Countdown with Keith Olbermann Is Over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem is that while I tend to agree with most of Olbermann's viewpoints, he just goes about it in such an asinine, smarmy way that completely illegitimizes whatever he's saying.

I'll believe that when I see it. It'll take way more than Olby's departure to turn that place into anything resembling a news outlet. I hear left-wing blowhard Cenk Uygar will be getting a show now, and he's just as bad as the others are.

I see that my joy is shortlived. No more than a couple of hours after your nemesis was let go and you're already frothing at the mouth about a person I've never heard of who is possibly, maybe getting his own show?

Unbelievable.

Chill out and stop watching MSNBC.

I see that my joy is shortlived. No more than a couple of hours after your nemesis was let go and you're already frothing at the mouth about a person I've never heard of who is possibly, maybe getting his own show?

Unbelievable.

Chill out and stop watching MSNBC.

Did you see what I posted? I posted a story about MSNBC's potential turn towards the center and efforts made to appeal to a broader audience. I'm making a point that giving a show to someone in the same mold as the other commentators there may not work. It's part of a discussion. I know you're aware of the attacks on Rush and Beck here, and the names they're called. Is that "whining" to you? I don't see you advocating that they stop the insults and merely turn off the radio.

But you hear that, everyone? No more posting about Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck, since most of you here never listen to them for any significant period of time, if at all. No more posting about Fox News. By anitram's example, just don't watch it.

So no more posts about political entities who we can simply ignore, okay? That should really liven this place up. :up:

I post things that I read about in the paper. For example, Rush's latest racist rant against the Chinese was widely published so that's where I read about it. I don't have FOX or MSNBC - I am never home, don't watch much TV and pay for very few channels and even those are largely a waste of $ for me. So no, I don't watch this stuff and frankly I don't even know where I'd hear Rush Limbaugh even if I did listen to the radio (which I haven't in I don't even know how many years).

Because Rush and Glenn Beck are actual racists who say incendiary things that get published by mainstream papers, many of us will be aware of it without ever having heard or watched their shows.

You, on the other hand, continuously state that you were in fact watching Keith Olbermann, which to me is completely bizarre given how he affects you and how much you hate him. If I read a story about Rush it's while I'm reading the paper and it takes me maybe 2 minutes. Certainly not an hour a day in prime time.

:shrug:

I stopped watching Countdown with KO a couple of months ago because his arrogant, blowhard tendencies finally began to overshadow the entertainment value I got out of the show, but this still doesn't sit right with me, especially since Glenn Beck and Bill O"Reilly still get to stay on the air despite doing a zillion times more obnoxious. I know their ratings are far better than KO's were, but wasn't Countdown the highest or one of the highest rated shows on MSNBC? Love him or hate him, he gave the network an identity. I don't remember anyone giving a crap about MSNBC before KO.

Also, I'm really, really scared they will can Rachel Maddow show's next.

I think it's more than likely that MSNBC was really tired of dealing with his antics and massive ego.

I never watched him so I won't miss him- I wouldn't even if I did watch him. Pompous, annoying, too LOUD.

I don't know how people can say or think that Olbermann is "entertaining" and yet call Limbaugh "obnoxious" in the same sentence. If you ask me, both are about the same, just to different extremes. Glenn Beck too....they are mostly all annoying, arrogant, crazy douchebags.

olbermanns not crazy cuz we agreez wit himz!

I don't know how people can say or think that Olbermann is "entertaining" and yet call Limbaugh "obnoxious" in the same sentence. If you ask me, both are about the same, just to different extremes.

no. they are not the same. the loudest voices on the Right are not matched by the loudest voices on the Left in either tone or content. just like some in here like to pretend that Fox and MSNBC are just two sides of the same coin, they are not. one is a network that has an all-liberal primetime lineup, the other is a well-organized propaganda machine. no other country in the developed world has a network quite like Fox.

Rush is vastly more powerful, and is much more to the Right than Olberman is the left. Olberman also doesn't resort to straight up racism, though i'd argue that overall, Rush is a much more talented showman. but these men don't play in the same league when it comes not only to money politics, but also when it comes to the influence within their respective parties.

it's lazy to sit back and say, "oh, well, they're all the same. crazies on the right and crazies on the left." the crazies on the Right are much, much, much crazier than those on the Left. and they have much, much, much more political influence than those on the Left.

i think the fact that, for the most part, the mouthpieces on the right are much better at what they do than the mouthpieces on the left gives said mouthpieces power... the left has yet to find a dynamic personality who people can rally around to match those on the right. closest they have is jon stewart, who doesn't really want the job.

olbermann's a douche. he's just not as good at being a douche as rush, hannity and beck are. they could right the book on douchebaggery.

I don't like Alec Baldwin either

MSNBC Eyeing Alec Baldwin for Hosting Duties? | PopEater.com

Now that MSNBC has said goodbye to its top draw, Keith Olbermann, the news network is looking to find a new marquee star for its growing brand, and sources tell me their ultimate wish list is topped by none other than '30 Rock' star Alec Baldwin.

"He's already part of the NBC family, has a huge fan base and is very respected for his long term passions for politics," a network source tells me, adding that Alec is very high, perhaps even No. 1, on the wish lists of MSNBC bigwigs.

Alec, who plays a right-leaning media exec on the hilarious '30 Rock,' has expressed political aspirations before. But his recent discussion with CNN host Eliot Spitzer advanced that position.

"Yes, it's something that I'm very, very interested in," Alec, 52, answered when the governor-turned-host asked if politics was a "game" he wanted to enter. "To quit (acting) now when it really feels good and doing it feels good would be an enormously difficult thing to do. However, I do believe that people want to believe that someone who deeply cares about the middle class ... would like to seek public office."

A friend of Alec's tells me that if he opts out of politics (and acting, of course), a career as a cable news opinion host would suit him perfectly.

"He's brilliant on camera and honestly cares about news and fighting for the rights of everyday people," my source believes. "Don't count him out. There was a time when everyone said Alec would never do a sitcom, only movies. Those same people are saying he would never run for office or host a political show."

I will accept an Alec Baldwin show if and only if his co-host is his brother Steven.

83WMt.gif

If I were MSNBC, I would try to give a bucket of cash to Bill Maher, so he could be on five nights a week. Would he leave HBO? Doubt it. But I'd at least try.

My guess is...purely ass-pulled speculation here...that Maher's ego wouldn't mind being back on a nightly basis like Jon Stewart. Hell they could even let him keep his HBO show and during those months he could do Mon-Thu.

Other than that...I don't know who they would replace Keith with that would give them any kind of ratings pull.

I'd be more than happy if we never heard from Olbermann, Limbaugh and especially the ass Maher ever again. And let's not forget celebrities like George Clooney, Angelina Jolie and Sean Penn whose opinions some people care about some some odd reason. Give me a bunch of old farts having a discussion around a table over these pompous asses any day.

no. they are not the same. the loudest voices on the Right are not matched by the loudest voices on the Left in either tone or content. just like some in here like to pretend that Fox and MSNBC are just two sides of the same coin, they are not. one is a network that has an all-liberal primetime lineup, the other is a well-organized propaganda machine. no other country in the developed world has a network quite like Fox.

Rush is vastly more powerful, and is much more to the Right than Olberman is the left. Olberman also doesn't resort to straight up racism, though i'd argue that overall, Rush is a much more talented showman. but these men don't play in the same league when it comes not only to money politics, but also when it comes to the influence within their respective parties.

it's lazy to sit back and say, "oh, well, they're all the same. crazies on the right and crazies on the left." the crazies on the Right are much, much, much crazier than those on the Left. and they have much, much, much more political influence than those on the Left.

No need to call me "lazy" for stating my opinion.

Have a good day.

it is lazy to think that Rush and Olbermann are the same. sorry. :shrug:

I realize they are not "the same"

like i said though, no need to call me "lazy"

Ive been around this world a few times over, lazy is the last assumption you ought to make of me.

ill leave it at that...cheers to you :) :hug:

AP

NEW YORK – Keith Olbermann, who last month abruptly left his MSNBC talk show, is headed to the Current TV public-affairs channel.

Current announced Tuesday that Olbermann will host a nightly prime-time news and commentary show. His program will begin later this year.

The network said Olbermann will also serve as chief news officer and have an equity stake in Current Media.

The outspoken Olbermann had been at MSNBC since 2003, where his nightly "Countdown" was the top-rated program and helped mold that network as a left-leaning alternative to Fox News Channel. But his relationship with network bosses was stormy.

Current, co-founded in 2005 by former Vice President Al Gore, is now revamping its little-seen schedule. The addition of Olbermann could raise its profile among viewers.

What a first show on Current last night.

Two of the Angry, Revolutionary Left's biggest media mouthpieces; Michael Moore and Markos Whatshisface. Keith's rants about the "so-called War on Terror" and the "GOP Cult." Plus, a report on the scandal of conservative talk show hosts promoting, via advertisement, conservative groups such as the Heritage Foundation and Freedom Works...for money. The horror.

If not for the scary notion that some people accept this version of the news as truth--hands down the funniest show on television.

Two of the Angry, Revolutionary Left's biggest media mouthpieces; Michael Moore and Markos Whatshisface. Keith's rants about the "so-called War on Terror" and the "GOP Cult." Plus, a report on the scandal of conservative talk show hosts promoting, via advertisement, conservative groups such as the Heritage Foundation and Freedom Works...for money. The horror.

If not for the scary notion that some people accept this version of the news as truth--hands down the funniest show on television.

I loathe Keith Olbermann, but don't pretend there isn't an entire network of Olbermanns over at Fox and on talk radio, whose audiences also think they're getting an accurate picture.

Olbermann is just following the Fox's wildly successful business model. It is, however, the future of news. People no longer what to try to deduce where a newscaster's inevitable bias come from. It's just easier if you know.

I am familiar with Michael Moore as a name, and I'm not familiar with Whatshisface. And Keith is a man whose articulation catapulted him into promotions above his ability.

Back
Top Bottom