Cynthia Nixon Says She's Gay By Choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't that just the most retarded part of homophobia? That gay men should isolated from society, but lesbians are a precious commodity to be celebrated and pictured when masturbating.

If Cynthia Nixon is coming from a place of enormous privilege and comparatively little cost in coming out, then how is it - as you're well aware and have yourself pointed out on previous occasions - that so many gay actors are still in the closet - some of them with even higher profiles and more bankability than Cynthia Nixon?

Cynthia Nixon isn't Julia Roberts.she doesn't have people saying to her, "no one will believe you in this romantic comedy that you're expected to open at $25m this weekend so stay in the closet."

she had small parts in movies and TV and was mostly a NYC-based theater actress until she made it very big in Sex and the City.

i'm happy she's "out," so to speak, and much more visible about it than, say, Jodie Foster.

but then, Ms. Foster has 2 Oscars. the bigger you are the harder it is to come out.

I consider Jodie Foster to be out, but I don't think it was by her own decision. How much of it is due to just a difference in personality? Jodie is just more private in general. I don't know how many big movie stars still can't be out if they want to, for career reasons. At least now it should not hurt them career wise as much, but I think it's definitely easier for women in Hollywood than it is for men. Especially any big box office "leading man" types.

Maybe it's also a factor that SATC had a certain type of audience that's more accepting of that. I hate to use the word accepting but I just can't think of a better one right now.

"My recent comments in The New York Times were about me and my personal story of being gay. I believe we all have different ways we came to the gay community and we can't and shouldn't be pigeon-holed into one cultural narrative which can be uninclusive and disempowering. However, to the extent that anyone wishes to interpret my words in a strictly legal context I would like to clarify:

"While I don't often use the word, the technically precise term for my orientation is bisexual. I believe bisexuality is not a choice, it is a fact. What I have 'chosen' is to be in a gay relationship.

"As I said in the Times and will say again here, I do, however, believe that most members of our community — as well as the majority of heterosexuals — cannot and do not choose the gender of the persons with whom they seek to have intimate relationships because, unlike me, they are only attracted to one sex.

"Our community is not a monolith, thank goodness, any more than America itself is. I look forward to and will continue to work toward the day when America recognizes all of us as full and equal citizens." ~ Cynthia Nixon

Cynthia Nixon: Being Bisexual "Is Not a Choice" | News | The Advocate

But then think of all the fun, quality time we all would've missed out on spending together

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom