Couple Welcomes 17th Child, Wants More - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2008, 09:14 PM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:11 AM
I'm watching them now and they are pissing me off. The kids keep making these really snotty comments about how "when other people" buy shoes and clothes they "go to the mall and buy REALLY EXPENSIVE stuff". Then they did this clip of them at the thrift store and I'm like fuck off kid! You don't know me or what I spend my money on... And then they made these really condescending comments about people who have debt...

Old 12-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #137
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Irreverent? Yes. Possibly offensive? A little. Kinda true? Totally.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:21 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

ha!

Now they are going to some museum that has life sized exhibits of....stuff in the Bible, lol.

I'm done folding the laundry so I don't have to watch anymore!
Old 12-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #139
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
ha!

Now they are going to some museum that has life sized exhibits of....stuff in the Bible, lol.

I'm done folding the laundry so I don't have to watch anymore!
Does it have the bones of the dinosaur that Jesus rode?
Old 12-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #140
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 08:11 PM
^
Old 12-27-2008, 10:36 AM   #141
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 09:11 PM
My only worry with this family is how sheltered the children are. Being home schooled, only spending time with each other and cousins and other religious people. It seems akin to total brainwashing. They have all ideas and opinions based on such a small part of the world they know, and now there are 18! of them which means 18 more families raising their own bucket load of children with skewed views of the world. I mean sure teach them to be loving and respectful and caring and responsible, but its the religous part that gets me worried. Are they total conservatives? Because having those morals out there with 18 kids is freaking scary.

Other then that, I'd love to have a big family. I've always wanted 7 kids. I don't think its going to happen, and 18 is insane but if they're raised with proper love and guidance, then good on them
Old 12-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

In an episode I saw the other night, the mother was going on and on about the innate differences between boys and girls and how she isn't pressuring the girls to be housewives and let their husbands be the heads of the family and breadwinners, it's just that all her girls WANT that.

Now I can accept that there is a proportion of women who do want that. I have a good high school friend who got married as soon as she could (didn't finish her degree) and already has 3 kids with her husband and they're very happy. But you cannot tell me that all EIGHT of her girls want that and have absolutely no other aspiration in life whatsoever. That's just BS. Those kids have no idea about the world outside their front doors, and that's a real pity.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #143
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 08:11 PM
erm . . . why do they all have to be clones . . . :insertshuddersmiliehere:

(see cori's v v funny piccie above )
Old 12-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

Now I really want/need to see that show

I never know when it's on. Maybe it's on On Demand
Old 12-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

It's usually on Monday nights on TLC around 10 pm or so....but every once in a while TLC runs a marathon, like they did the other day.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #146
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Or if you need a gazillion kids, then at least get some that actually need a home!
It took 9 pages of this thread before someone said what I'd been thinking all along. I'm not going to argue about how the kids are raised, what choices they make, or how many there are. But there are tons of kids in this world who would love to have a family, but don't have one. And more than that there are many older kids (preteens and teens) who will probably never get adopted because they aren't little and cute. If you have the space and the love, as these parents say, why not take in one of them - are they not god's children, a precious gift, too?
Or are the only precious children the one's that pop out of your vagina?
Old 12-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #147
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BrightestStar~ View Post
It took 9 pages of this thread before someone said what I'd been thinking all along. I'm not going to argue about how the kids are raised, what choices they make, or how many there are. But there are tons of kids in this world who would love to have a family, but don't have one. And more than that there are many older kids (preteens and teens) who will probably never get adopted because they aren't little and cute. If you have the space and the love, as these parents say, why not take in one of them - are they not god's children, a precious gift, too?
Or are the only precious children the one's that pop out of your vagina?
To be fair though, you can ask the same of anyone having a child or children.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #148
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
I agree, you can say the same of anyone. But I think it's especially relevant with very large families. I can understand the desire to give birth to your own flesh and blood, someone who is a related, will carry on your dna, etc, but once you get past 3 or 4 children, what's the point? You've already accomplished that. Especially in this day and age, where financial costs are insane, and birth control is readily available. Why not improve the lives of existing children?

I dunno. I stopped at one child (although at one point when she was younger, I expressed an interest in fostering, but my ex nixed that idea, and since I've been on my own, it just hasn't been practical). I guess I just can't relate at all to people like these. It seems incredibly selfish to me.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #149
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
I agree.

And personally, I would very much consider it.

But however illogical or unfair it may be, something inside of me just bulks at the idea of you pumping out 17 children, and not *once* considering giving some other poor child a home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I agree, you can say the same of anyone. But I think it's especially relevant with very large families. I can understand the desire to give birth to your own flesh and blood, someone who is a related, will carry on your dna, etc, but once you get past 3 or 4 children, what's the point? You've already accomplished that. Especially in this day and age, where financial costs are insane, and birth control is readily available. Why not improve the lives of existing children?

Again, pretty much what I was thinking. I understand the desire to have children who are related, but at some point - maybe I would go so far as to say it becomes selfish?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #150
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:11 AM
I think though that this "Quiverfull" ideology they're committed to specifically pertains to the couple being perpetually 'open' to their own fertility, not attempting to limit it artificially through contraception (and in their case, apparently going beyond that by weaning early, though I suppose it's possible that she has other reasons for not nursing longer). So at least in theory, it's not only a question of wanting a large number of children. I know that if for some reason we had a goal of adopting, say, 12 kids, we'd certainly also be using contraception, even if we did still want 1 or 2 biological kids, so as to avoid winding up with 25 kids total or so. But presumably for them it's also about 'honoring God's gift of fertility in marriage' which is not something we personally see as imperative.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote