Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #31
Jesus Online

Local Time: 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
No contradictions my friend.

This thread is about us. A society that seems to breed violence.
That continues, like you, to avoid the real issue. The real problem.

Waging a war in defense of your life and liberty is another subject.
it is unfortunately very much about 'you' and your culture. Your violent crime rates are phenomenally higher than anywhere else, yet, petty crimes remain amazingly lower than many places around the world. What exactly is wrong with the US? Why are you all so violent? Why are gangs the result of suburbs spilling over with the unemployed and drug dependent? They're not so prevalent in other countries. They're there, and they cause troubles, but not in the numbers they do in the US. Why are children there so tempted to turn to a gun to make their point that they're pissed off or scared? Kids here and other places turn into thuggish bullies who rob shops, steal cars, and beat up their girlfriends, not shoot innocent people.

What the hell is it with the US that fucks up your young people who have drug/unemployment/intellectual disadvantages? You need to find the answer. It's not a brain teaser or trick question.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Harlem View Post
it is unfortunately very much about 'you' and your culture. Your violent crime rates are phenomenally higher than anywhere else, yet, petty crimes remain amazingly lower than many places around the world. What exactly is wrong with the US? Why are you all so violent? Why are gangs the result of suburbs spilling over with the unemployed and drug dependent? They're not so prevalent in other countries. They're there, and they cause troubles, but not in the numbers they do in the US. Why are children there so tempted to turn to a gun to make their point that they're pissed off or scared? Kids here and other places turn into thuggish bullies who rob shops, steal cars, and beat up their girlfriends, not shoot innocent people.

What the hell is it with the US that fucks up your young people who have drug/unemployment/intellectual disadvantages? You need to find the answer. It's not a brain teaser or trick question.

Did I not say?

This thread is about us.

The link was about violent crime rates in the UK, but I was not trying to blame any one country.

I don't need to find the answer.

We need to find the answer.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:08 PM   #33
45:33

i may be ignorant, but i rarely hear of people going on a gun rampage and killing tens of people in countries that have strict laws on ownership. to my knowledge there hasn't been a psychopath in any of our institutions here who has suddenly decided to kill a bunch of people.

i'm not trying to get on people's nerves here, i just wonder.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
i may be ignorant, but i rarely hear of people going on a gun rampage and killing tens of people in countries that have strict laws on ownership. to my knowledge there hasn't been a psychopath in any of our institutions here who has suddenly decided to kill a bunch of people.

Go back and read the link posted.
The UK has very strict gun laws yet gun crime is up.

And please go back and read what I am trying to say here.
The question is what is it about our culture that is breeding to total disregard for life?

What is breeding this violence?
Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 PM   #35
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:03 AM
Quote:
The question is what is it about our culture that is breeding to total disregard for life?

What is breeding this violence?
Lots of things! Everything from racism, worshiping gun culture, economics, celebration of selfishness, etc etc etc
Old 11-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Lots of things! Everything from racism, worshiping gun culture, economics, celebration of selfishness, etc etc etc

OK, lets start with racism.

If racism is what you think is causing this culture of violence.

You wanna post the current crime statistics on black on black crime in the United States?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #37
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
OK, lets start with racism.

If racism is what you think is causing this culture of violence.

You wanna post the current crime statistics on black on black crime in the United States?
There you go being simplistic again. I think racism plays a big role in why minorities make up the majority of the population in ghettos and highly populated poor areas. I also think it plays a role in why they are often ignored.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:18 AM   #38
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i love how a thread about any country, becomes some big america bashing thread.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:42 AM   #39
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:03 AM

For perspective (or not, depending on your assumptions). The international average is 9 per 100,000.

(It's unfortunate they only have state/provincial breakdowns for the US and Canada; would be interesting to at least see those breakdowns for other large countries as well.)

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:08 AM   #40
45:33

what a depressing map of the world.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:43 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

Martin bryant . april 28 1996. Port Arthur.
the reason for our gun control laws.

violence is everywhere, we may not use guns here, but there are alot of dead , or brain dead people who have been beaten to a pulp with fists and or glassed in the face in pub/ street violence recently. Not only is the world a a violent place, your very own home is still most likely to be the place where people face violence on a day to day basis, and you will most likely be assaulted by someone you know.
so how do you tackle that as a society? in australia i believe it is very closley linked to the drinking culture that has insidiously worked its way into evey aspect of our lives here.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:54 AM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious_jen View Post
Martin bryant . april 28 1996. Port Arthur.
the reason for our gun control laws.
exactly.

you've even had this kind of shit go on in new zealand. ultimately, there is a point where you can't legislate against crazy, but you can try to lessen the impact.

i largely agree with the rest of what you said. a lot of the violence here isn't as insidious (if you will, meaning it's more random and not as related to drug dealing etc) and it seems to get brushed off and blamed on alcohol, which isn't helped by the general societal view on drinking in these parts - admittedly moreso in australia.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #43
Refugee

Local Time: 03:03 AM
wow, my area (caribbean) is the darkest of the dark. what a suprise

and yet, gun laws here in the USVI are extremely strict and there are no places to buy guns anywhere on the island. yet people are still shot and killed every weekend. in fact there were 3 that i know of this last weekend.

all the assholes have guns and the law abiding citizens are severly restricted ownership. makes sense.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #44
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
wow, my area (caribbean) is the darkest of the dark. what a suprise

and yet, gun laws here in the USVI are extremely strict
And how long has this been happening?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #45
Refugee

Local Time: 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
And how long has this been happening?

i dont know, ive only been down here a year and change, but from what ive gathered from the locals and people i work with it has gotten real bad in the last decade or so and "never used to be this bad." since ive been here i'd say there has been at least 1 shooting every weekend. people are talking about how they are afraid to go out and all that. i was talking with a co-worker yesterday and he's seen guys sitting out front of their house with mac-11 machine gun in his lap just chilling.

you'll never catch me out without my piece thats for damn sure.

the day time is pretty safe of course, but at night is when the bugs come out from under their rocks.