Day Of Action Monday APril 4th Workers Rights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
In comemoration of Dr King's assasination this day-
he was in Memphis Tenn to support Sanitation Workers rights
esp Safety issues
: Labor, Women's, Religious, Black, Latino, Asion, Teachers , Students and other groups will be gathering ALL Across The USA at marches, rall ies, teach-ins, candle-lit vigils to protest the draconian cuts threatgened or enacted by State Governers (esp but not totally limited to Republican ) /or Republican-controlled Leglislators (ie Wisconson, Michigan, Ohio, New Jersey<for now>), Local & Federal ( The Republicans in the House of Reprentitivesand some more conservative Democrats etc)

The actions are various and set up by different Labor and other groups-
which is why I can't give you a single link.

what I did and found info I needed for my area was:
Google in
Day of Action April 4 2011 + your city, town, if near-by your State Capital etc

and, or

Uinions> AFL-CIO, CWA, USW , UAW + your area

and/or near-by Universities and colleges

Today is the 43rd anniversary of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Many Americans know that King was shot at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee—which now hosts a national civil rights museum in honor of King—but what is less known is why King was there in the first place.

On April 3, 1968, King traveled to Memphis, Tennessee, where he delivered his famous “Mountaintop” speech, during which he endorsed a “human rights revolution” based around eradicating racism, poverty, and militarism. King had arrived in Memphis to support a strike by the city’s sanitation workers, who struck to gain collective bargaining rights and better conditions following the deaths of two city workers in an accident. King called upon the city to respect the “dignity of labor,” saying that all workers deserved fair treatment. He also said it was a crime for a rich country like the United States to pay some people starvation wages. Documentary footage from the AFSCME union captured King’s address to the workers:

KING: You are demanding that this city will respect the dignity of labor. So often we overlook the work and the significance of those who are not in professional jobs, of those who are not in the so-called big jobs. But let me say to you tonight that whenever you are engaged in work that serves humanity and is for the building of humanity, it has dignity and it has worth. You are reminding not only Memphis but you are reminding the nation that it is a crime for people who live in this rich nation and receive starvation wages.​
MLK Mountaintop Speech - Memphis, April 3 1968
This is the speech that concludes with the declaration that he doesn't fear death "...because I've been to the mountaintop...I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight, that we as a people will get to the promised land."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom