Culture of Violence:Gun Crime Up 89% in a Decade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I have posted before on this forum that I am a supporter of the 2nd Amendment in the U.S. Constitution.

I am glad that I live in a country where I am still free to own a firearm.

I live on a small farm and a firearm to me is like any other tool.

And like a hammer, a knife, or an axe...it is the user that directs its use for either good or evil.

The United Kingdom's big mistake is thinking it is the inanimate object that is the evil. Weapons of evil are formed in the heart, not in steel.

Culture of violence: Gun crime goes up by 89% in a decade | Mail Online

The "culture of violence" is often driven by men who believe guns are just tools...

Cars are inanimate objects but their are laws on how we can use them and who can use them.

So we are just talking about laws that govern who and how to use guns, these tools of death.

do you have any solutions to this, or are you just going to cite this and provide no solutions just as an excuse to keep guns available to any tom, dick or harry that wants one?

I was about to edit my post before a "excuse for every tom, Dick or Harry to keep a gun" rebuttal.

This thread is about what is it about our current culture that breeds this violence?

A few weeks ago, in the U.S. a young man was beaten to death in Chicago , for no reason. People stood by and watched it happen.

The UK gun ban is a failure. It is not about guns. It's about people intent on doing evil. We keep excusing evil people and keep placing the evil (the cause) on the objects they use to commit evil.

Can I offer some solutions?

Yeah...here's one. Let's start teaching our children and all who will listen that murdering a human being is wrong. Very wrong.

We keep excusing evil people and keep placing the evil (the cause) on the objects they use to commit evil.
No one is excusing evil. We are just trying to make it harder for evil not to take a human life from a hundred yards away.

Can I offer some solutions?

Yeah...here's one. Let's start teaching our children and all who will listen that murdering a human being is wrong. Very wrong.

But this will make us too nice to ever have a "real" war. You're a contradiction my friend.

No one is excusing evil. We are just trying to make it harder for evil not to take a human life from a hundred yards away.

But this will make us too nice to ever have a "real" war. You're a contradiction my friend.

No contradictions my friend.

This thread is about us. A society that seems to breed violence.
That continues, like you, to avoid the real issue. The real problem.

Waging a war in defense of your life and liberty is another subject.

You can "play with words" or choose to ignore word definitions.

This thread is about us. A society that seems to breed violence.
That continues, like you, to avoid the real issue. The real problem.
Oh the irony is thick today.

I didn't avoid anything. I think part of the breeding of violence comes from those that think a gun is just a tool, a toy, or something to collect and there is no respect for the fact that it can take a life.

Waging a war in defense of your life and liberty is another subject.

But it still takes violence and when you start to ask if we are too nice to engage in that kind of violence it seems contradictory to this thread. No matter if the war is on the streets or if the war is between nations, one always FEELS like it's about defense of life and liberty.

That solution is rather naive. I'm sure the parents of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold told them killing people was very wrong long before they shot up Columbine.

There are so many factors as to why society breeds violence. Just saying that it is wrong is far from enough from solving it.

Oh the irony is thick today.

I didn't avoid anything. I think part of the breeding of violence comes from those that think a gun is just a tool, a toy, or something to collect and there is no respect for the fact that it can take a life.

"I think part of the breeding of violence comes from those that think a gun is just a tool."

Like me?

I am helping to fuel murder?

Do you think the thugs in Great Britain murdering people or those in my own country doing the same evil view a firearm as just a tool?

Do you think the thugs in Great Britain murdering people or those in my own country doing the same evil view a firearm as just a tool?

Yep. It's just a tool, a means to get what they want.

My point is when you diminish it's power and compare it to a hammer you aren't showing it the respect it deserves. If you don't give a car the respect and responsibility it deserves and just treat it like a toy someone will get hurt.

So by comparing it to a hammer you are not doing anyone any good.

indeed.

the availability of handguns has much to do with this. we must teach our children that guns are weapons.

Indeed what?

Firearms were much more accessible twenty or more years ago.
Yet, the type of crime we are seeing now were not daily events.

That young man in Chicago was beaten to death with a pipe.

What is it about evil you do not understand?

And you ignore my comment on teaching our children that killing another person is wrong, but you state that we must teach that guns are weapons.

to a degree i can agree with the pro-gun lobby. i've no issues with them being around for hunting (although a fucking rifle vs a deer isn't sporting, get a bow and arrow!) or for target shooting.

like i said the first time around, guns being available to every tom, dick and harry are where things go wrong. people not having guns makes gun crime hard to carry out.

i've no issues with them being around for hunting (although a fucking rifle vs a deer isn't sporting, get a bow and arrow!)
oh shit!...

ted20nugent20hunting.png

I don't think this is necessarily true...

What is it about evil you don't understand? It's always going to be here so why give them the "tools" to make it easier? Why make it so easy to get those "tools"? Why lobby so hard to that you can own a machine gun and then diminish it's power by comparing it to a hammer, what a horrible lesson for children.

And you ignore my comment on teaching our children that killing another person is wrong, but you state that we must teach that guns are weapons.
Because this is just a given. Do you honestly think it's this simple, do you honestly think that those that murder were never taught differently? This is a simple naive point to an issue that has much more to do with economics, education, overcrowding, and the endless cycles that it puts them in.

Indeed what?

actually, crime was much higher 20 years ago. the 1990s saw dramatic reductions in crime and it's continued into the 21st century.

That young man in Chicago was beaten to death with a pipe.

would you like a list of young men in Chicago who are shot with a gun?

what is it about the nature of gun culture and the fact that the United States has a vastly higher murder rate than the UK, Western Europe, Australia, etc., precisely because of the wider availability of handguns that you don't understand?

I have posted before on this forum that I am a supporter of the 2nd Amendment in the U.S. Constitution.

And like a hammer, a knife, or an axe...it is the user that directs its use for either good or evil.

The United Kingdom's big mistake is thinking it is the inanimate object that is the evil. Weapons of evil are formed in the heart, not in steel.

Yeah, well I live near a major US city and gun crime is no fooking joke. No one here hunts for food, since we all go to supermarkets. The only thing that guns are used for is to kill people. Most murders in Baltimore and D.C. are gang and drug related.

Don't believe me, Iron Horse. Ask Irvine. He lives in D.C. And I am sure that he is just as sick of hearing every day on the news. That a kid was killed by a gun.

Yeah, well I live near a major US city and gun crime is no fooking joke. No one here hunts for food, since we all go to supermarkets. The only thing that guns are used for is to kill people. Most murders in Baltimore and D.C. are gang and drug related.

Don't believe me, Iron Horse. Ask Irvine. Since, he lives in D.C. I'm sure he is just as sick of hearing, as I am. How many young people are killed by guns.

i've said it before and ill say it again:

legalize, tax, & control drugs and you eliminate the major cause of gun violence.

or even better, MANDATORY marijuana and gun violence will stop period. :D

I feel that laws aren't going to stop a drug dealer from getting a handgun. Hell, most of these guys are busted from illegally possesing weapons.

I feel that laws aren't going to stop a drug dealer from getting a handgun. Hell, most of these guys are busted from illegally possesing weapons.

If we hadn't had such a huge gun lobby and gun culture in America there the black market of guns wouldn't be so readily available. This isn't like drugs, black market guns were made by major manufacturers, they aren't being made in someone's basement. So if laws were in place over a period of time that didn't put certain weapons on the street then yes it would hinder the ability for a drug dealer getting certain kinds of guns. No, not all guns will ever be out of the hands of criminals, we've glorified them too much, we've lobbied for them too much, we've made too much, we've treated them like tools too much, and turn them into toys/entertainment too much... We've basically fucked up.

Yeah. I think we could both agree that there should be some sort of cap on the amount of weapons someone can manufacture.

Back
Top Bottom