David Brooks: They're ALL Batshit Crazy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yolland

Forum Moderator
Normally I prefer to post an article rather than say, "Just watch the video," but, in this case...just watch the video.
David Brooks: 'In Search of Dignity' (MSNBC, July 10)
Of course what's probably going to become the focus of blogosphere attention here, from both left and right, is the unsavory anecdote about an unnamed "Republican senator" he happens to lead off with. But note, in context, Brooks is clearly talking about what he sees as an across-the-board decline in 'dignity' among public figures like Washington politicians. (In fact, this MSNBC segment was a followup to his NYT column last week on the same topic.)

Unbecomingly disdainful for a political journalist of his stature? Irreverent yet insightful? Titillating but ultimately banal? Or has Brooks himself gone batshit crazy to casually sling around such allegations on primetime in the first place?

Last edited:
I think he's just describing narcissism since these people are so into themselves that they always need attention and that's always been there to a certain respect. He should be more focussed on whether he's fitting into that category himself or not. I don't think journalists are immune. There seems to be lots of speculation and allegations in newsmedia to create entertainment. Reporting just facts would shrink the newsmedia, and they've already shrunk in many places.

I think he's just describing narcissism since these people are so into themselves that they always need attention and that's always been there to a certain respect. He should be more focussed on whether he's fitting into that category himself or not. I don't think journalists are immune. There seems to be lots of speculation and allegations in newsmedia to create entertainment. Reporting just facts would shrink the newsmedia, and they've already shrunk in many places.

Yeah it's funny how the interviewer doesn't ask him if he is like that too. I notice the media are so incompetent, and in my opinion they are in bed with the politicians is why they never ask these questions.

I notice the media are so incompetent, and in my opinion they are in bed with the politicians is why they never ask these questions.

I'd have to agree with that and without knowing anything about David Brooks, this clip sounds like someone who's had it with playing the game by artificial rules in the face of such glaringly unapologetic and disgraceful 'leaders'. His inner truth-exposing journalist (whatever may be left of it) was pushed over the edge and he's indulging in some stress-busting gallows humour. That sort of (unexpected?) frankness from someone typically restrained is often refreshing. :up:

I'd have to agree with that and without knowing anything about David Brooks, this clip sounds like someone who's had it with playing the game by artificial rules in the face of such glaringly unapologetic and disgraceful 'leaders'. His inner truth-exposing journalist (whatever may be left of it) was pushed over the edge and he's indulging in some stress-busting gallows humour. That sort of (unexpected?) frankness from someone typically restrained is often refreshing. :up:

Do you have any faith in the mass media ? It seems to me in a conspiracy way that they are told what interviews they can cover (by their bosses)and then they laugh at anything that doesn't fit their news stations agenda. I'm Canadian and i'm not saying it's so great up here but I notice a difference, the Canadian newscasters do ask the obvious hard hitting questions but the American stations don't, unless it supports their view. What's up with that ?

I'd have to agree with that and without knowing anything about David Brooks, this clip sounds like someone who's had it with playing the game by artificial rules in the face of such glaringly unapologetic and disgraceful 'leaders'. His inner truth-exposing journalist (whatever may be left of it) was pushed over the edge and he's indulging in some stress-busting gallows humour.
Yes, exactly. Sorry, I should've explained who Brooks is, I was in a rush when I posted this. He's a veteran political journalist, been around for probably 25 years now, who made his name as a Wall Street Journal columnist and Weekly Standard editor, and currently writes a column for the New York Times as well as making regular commentary appearances on PBS' Lehrer News Hour. He's a moderate conservative and, like Buckley or Will, considered a 'thinking man's journalist' by American standards. So part of what made this MSNBC appearance funny/memorable/startling is that David Brooks is about the last media personality you'd expect to spontaneously start airing Congressmen's private peccadilloes, complete with characterizations like "emotional freaks," "drooling Saint Bernards," "And it was like, Eww get me outta here!" etc. (This also explains the interchange at the end where the anchorwoman, I think only half-jokingly, asks "Did you have a couple drinks at lunch, David?!" and he deadpans, "I'm trying not to act too dignified and stuffy.")

I don't know anything about the other two; I assume they're MSNBC anchorpersons, but I never watch network news so I wouldn't know. To be fair to them, I think they were probably a bit taken aback by his frankness, plus it's a bit hard to know what to say to something like that. Asking Brooks if he's a "drooling St. Bernard" type would be ridiculous--he patently isn't, and even if he were, the audience isn't interested in hearing about him anyway.

Mass media like every other pillar of society these days struggles with the effects of globalization.

Journalism in an Age of Mass Media Globalization

Wow that's one long article, I have gone through more than half of it. But reafirms what I'm sayng, for example the part where it says Rupert Murdoch owns so many newspapers and he has an agenda then the those papers editors follow what he wants. It's sickening. I will read the rest of this wonderful paper and so should many other Interferences and write back about their thoughts. The bottom line is what we are seeing on the news and papers is just simply propaganda from the agenda of a few.

Yeah, sorry it's long, I wanted to quote just a couple of sections but the site wouldn't let me. :|

Anyway, my point was to illustrate that some of the cracks in mass media are not a conspiracy by design, just a predictable (and natural) outcome of concentrating and privatizing ownership and power.

So we have a massive rise of independent media on the net which is a double-edged sword. Tons of raw and real info/news, and a much bigger need for each of us to use critical thinking and keep our bullshit antennae sharp.

Back
Top Bottom