Couple Welcomes 17th Child, Wants More

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In an episode I saw the other night, the mother was going on and on about the innate differences between boys and girls and how she isn't pressuring the girls to be housewives and let their husbands be the heads of the family and breadwinners, it's just that all her girls WANT that.

Now I can accept that there is a proportion of women who do want that. I have a good high school friend who got married as soon as she could (didn't finish her degree) and already has 3 kids with her husband and they're very happy. But you cannot tell me that all EIGHT of her girls want that and have absolutely no other aspiration in life whatsoever. That's just BS. Those kids have no idea about the world outside their front doors, and that's a real pity.

I agree it's a damn shame b/c honestly these kids seem way more well-rounded than I'd expect considering their circumstance. They seem smart and responsible so they could go far if they tried...

I was glad to see that the girls were giving each other perms, wearing make-up, jewelry, etc. Most of the time now they are looking like "normal" teenage girls, really pretty too. I was a bit disturbed and worried for them after the episode where they showed off their "modest" swimwear :huh:

I agree, you can say the same of anyone. But I think it's especially relevant with very large families. I can understand the desire to give birth to your own flesh and blood, someone who is a related, will carry on your dna, etc, but once you get past 3 or 4 children, what's the point? You've already accomplished that. Especially in this day and age, where financial costs are insane, and birth control is readily available. Why not improve the lives of existing children?

I know I said earlier that I'd rather just adopt kids in need but for me it's not even about that either.

I had a "large family" discussion with a good friend and agreed with her - there's no set number, but we think it's too many when kids are raising kids and the mother can no longer be a good mother to each individual child. If you have so many kids that the other ones can't be normal kids because they are doing 12 loads of other people's laundry a day, slaving in the kitchen to feed the other brothers, babysitting the babies...then that's too many kids. I can understand in cultures where birth control is not really an option or large families are necessary economically or for survival, but that's not the case here. Like I said earlier I find it sad that I can spend more one-on-one time a day with my DOGS than she can spend with her children. Personally I would never have so many kids that I couldn't read a story to each one EVERY day, for example.

If I wanted to celebrate life and fertility I'd have my babies and then donate my eggs. :shrug:

I agree it's a damn shame b/c honestly these kids seem way more well-rounded than I'd expect considering their circumstance. They seem smart and responsible so they could go far if they tried...

This reminds me of an episode of that show where families swap wives for a few days. One of those families was a bit like the Duggars (except that they only had a couple of kids), and every change made to their daily routine sent the teenage boy onto a fit of rage.

They may seem well-rounded inside their protective bubble, but watch them crash and burn when they're taken out of their comfort zone.

Uhoh, I just heard something about the Duggars having an announcement coming up on Today

Unless that's some sort of trick and it's not another pregnancy

Jaysus, octomom has a clown car..Mrs. Duggar has a clown double decker bus :wink:

I bet it's the oldest kid who got married that got his wife knocked up.

Of course if they really wanna do it in style, both Mom and daughter-in-law could be pregnant at the same time.

I get this messed up feeling that there whole life is an exhibition. there home is a museum, there lives a living display. Those kids will never be so individual as one in a crowd. They're parents outlook on contraception seems like a cheep cop out so they can continue collecting kids as kids collect cards, as if it is all very amusing fun and games.

I'm probably very wrong.

But that's what it looks like.

They make life seem like something too casual. a family isn't a collection of stamps, it's something unique to treasure.

I bet it's the oldest kid who got married that got his wife knocked up.

Oh I forgot about the son getting married. But I did read in People that the parents are not finished having kids.

You are correct

Duggar family: Another baby on the way! - Parenting & Family

They're 20 and they own and operate a car dealership? Maybe it belongs to the parents-the People article said they own a cell phone tower among other things. They certainly do seem to be hard working and industrious, I give them a :up: for that. They can certainly support their family well, the People article said they have little or no debt and their biggest expense is food.

I've always thought that part of the whole plan with their 26 acres was to section it off so the Duggar jrs can grow clans around Mary and Joseph Duggar, so I guess this shows it is the case, although the article only says the oldest jr Duggar and the girl 'live nearby'.

After a period of supervised courtship, when they were allowed to hold hands but not to kiss, the couple decided to get married.
This, and all their views on marriage and relationships has been my only issue with these people. I'm sure they're all genuinely happy and there will be more successful marriages in this gene pool than any other on the planet, but it doesn't mean it's natural or how humans generally operate.
:slant:

:bump: Get your catcher's mitt ready!
#19 is on the way:

Duggars Expecting Their 19th Child! - Babies : People.com

Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar of Tonitown, Ark., who have 18 children and one grandchild on the way, are expecting a new addition to their household – baby No. 19 will arrive in the spring.

"We are so thrilled," says Michelle, 42. "We just couldn't believe it is happening." Jim Bob, 44, agrees: "This never gets old. We are so grateful for each child. We are looking forward to our first grand baby and our 19th child."

Oldest son Joshua, 21 and his wife Anna, 21, are expecting daughter Mackynzie Renée next month, so she will be older than her new aunt or uncle.

This never gets old? I beg to differ. :yuck:

They couldn't believe it was happening? Please, like they didn't plan on it.

:| What the??? NEver gets old? They're speaking about a pregnancy like it's a thrill ride at an amusement park.

This makes me feel so bad for people who can't conceive.

They're probably hoping to hit 20 before her babymaker wears out. She's 42, how many more can she produce? And just think, the daughter in law is only on her first, they could also have that many. All the kids can. This is why the 'baby refuseniks' need to be worried about being outnumbered. You don't reproduce yourselves and people like this shall inherit the earth. Is that what you want?

The Duggars Expecting 19th Child - News - Yahoo! TV

Check out the site and forum for their religious group, "Quiverfulls"

http://www.fullquivermission.com/forum/

Pfft, everyone knows that the Quiverfulls will never have a chance after the giant ants invade.

I welcome our new Giant Ant Overlords.

It was mentioned earlier that if the mother had breastfed her kids for a natural, proper length (and believe me, I am all for breastfeeding. I myself was breastfed until 18 months), she would've been pregnant far less often. Breastfeeding is a natural form of birth control, because the body knows that if you're still nursing one baby, you don't need to be having more yet.

Breastfeeding is one of the most ineffective forms of birth control out there. Don't count on it.

My wife used to teach piano to a family of 14 children and it was one of the best families I've ever been around. The kids were normal, liked one another and were well liked by others. But their mother could have been a CEO of a F500 company and the dad was a very (VERY) successful salesman, so they had a lot of resources available to them.

The Duggars are ridiculous. If you've ever watched the show, you'll know that it's the oldest girls (not the boys, heaven forbid they did woman's work) who are raising all these babies, and doing all the cooking, cleaning and what have you. Really disturbing situation.

The Duggars are ridiculous. If you've ever watched the show, you'll know that it's the oldest girls (not the boys, heaven forbid they did woman's work) who are raising all these babies, and doing all the cooking, cleaning and what have you. Really disturbing situation.

I have to say, I watch the show whenever I happen to see it, and I agree. The things I read about them are kind of shocking. Very limited TV and internet usage, all dating must go through the father first, all dates must be chaperoned by a parent, girls can't have short hair or wear long pants, girls must stay at home until they get married, girls can't go to college, no physical interaction or kissing until marriage. Plus the dad ran for the US Senate a while back, which means he would have been gone a lot of the time.

I guess I shouldn't judge, and if they're happy and following their religion without hurting anyone... it's just VERY different.

Would you like to see them taken away?

i would like to see some movements in state congress equal to those that would like to prevent gays from adopting to prevent people from having no more than 4 children, because in my religious personal view, children need no more than 3 siblings because they will get confused. every child has one mother than one father -- NOT several older sisters -- and with so many older siblings acting as de facto parents, a child could, again, get confused.

please, think of the children.

With so many fuck ups out there I just find it hard to go after a family that functions well, even though it's different.

^ The Quebec government actually does that in the form of incentives. Not sure what the current programs are but there have been cash bonuses to have babies and top-up of federal income replacement during maternity leave. They also have had $5/day daycare subsidized by the province.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom