Couple Welcomes 17th Child, Wants More

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aren't these kids all home schooled? Which would actually remove the cost from the city. It costs the taxpayers -- what -- an average of $5K per year per kid in the public school system? Doesn't that represents a savings of at least $50K ?

If they are, then I withdraw my asshole comment.
(I believe the public school per kid figure is closer to $10K.)

But, I'm not a fan of the "Be Fruitful and Multiply" crowd though. It's selfish.

But, I'm not a fan of the "Be Fruitful and Multiply" crowd though. It's selfish.

I disagree. If the family is able to support the children they choose to have, I don't really see how it's selfish.

What's going on with the Duggars. . .I don't know that I'd term it selfishness. I don't know what I'd call it, really. Just strange, I guess. I guess not knowing them personally, not even having seen the show or read a complete article, I don't feel it's my place to judge.

:shrug:

Someone else said they did. I'm just asking.

Since I'm "someone else"..their mother is already there and present in their lives. That has nothing to do with gay male parents which is obviously what you are getting at. I happen to think that any loving and competent gay man or couple can do what she does and should be able to. The fact that they can't give birth to them is meaningless in light of how much love they can give them. That has zero to do with a mother deliberately taking a risk of dying and leaving her kids, zero. Irrelevant. God gave us emotional intelligence too and he wants us to use it in making decisions about our family.

And I agree with what Irvine referred to, the gender roles and the girls. It's not my idea of how girls should have to grow up. Not a healthy and balanced situation in 2010. I know how much resentment I had being an only girl and the gender inequality that existed for me, and it doesn't even compare to theirs. That's all they've ever known, but that doesn't mean it's the best situation for them.

I disagree. If the family is able to support the children they choose to have, I don't really see how it's selfish.

Have you seen this show?

The older girls are treated like slaves and are responsible for basically all the housework and for the younger children. They do 98% of the work that the mother would ordinarily do. They did not choose this life and the way they are treated in comparison to the boys in particular is revolting.

The parents are selfish assholes for offloading their brood of children on their other children while keeping them all at home and under wraps and away from the big bad world so that they have no choice but to take on parental roles that they never signed up for.

I get when older kids help out with younger ones but anyone who's seen this show knows that this is absolutely not the case; they are not helping out, they are raising them entirely. Totally inappropriate in my eyes.

Have you seen this show?

The older girls are treated like slaves and are responsible for basically all the housework and for the younger children. They do 98% of the work that the mother would ordinarily do. They did not choose this life and the way they are treated in comparison to the boys in particular is revolting.

The parents are selfish assholes for offloading their brood of children on their other children while keeping them all at home and under wraps and away from the big bad world so that they have no choice but to take on parental roles that they never signed up for.

I get when older kids help out with younger ones but anyone who's seen this show knows that this is absolutely not the case; they are not helping out, they are raising them entirely. Totally inappropriate in my eyes.

I've never seen the show. But, wow. That does sound awful. I'll have to check out some of the Youtube clips.

Just ridiculous.

And the height of selfishness as well - they have a child who is younger than 2, who was born at 25 weeks weighing 1 lb 6oz. who is rather severely developmentally challenged and has a number of physical ailments for which she is repeatedly treated and hospitalized (as recently as last month). On top of that they have 18 other children who need attention and care.

But this is all fine and dandy since they treat their daughters like servants and since the daughters have "jurisdiction" over the babies. What a life.

How many Duggars will we have in 20 more years? :crack:

20 x 20 = 400, if they all grow up to be just like good ol' Jim Bob.

How does she even live with herself? I had a convo with a friend and she was saying sometimes it's a struggle to spend an hour a day with each kid and we were talking about TWO kids. There are only so many hours in the day....how do each of her kids even get five minutes of her time? Oh that's right, they don't because the older daughters are doing all the work...

As someone who values reproductive choice, I'm trying really hard not to judge them for their reproductive choices.

But I am failing. I am judging them so hard.

Reading all the Tweets about this makes me both laugh and nod sadly.

As the world approaches 7 billion people, researchers marvel at the fact that the Duggars made half of them.

Every child deserves to be excited they are a part of life," Michelle tells PEOPLE after just revealing that she is pregnant with her 20th child. "Even when we were having our 5th and 6th [kid] ... we would celebrate each pregnancy."

The reality stars have faced mounting criticism over the size of their family and the risks of Michelle's new pregnancy following the premature birth of their daughter, Josie, in Dec. 2009. But the couple insists that Josie's frightening premature birth and Michelle's life-threatening preeclampsia were not enough to convince them that 19 kids were enough.

"If we felt that way, we would have stopped back with our second birth," insists Michelle, 45, who experienced preeclampsia during her second pregnancy with twins John David and Jana, now 21. "There are many women who have experienced preeclampsia and have gone on to have more children."

"That whole mind set that you stop after a problem pregnancy isn't realistic," she continues. "You may encounter struggles along the way. You may not have a perfect pregnancy, but each child is a precious gift."

The Duggars, who star on TLC's 19 Kids and Counting, live debt free in a house they built themselves in Tontitown, Ark. They have also come under fire from those suggesting that their older kids have too much responsibility caring for the younger ones and that they don't pay enough individual attention to their kids.

"We homeschool, so we are around our children day in and day out," says Jim Bob, 46. "Because I am in real estate, I am home and can be with the children a lot. When we go to the store or run errands, we take the kids one on one and we get to spend more time individually than a lot of parents do."

Michelle, who is under the care of a high-risk pregnancy doctor, agrees: "The beauty of being in a large family," she says, "is that everyone works together as a team and it is about teaching our children responsibility."

And, she says, the family doesn't take their critics to heart.

"There are a lot of good things we can learn from our critics," she says. "We really believe we are following our faith and there are sometimes going to be people who don't agree and we aren't going to worry about the negative things stated."

"We are thankful for those out there who are happy," says Michelle, "and we are grateful for each and every gift of a child."

"That whole mind set that you stop after a problem pregnancy isn't realistic," she continues. "You may encounter struggles along the way. You may not have a perfect pregnancy, but each child is a precious gift."

I'm sorry, but there's something about this comment that makes me want to :banghead:

This is going to sound horribly cruel of me, but when I first heard this news, I figured her body was trying to tell her something. Meaning, stop having kids!

OK, that was mean of me. Miscarriage is sad, no matter what. :yes:

This is going to sound horribly cruel of me, but when I first heard this news, I figured her body was trying to tell her something. Meaning, stop having kids!

OK, that was mean of me. Miscarriage is sad, no matter what. :yes:

I thought the exact same thing when I heard. They need to consider the risk of bringing another baby into the family before she becomes pregnant again, not grieve the almost inevitable loss of a baby.
It's still a loss for the family though, and they have a right to be sad.

That image is just strange...I looked at it for quite a while..the colour version may have been a little more distasteful....I'm wondering what the actual baby looks like too.

I don't know about the online stuff, wouldn't be my choice. But I think everyone deals with grief in their own way, so if that's what they choose to do that's their choice. I do think it's healthy and important for people to talk about miscarriage and the grief and loss of it, my own mother didn't even tell me that she had one until I was well into my twenties.

I didn't want to watch the video but I do think the image there is beautiful :shrug: Maybe that's not the right word, because the child is dead, but I can't think of a more appropriate one. Yes it seems like a very private and personal thing, but so many people these days share so much of that type of thing publicly. I don't know, I can see both positives and negatives.

Back
Top Bottom