Countdown with Keith Olbermann Is Over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I happened to catch the beginning of his closing segment when he made the announcement. He didn't say why, but MSNBC just stated that they ended their contract.

Weird. Despite the recent suspensions and calls for others there to tone it down (Ed Schultz), I didn't see that coming.

I am honestly happy and relieved to hear this if for no other reason than the fact that I'll no longer have to read 2861U2 whining about Olbermann as if anyone pays attention to what he rants about on the air.

Phew.

now the entire reason the right cites for fox news to exist is gone, can it piss off too?

No, they'll just continue to describe Rush Limbaugh as vital - thank GOD for Rush Limbaugh (as has been stated on this very forum) - for the well-being of the nation.

Nevermind that the man is a proven racist whose latest anti-Chinese rants are also apparently necessary?

RUSH LIMBAUGH (1/19/2011): I'm watching the news conference. ... Hu Jintao is speaking, speaking, and speaking, but no translator. They wait till he finishes. And then they read what he says in toto. And of course, we don't know. Translator could be making it all up. ... When I hear Chinese or Japanese, it sounds like all the same word. And I can't comprehend of anybody understanding it!

LIMBAUGH: I found myself trying to write down what Hu Jintao was saying in Chinese, phonetically, so that I could repeat it to you:

(in bad Chinese accent) Ching chong ching chow chong cha chong chong joo joo chon chong ching ching chong chong chong jee jee caw caw! Che chi che! Jing jong guo ma zhen zhen zhi je zhang ji! Guooooooooo ji jo la ba ba ji chi jo ja!

Nobody was translating!

Now that Olbermann is gone, it would be nice if this turd followed. Fat chance.

COMCAST MAKEOVER: “MSNBC And Keith Olberman Have Ended Their Contract”; Lefty MSNBC About To Make Right Turn? – Deadline.com

"The move is simultaneous with new owner Comcast starting to show its hand over the broadcast network and cable after receiving FCC approval. "He's been very problematic," an NBCU source told Deadline about Comcast's attitude to Olbermann. Officially, the Comcast takeover is next week. But word has been circulating for months now that the new owners have wanted to "tinker" with MSNBC and had many changes in store, including a right turn for the left-wing cable channel so that it represents both political points of view more evenly. It is well known that both Comcast chief Brian Roberts and NBCU chief Steve Burke have donated heavily to the Republican party with Burke more recently donating money to a few Democrats as well as heavily to Republicans. Roberts was a co-chairman of the host committee at the 2000 Republican Convention while Burke raised at least $200,000 for George W Bush’s re-election campaign."

I'll believe that when I see it. It'll take way more than Olby's departure to turn that place into anything resembling a news outlet. I hear left-wing blowhard Cenk Uygar will be getting a show now, and he's just as bad as the others are.

Wow, that completely threw me for a loop. I've watched him nearly every night simply because I didn't have to fact check everything he said - Unlike some we all know.
He'll be back, either on his on channel or radio. Then again, he's probably going to write a book. :hmm:

I saw that bit about Rush and the Chinese stuff on TV last night. What. The. Hell?

That guy really needs to just not talk for a while. A very, very long while.

Anywho, just saw the story about Keith on Yahoo! earlier. Very surprised to hear that, especially since it was so abrupt an ending. Curious to know what exactly the deal was, 'cause I keep hearing conflicting reports.

I did watch his show off and on over the years, so it's a bit of a shame to see it go. But like sue said, he'll definitely find something else to do.

Angela

I got to where I couldn't stand to even see his pompous face. That fucking smarmy protruding jaw/underbite smirk...I used to watch him occasionally. Especially when I was so incredibly angry about the Iraq War in 03/04. But then he just got so incredibly douchey.

I was watching the election coverage ('06, I think) and Scarborough said something that was not only 'tame' but I thought spot-on and Keith mocked him on the air, something about grabbing another "shovel" (for his bullshit). That was the last straw for me.

He (and Ed Schultz) could learn a thing or two from Rachel or Lawrence.

And it's ironic (to me at least) that while Bill-O (rightfully, IMO) seems to earn more cred for being relatively fair and being somewhat sane that Keith was headed in the exact opposite direction.
Nice job, Olbie, stay away from Sportscenter, please.

The important stuff here is really not Keith Blowhard-berman (eugh) being off the air.

It's not about Fox News.

It's not about MSNBC.

It's about Comcast and however much they contributed to your local politicians' campaigns recently, regardless of party affiliations.

