incident."

Agreed. First thing I thought of is, I hope Irvine wasn't on that train.

Prayers for the victims and their families. . .

from the WaPo

Two Red Line Metrorail trains collided this evening between the Fort Totten and Takoma stations, killing at least six people and injuring 70 in what authorities called the transit system's deadliest crash ever. The trains struck with such force that part of one vaulted on top of the other.

...Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) said this evening that six people were killed but rescue personnel were still combing the wreckage. "This is the deadliest accident in the history of our Metro train transit system," Fenty said.

Fire Chief Dennis L. Rubin estimated 70 people were injured, six critically, 14 moderately and 50 with minor injuries. Authorities said rescuers were searching the trains at the scene in Northeast Washington to ensure they were evacuated.

my friend was riding the red line today. she said the displays were saying there was scheduled track maintenance. when that happens, they usually run on one track for some stops. obvi there was some sort of miscommunication. she was on that train (but at another stop, so she was not involved in the crash) when the accident happened, then that part of the line just shut down. so tragic.

my friend was riding the red line today. she said the displays were saying there was scheduled track maintenance. when that happens, they usually run on one track for some stops. obvi there was some sort of miscommunication. she was on that train (but at another stop, so she was not involved in the crash) when the accident happened, then that part of the line just shut down. so tragic.

From what I hear on the local news, the trains were going in the same direction and one was stopped. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if any of my coworkers were on the train.

thanks for the kind thoughts, i'm totally fine. i don't tend to leave work until at least 7pm, so we all heard about the crash while at the office. i do take the Red Line towards Glenmont, and i go through the Fort Totten and Takoma Park metro stations every single day, twice.

so it's scary, and tragic, but it's still much safer than driving The Beltway every day of the year.

i fear what the commute is going to be like tomorrow. i may just metro into downtown and then pay a cab to drive me north.

I'm so glad everyone is ok. My heart stopped when I heard what line it was and immediately thought of all the interferencers here. Again, so glad everyone is ok!

Thoughts and prayers going out to the rest of the people that were affected by this. :hug:

From what I hear on the local news, the trains were going in the same direction and one was stopped. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if any of my coworkers were on the train.

You're right. One was stopped, waiting for another to clear the station ahead. I guess the maintenance had nothing to do with it.

I'm glad your coworkers are safe.

^Thanks.

The Post mentions that the train was in auto mode, and some experts are saying the signal system likely failed and the operator failed to apply the emergency brake.

There was a similar incident four years ago:
But four years ago, in an episode eerily similar to yesterday's, the signal system briefly failed in the tunnel between Foggy Bottom and Rosslyn, forcing two quick-thinking operators to stop their trains manually to avoid a crash.

In the June 2005 incident, the operator of one train noticed that he was getting too close to the train ahead. The signal system was telling him the track was clear, but he hit the brakes. The operator of a third train on the line hit the emergency brakes on time, too.

My thoughts go out to all those involved in the crash and to their relatives... And of course to those who didn't take this particular metro today but usually do.

I was so busy yesterday/last night I didn't watch the news, didn't see this until this morning. My best friend lives and goes to school in DC and is/was an Interferencer....waiting to hear back...

Glad Jess, Irvine, et all are OK!

Back
Top Bottom