Could the U.S. Split Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
martha said:

We don't all have to take Canadian weather, do we? :yikes:

anitram said:

No, but you do have to keep Celine Dion. We don't want her back.

:lol:

Axver said:

That's not the case at all. Canada and Australia - and the other Commonwealth countries - are all entirely sovereign and the UK does not exercise any sovereignty over them. Elizabeth II is separately Queen of the UK and, say, Queen of Australia.

And she's all over our money. :angry:

I don't think the U.S. is on the verge of spitting up at all, even though things currently seem rather divisive and polarised. Sometimes, it's in those very moments that great solutions are found and ideas are born. We've been close to Quebec sovereignty a couple of times in Canada. There's also talk now of Alberta's unease, and the same here in Newfoundland...two other provinces in Canada. The irony is, for those looking in from the outside, Canada is the epitome of a strong and vibrant country....which it is, ultimately.

Internal dialogue and discord can be a very progressive thing, if it's processed correctly. Although the U.S. situation appears volatile in almost every facet at the moment, I prefer to think of it as a beginning rather than an end. Besides, the US will be needing all of the unity it can muster in the coming years...after it goes after our Canadian water. :wink:

I'm thinking Celine Dion clones at the border.

Pearl said:
Why not? It's too far away from the mainland. My parents went there recently and they say there's a sense in Hawaii that it is not part of the US, as in its is own country.

How about Alaska as well? That is also too far away from the mainland to be considered, I believe, part of America.

Given their small populations, I don't see how they would be able to come up with the huge amount of spending required for national defense and social services. At a minimum, they would have to pay a super-high tax rate.

RUSSIAN ANALYST PREDICTS DECLINE AND BREAKUP OF USA
Tue Nov 25 2008 09:04:22 ET

A leading Russian political analyst has said the economic turmoil in the United States has confirmed his long-held view that the country is heading for collapse, and will divide into separate parts.

Professor Igor Panarin said in an interview with the respected daily IZVESTIA published on Monday: "The dollar is not secured by anything. The country's foreign debt has grown like an avalanche, even though in the early 1980s there was no debt. By 1998, when I first made my prediction, it had exceeded $2 trillion. Now it is more than 11 trillion. This is a pyramid that can only collapse."

The paper said Panarin's dire predictions for the U.S. economy, initially made at an international conference in Australia 10 years ago at a time when the economy appeared strong, have been given more credence by this year's events.

When asked when the U.S. economy would collapse, Panarin said: "It is already collapsing. Due to the financial crisis, three of the largest and oldest five banks on Wall Street have already ceased to exist, and two are barely surviving. Their losses are the biggest in history. Now what we will see is a change in the regulatory system on a global financial scale: America will no longer be the world's financial regulator."

When asked who would replace the U.S. in regulating world markets, he said: "Two countries could assume this role: China, with its vast reserves, and Russia, which could play the role of a regulator in Eurasia."

Asked why he expected the U.S. to break up into separate parts, he said: "A whole range of reasons. Firstly, the financial problems in the U.S. will get worse. Millions of citizens there have lost their savings. Prices and unemployment are on the rise. General Motors and Ford are on the verge of collapse, and this means that whole cities will be left without work. Governors are already insistently demanding money from the federal center. Dissatisfaction is growing, and at the moment it is only being held back by the elections and the hope that Obama can work miracles. But by spring, it will be clear that there are no miracles."

He also cited the "vulnerable political setup", "lack of unified national laws", and "divisions among the elite, which have become clear in these crisis conditions."

He predicted that the U.S. will break up into six parts - the Pacific coast, with its growing Chinese population; the South, with its Hispanics; Texas, where independence movements are on the rise; the Atlantic coast, with its distinct and separate mentality; five of the poorer central states with their large Native American populations; and the northern states, where the influence from Canada is strong.

He even suggested that "we could claim Alaska - it was only granted on lease, after all." Panarin, 60, is a professor at the Diplomatic Academy of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and has authored several books on information warfare.

DRUDGE REPORT: RUSSIAN ANALYST PREDICTS DECLINE AND BREAKUP OF USA 2008�

Its funny, whenever I think about the US splitting up into separate countries, I think about the same regions.

Minus a few interferencers I wouldn't mind California falling off and becoming an island in the pacific...:shifty:

A deal on maple syrup, eh? :hmm:

We Californians wouldn't mind either.

We'd be a member of the "G20" all on our lonesome WITHOUT the rest of the US dragging us down.

I guess these predictions run the gamut from a North American Union all the way to a split up of the US. This Russian guy seems a bit wacky.

I'd be okay with Washington State being annexed by British Columbia. Then I wouldn't need to deal with the border crossing to go to Vancouver.

... and be able to easily obtain over-the-counter Tylenol with codeine! :hyper:

This Russian guy seems a bit wacky.

I agree, but it is an interesting reminder that our "experts" are, quite often, cheerleaders for the country and culture they come from. I think it is even the case in the U.S. too, to a degree.

It's just a good reminder to have a healthy dose of reason, logic, and skepticism over what you read, because this guy probably echoes the Russian view of the world around them, where they are still at the center, much like Americans see themselves as the center.

Yeah this guy seems a little off, not to mention racist, and I have to question how much time he's actually spent here...

But he was right about Texas, the independence movements are on the rise, they enlisted two new members this year. Of course they were both born into the club, and one past away so it about evens out...

He definitely overestimates the ethnic divide in the US (Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans). I guess he doesn't realize Obama was just elected President.

^^^How does that relate to the idea of the U.S. splitting up?

Are you saying because the South voted Republican, they might want to try to secede again someday?

^^^How does that relate to the idea of the U.S. splitting up?

Are you saying because the South voted Republican, they might want to try to secede again someday?

Yes, I can see that as something that might happen in the future.
Although it's been over a hundred years, there are still deep divides between the North and South concerning the role of the Federal govenment and States rights.

Although it's been over a hundred years, there are still deep divides between the North and South concerning the role of the Federal govenment and States rights.

I think if carefully polled you would find there would be more of a divide of culture, race, phobias and other social issues more than the roll of government.

Minus a few interferencers I wouldn't mind California falling off and becoming an island in the pacific...:shifty::

padner' you bitter smile when you say that! :love: SF, got nice fam in Cuppertino, and the BIG redwoods!

:wink:

A deal on maple syrup, eh? :hmm:

:lol::lol:

I tottaly forgot i posted here! back in Jan!

:sigh: (it's been too loooonnnggg a year, for moi- but at least the near end is spectacular)! :fireworks:

Back
Top Bottom