They'll be gunning for Netflix next. Comcast is a cable provider, they built a shit-ton of infrastructure to provide net service, and now they're going to push their internet preferences on you. Hey, remember how you hated paying too much for a cable package? This will be your internet service in several years. Want Youtube/Vevo, uStream, etc? Gotta buy 'em bundled with the Premium Service bundle!

Hey maybe if the American public gets their Netflix Queue or Redbox inalienable rights infringed on they'll actually give a shit about the money flowing into Washington instead of being drawn into the left v. right smokescreen. :wave:

what baffles (and humours) me is i cannot fathom why someone who didn't like olbermann would watch him. i can't stand two and a half men, so i just don't watch it.
i know! it's beaten over our heads time and time again in this very forum that we shouldn't watch fox news because we don't agree with it, it annoys us, etc etc, but with the shoe on the other foot we're supposed to be sympathetic?

I just see this as a failure of the common folk to see who is behind their media idols/enemies and bother to give an F about who is really shaping the current political climate and coverage.

Fox News and Rush is just a symptom of the problem, not the enemy, folks.

I just see this as a failure of the common folk to see who is behind their media idols/enemies and bother to give an F about who is really shaping the current political climate and coverage.

Fox News and Rush is just a symptom of the problem, not the enemy, folks.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

No, they'll just continue to describe Rush Limbaugh as vital - thank GOD for Rush Limbaugh (as has been stated on this very forum) - for the well-being of the nation.

Nevermind that the man is a proven racist whose latest anti-Chinese rants are also apparently necessary?

Now that Olbermann is gone, it would be nice if this turd followed. Fat chance.

Unfortunately, Rush is a long-running establishment in radio media. IMHO, he foments hateful rhetoric and ignorance to his mass audience. It's really sad state of reality when someone like him gets paid millions so he can stir up the disenfranchised and in turn, mislead them to acquiesce to the power base of the very power party that keeps the disenfranchised down.

On the other hand, having MSNBC let go Olbermann... says something about the man, however off-putting he may be to some, who is described as "anti-establishment" by the media, and a "left-leaning" corporation that cannot put up with his "self-righteous" passion and sensibilties.

Though some may compare him to O'Reilly and other Fox counterparts, at least, Olbermann can back up his facts and call out those who are "misinformed." ... I've seen him disagree with his guests at times, but he takes it civilly and doesn't get into a shouting debate match (like some on Fox). He just lets his expertise guests to illuminate his points and inquiries.

I think his "obnoxiousness" appears in his TV personality serves the news with biting sarcasm and "arrogance"/"deep convictions/passion"... He can hit the nail on the truth and serve it with a sting uncomfortable for most to admit.

In any case, I think what I'm trying to get at is... if a "left-leaning" corporation can't stand a left "extremist" who sets his own program... then that makes Olbermann an "intellectual rebel."

Unlike Beck and O'Reilly, Olbermann knows which fights to pick and when to bow out.

In the end, he signed off civilly, with class and gratitude.

The important stuff here is really not Keith Blowhard-berman (eugh) being off the air.

It's not about Fox News.

It's not about MSNBC.

It's about Comcast and however much they contributed to your local politicians' campaigns recently, regardless of party affiliations.

They'll be gunning for Netflix next. Comcast is a cable provider, they built a shit-ton of infrastructure to provide net service, and now they're going to push their internet preferences on you. Hey, remember how you hated paying too much for a cable package? This will be your internet service in several years. Want Youtube/Vevo, uStream, etc? Gotta buy 'em bundled with the Premium Service bundle!

Hey maybe if the American public gets their Netflix Queue or Redbox inalienable rights infringed on they'll actually give a shit about the money flowing into Washington instead of being drawn into the left v. right smokescreen. :wave:

I was wondering why this story wasn't making the news more, I've been rather nervous about this idea, too. It amazes me that so many monopolies continue to pop up despite the idea that they're technically not really, you know, legal. Or at least, they're supposed to be frowned upon.

That's really depressing if that scenario will be what it takes to get people to finally pay attention.

Angela

Might be because there's a whole heap of mess in the bundle... monopoly, net neutrality, freedom of speech, fettered dissemination of information flow, voices being heard or suppressed, have and have-nots, political power plays... all under the command of one big corp.

In its extreme, might as well make everyone give up on entertainment media... and return to ancient days of becoming involved in home community and personal connections... OMG!

Unfortunately, Rush is a long-running establishment in radio media. IMHO, he foments hateful rhetoric and ignorance to his mass audience. It's really sad state of reality when someone like him gets paid millions so he can stir up the disenfranchised and in turn, mislead them to acquiesce to the power base of the very power party that keeps the disenfranchised down.

On the other hand, having MSNBC let go Olbermann... says something about the man, however off-putting he may be to some, who is described as "anti-establishment" by the media, and a "left-leaning" corporation that cannot put up with his "self-righteous" passion and sensibilties.

Though some may compare him to O'Reilly and other Fox counterparts, at least, Olbermann can back up his facts and call out those who are "misinformed." ... I've seen him disagree with his guests at times, but he takes it civilly and doesn't get into a shouting debate match (like some on Fox). He just lets his expertise guests to illuminate his points and inquiries.

I think his "obnoxiousness" appears in his TV personality serves the news with biting sarcasm and "arrogance"/"deep convictions/passion"... He can hit the nail on the truth and serve it with a sting uncomfortable for most to admit.

In any case, I think what I'm trying to get at is... if a "left-leaning" corporation can't stand a left "extremist" who sets his own program... then that makes Olbermann an "intellectual rebel."

Unlike Beck and O'Reilly, Olbermann knows which fights to pick and when to bow out.

In the end, he signed off civilly, with class and gratitude.
:up: wonderful post, solemole.

I was wondering why this story wasn't making the news more, I've been rather nervous about this idea, too. It amazes me that so many monopolies continue to pop up despite the idea that they're technically not really, you know, legal. Or at least, they're supposed to be frowned upon.

That's really depressing if that scenario will be what it takes to get people to finally pay attention.
exactly. i suppose they buy the right kind of companies - a company will own a cable service, couple tv stations (one free-to-air and a couple cable channels), isp...a little bit of everything in the entertainment industry. somehow this is okay but every cable channel merging into one isn't.

it's high time everyone stepped back and looked at how much shit (for example) time warner owns. sure they don't own every tv station or whatever example you want to pick, but these conglomerates own enough to do exactly what canadiens mentioned. it's not like i want everything to be separate and run out of tiny bedrooms, but it shouldn't be allowed to get to the huge state it is now.

maybe it should get to that state so finally the average person will give a damn. no 12 year old is going to want to pay to be able to upload a video of themselves in their boxers rapping along to some random song.

No shit.

Has the word "monopoly" been uttered by anyone in the last ten years?

This should be like hostage trading - now Fox have to throw one overboard.

Why? It's a false choice. I've heard the "We'll get rid of MSNBC if you get rid of FNC" argument a number of times from the left, and I don't know what good it would do anybody.

Fox is booming. MSNBC is failing. I think that's all there is to it. :shrug:

Not happy about this at all. Yeah, Keith is a blowhard, but it's entertaining television. And it seems this is about Comcast taking over which really sends a chill down my spine.

At least there's still Rachel Maddow. She's great.

Also we will always have this. Ben Affleck is Keith Olbermann

This should be like hostage trading - now Fox have to throw one overboard.

If only that were true. Bye Glenn!

I've never thought there's anything wrong with blatantly biased news organisations. Bias in the media has, to state the obvious, been around forever. With these incarnations, it's open, it's obvious, who cares. But blatantly stupid news organisations do no-one any favours. So my beef with Fox and MSNBC would not be anything to with overt political bias, but all to do with overt dumbing down. And CNN has been stupid enough to follow - its a shadow of what it was ten years ago.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about Net Neutrality yet.

4304475818_e9bd7a3872.jpg

America is slowly turning into Philadelphia?

I don't know how people can say or think that Olbermann is "entertaining" and yet call Limbaugh "obnoxious" in the same sentence. If you ask me, both are about the same, just to different extremes. Glenn Beck too....they are mostly all annoying, arrogant, crazy douchebags.

Bill Maher, on the other hand, now that guys is funny. And he makes no secret of his intentions. Colberet and Stewart are good as well, but they are not Bill Maher.

I don't really know why the Republicans don't have someone as entertaining, likeable, yet on point like the left does. I suppose the potential humor would go against the traditional right's penchant for wrapping everything up in Jesus with their "3 - G's"
(God, Gun's, & Gays). I suspect that Bill O'Rielly is the best thing the right has got, maybe even Dennis Miller *if* he had a bigger voice.

Yeah Olbermann gone....no big loss there....sorry.

Back
Top Bottom