Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Indeed. What, being ethical and appropriate to her means saying calmly and compassionately as possible, "sorry kid, you better change or else you're going to hell" ?
In fairness it probably would be something more like: "You know you can change!"

But still.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
She's the One

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Augusta State University

In an interview Wednesday on "CNN NewsRoom," David French, a senior counsel with the Alliance Defense Fund, said all Keeton did "was express her religious views inside of class and outside of class."
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post

If she's not willing to change her views then she should transfer to private Christian school that will allow her to complete their program.
Bingo.

I think I've said it somewhere before: Public school= Public ideas. If she wants to talk about her religion that way, take it to a private school.

Poor persecuted thing. God help (literally) the people who go to her for counseling.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Bingo.

I think I've said it somewhere before: Public school= Public ideas. If she wants to talk about her religion that way, take it to a private school.

Poor persecuted thing. God help (literally) the people who go to her for counseling.
Hopefully she'd work at a Christian counseling center where the people who go would know what they're getting.

As a Christian, I'm embarrassed that these are the sad facts.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:28 PM   #19
She's the One

Sean, of all people, you have no reason to ever be embarrassed by your faith.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I agree with you. However, I'm betting that she feels her beliefs are not just her private concern but a moral standard that applies to everyone.
I'm sure she feels that way, which is basically the problem.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

One of the big things that is taught ad nauseum in counselling programs (clinical psych, social work, etc) is that a counsellor must be self aware, and acknowledge their biases (everyone has them), and be able to set them aside to work with clients that might arouse those biases. But the thing is, one has to be self aware and mature enough to recognize that there might be issues for which they're unable to do so, and in that case, they have to step aside and let another counsellor work with the client (eg: not everyone can work with pedophiles or abusers). As a counsellor, to give yourself a reality check and keep yourself honest, it's encouraged that you take part in some sort of supervision, where you regularly meet with another counsellor and discuss any personal issues you're having, and how you're handling any difficult cases you might be working on.

I'm not sure what sort of degree this woman is working on (maybe an M.Ed in Counselling?), but that could affect the work setting available to her after graduation, and there may not BE another counsellor available to take over clients she can't work with. As well, in the entire field, cultural sensitivity is paramount. It just seems like a really odd fit for a woman with a belief system like that, to want to enter that kind of work, unless it was to push her agenda.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

the lead article in this thread
can lead one to be sympathetic to Keeton

Quote:
French said Keeton has repeatedly told the counseling department she would uphold the valid code of ethics of the American Counseling Association.
Asked how Keeton would respond in a hypothetical situation of a child coming to her and saying he was gay, French said Keeton would respond in an "ethical and appropriate way."

French said the counseling department has imposed its own set of values to "cleanse" Christianity from students' belief system, violating its own ethics code.
When Nevins mentioned that Keeton espoused "conversion therapy," French said the allegation was unsubstantiated.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I think she will have a good shot with a jury in Georgia.

YouTube - Renounce Jesus Christ or Get OUT!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

On the one hand, I think it disingenuous of the Alliance Defense Fund and Keeton to suggest that she's been told to "denounce Jesus Christ or get out." That kind of warping of the truth really bugs me. They do expect her to change her views on homosexuality, but that's not the equivalent of denouncing Jesus--at least to those asking her to take the remediation class.

At the same time, she is sincere, for whatever that's worth. I appreciate her desire to share her faith, but she should understand that homosexuality aside, her job is not the appropriate place to do that. If it's really that important to her then she needs to be a counselor in a Christian setting. That's why I've chosen to teach in Christian schools--at least in part because I'm able to share my faith in a way that I couldn't in a public school.