Couple Welcomes 17th Child, Wants More - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #76
She's the One

Local Time: 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
And besides that Diamond was not meaning just the Waltons, but that type of large, happy multigenerational family like I described in my post that is now mostly a thing of the past, but that these people seem to be trying to be like.
The Waltons didn't have schedules for parental time.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #77
War Child

Local Time: 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

The Waltons didn't have schedules for parental time.
Remember it's their CHOICE! Don't be so judgemental. They have a right to do what they think is best for their children.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #78
The Fly

Local Time: 02:32 AM
Quote:

Yes, they were. "John Boy" was author Earl Hamner, Jr., and he wrote books about his actual family, like Laura Ingalls Wilder did with "Little House." Though most of what happened on the shows didn't really happen, the families, characters, and general situations were real. I've even seen shows where Hamner's siblings discussed which character on the show was based on them. I've been to the Virigina town where they came from, and saw the museum, and the house. It looks exactly like the one on the TV show, and "Jim Bob" still lives there.

And besides that Diamond was not meaning just the Waltons, but that type of large, happy multigenerational family like I described in my post that is now mostly a thing of the past, but that these people seem to be trying to be like.

I believe "Jim Bob" passed away in 2006. The house was empty.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 AM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:32 AM
Quote:

Yes, they were. "John Boy" was author Earl Hamner, Jr., and he wrote books about his actual family, like Laura Ingalls Wilder did with "Little House." Though most of what happened on the shows didn't really happen, the families, characters, and general situations were real. I've even seen shows where Hamner's siblings discussed which character on the show was based on them. I've been to the Virigina town where they came from, and saw the museum, and the house. It looks exactly like the one on the TV show, and "Jim Bob" still lives there.

gosh, i didn't realize it was a documentary. it couldn't have been sentamentalized for television? were all problems in their lives neatly wrapped up in 43 minutes?

Quote:
yes, nostalgia is quite a seductive thing.

everything was like this before women started voting:

Old 08-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #80
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by ewings

I believe "Jim Bob" passed away in 2006. The house was empty.
What a shame. I didn't know that. But I doubt it's empty with all the grandkids in that family, someone will inherit it, unless they're going to make it another museum.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:26 AM   #81
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
[B]

gosh, i didn't realize it was a documentary. it couldn't have been sentamentalized for television? were all problems in their lives neatly wrapped up in 43 minutes?
No no no, I said I saw one documentary, but that's not all there was to it. Really, there are books written by this guy, years and years of proof, the family was real. Look it up.

http://www.the-waltons.com/home.html
Old 08-07-2007, 11:30 AM   #82
She's the One

Quote:

Remember it's their CHOICE! Don't be so judgemental. They have a right to do what they think is best for their children.
How is what I posted being judgemental? I stated a fact.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #83
She's the One

Quote:

Of course it's their choice. I disagree with it, but I don't support legislation banning it or requiring permission to do it.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #84
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

No no no, I said I saw one documentary, but that's not all there was to it. Really, there are books written by this guy, years and years of proof, the family was real. Look it up.

http://www.the-waltons.com/home.html

so you think everything you saw on the show happened in real life?

you don't know much about television. there's a myth to be manufactured, a brand to protect, an image to be bought into.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 AM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy

i just want to see if oneof them goes off the rails! I wonder if they'll have a tv special on that?
Until a couple of years ago a family much like this one (not quite so large -- but not because the parents didn't try! The woman said she "didn't feel complete unless she was pregnant" ) were my neighbors (it was a rural area, so it was about a quarter mile away). They were home schooled (Bible based, of course) and not allowed to really interact with kids outside their church friends -- they didn't want them to have all those bad influences (the mother actually said that to us, it's not me just making it up).

The family was always very friendly and helpful -- but apparently the kids believed that "God will provide" meant they could take what they wanted, even if it was someone else's property. Those kids would steal anything. Of course their parents did that too. The father got canned for stealing from his employer. Last I heard the three oldest boys had each served time for various theft related charges. In addition the eldest boy and his wife were awaiting trial on charges they beat their infant to death.

They may well have been rotten people with a more secular upbringing too, but their isolated religious one sure didn't make them good. And they can't blame outside influences either (although I bet they do anyway), since the didn't have any.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #86
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:

Where was the judgement?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

i find the poor grammar most offensive.
That's exactly what I was referring to. The rest of the site is full of spelling errors as well.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #88
War Child

Quote:

so you think everything you saw on the show happened in real life?

you don't know much about television. there's a myth to be manufactured, a brand to protect, an image to be bought into.
Uhmmm did you even read my original post?

Quote:

Though most of what happened on the shows didn't really happen, the families, characters, and general situations were real.

There is no 'myth' of the way the family was portrayed on the show, because my own grandparents were raised that way, and I have known a lot of people who came from families just like that. Diamond was only using that scenario for an example, large family, multigenerational, everyone helping, etc. for an example. It's not only the "Waltons" but that type of family, and yes, sorry, they did exist and were happy.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #89
Blue Crack Supplier

oh for chrissakes.

do the waltons take a piss? take a shit? argue? yell at mom? break someone's nose?

no. you see an idealized situation because it is created for ENTERTAINMENT, and the danger is that some people look at ENTERTAINMENT and think, "gosh, it was so nice back then," as opposed to people who actually had to live through life way back when and deal with outhouses and spousal abuse and alcoholism and not having enough money to fucking eat during the depression.

want to bet that there are many miserable intergenerational families? why do you think young adults moved out and got their own places once they had the money post-WW2?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #90
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:32 AM
The Duggars aren't a 'multigenerational' family anyway...just a very large nuclear one.

The Little House books were highly idealized as well (portraying them as far more self-sufficient than they actually were, etc.), there's been quite a lot written about that.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote