Crazy shit going on in Indonesia today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlsAloudFan

Blue Crack Addict
27indo3-cnd-articleLarge.jpg

The Mount Merapi volcano erupted (how crazy are volcanoes, anyway?) AND a big ass Tsunami hit, killing at least 100 people. Both events within hours of eachother.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/27/world/asia/27indo.html?src=mv

Stay strong, Indonesia.

Indonesia is located directly on the Ring of Fire. The source of the tsunami was an earthquake deep in the ocean, I believe west of the Sumatra island. Merapi volcano is on the next island over, Java.

My family are mostly in Jakarta, which had been pounded by torrential rain for the past couple of days, causing flood everywhere.

My friends and I are thinking about doing some fund-raising to help out the tsunami and flood victims.

Hello Alma,

I hope yours friends and family are safe, also.

I live on the Ring of Fire

ring.of.fire.gif

IMG_0467.JPG

that sign is across the street from my residence.

We had a tsunami warning last year, there was an earthquake off of Alaska, but it never happened.

Yes, hope your family will make it through this okay :hug:.

Crazy situation. I can't imagine having to deal with the effects from those events all at once-where on earth do you begin (and yeah, volcanoes are pretty freaky. As are tsunamis-I just can't fathom seeing some mass wave of water barreling at you like that. That's gotta be surreal)? Sorry to hear about the loss of life thus far, here's hoping the death toll doesn't rise and people are able to find some way to stay safe. You're all in my thoughts, people of Indonesia.

Angela

Thanks, all. Family is doing ok. At least the neighborhood was not flooded, but some of the major roads were, making commute a headache.

An Indonesian Red Cross volunteer died from the volcanic ashes as he was helping people in the villages near the erupting volcano. :sad:

The tsunami claimed lives of people mostly on the small islands of Mentawai. Apparently it's one of the popular spots for surfing. The people living on the west coast of the big island Sumatra heard the tsunami warning and had time to flee to higher grounds.

And deep, I much prefer the Adam Lambert version of RoF.

Thanks, all. Family is doing ok. At least the neighborhood was not flooded, but some of the major roads were, making commute a headache.

I can imagine. Happy to hear your family's all right and their neighborhood was spared :hug:.

An Indonesian Red Cross volunteer died from the volcanic ashes as he was helping people in the villages near the erupting volcano. :sad:

The tsunami claimed lives of people mostly on the small islands of Mentawai.

:( Sorry to hear that. My condolances to their loved ones.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom