Could she be the key to the fountain of youth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
Scientists are hoping to gain new insights into the mysteries of ageing by sequencing the genome of a 17-year-old girl who has the body and behaviour of a tiny toddler.

Brooke Greenberg is old enough to drive a car and next year will be old enough to vote — but at 16lb in weight and just 30in tall, she is still the size of a one-year-old.

Until recently she had been regarded as a medical oddity but a preliminary study of her DNA has suggested her failure to grow could be linked to defects in the genes that make the rest of humanity grow old.

If confirmed, the research could give scientists a fresh understanding of ageing and even suggest new therapies for diseases linked to old age.

Girl frozen in time may hold key to ageing - Times Online

But she has also suffered a succession of life-threatening health problems, including strokes, seizures, ulcers and breathing difficulties — almost as if she were growing old despite not growing up.

That's the tipoff, right there. More dumb media reporting about shit they don't understand. Does anyone think a 17 year old 'baby' is in fact a baby?

“Just possibly it could give us an opportunity to answer the question of why we are mortal.”

Don't even know where to start with that one.

I truly wonder if they aren't barking up the wrong tree altogether with this one. Aren't robust centenarians - a not undocumented group - a more relevant sample for this kind of thing?

That's the tipoff, right there. More dumb media reporting about shit they don't understand. Does anyone think a 17 year old 'baby' is in fact a baby?

Well, I think this is understandable given the fact that you are exposing 17 years of life and wear on a body that wasn't designed to do so. I don't think anyone is arguing the fact if she is indeed a baby or not...

But, it is facinating that something as simple as her baby teeth being able to last 17 years.

It's a sad yet intriguing story at the same time.

There was a special on her on the Discovery Health Channel the other night.

Why can't people just age gracefully? It seems to me that this is more about her cosmetic aspect than actual organ repair or cures or whatever.

Anyway, I had to turn it off. I can't watch stories like this for too long. We get kids in here all the time who are more helpless than a newborn and it just gets me in a weird mood.

People are obsessed with youth because they don't want to die.

Humans are already living way beyond their appropriate life span.

Perhaps we should spend billions on keeping dogs alive for 25-30 years, with research, special meds, supplements and around the clock care givers.

I saw a show a while back that said the secret to prolonged life span is having children later in life. It wont benefit the parent generation, but if filial generations follow suit, the result is a gradual, but significant lengthening of lifespan. At least thats how it works in fruit flies, rats, etc

Why can't people just age gracefully? It seems to me that this is more about her cosmetic aspect than actual organ repair or cures or whatever.

How is this more about her cosmetic aspect? Every aspect of her is essentially frozen in time, inside and out, yet able to endure for the most part a timeline it wasn't "designed" for...

I saw a show a while back that said the secret to prolonged life span is having children later in life. It wont benefit the parent generation, but if filial generations follow suit, the result is a gradual, but significant lengthening of lifespan. At least thats how it works in fruit flies, rats, etc

Number of U.S. births to mothers under 20: 533,00
Number of U.S. births to mothers over 35: 368,000

Number of U.S. births to mothers under 20: 441,000
Number of U.S. births to mothers over 35: 603,000

:hmm:

washingtonpost.com

How is this more about her cosmetic aspect? Every aspect of her is essentially frozen in time, inside and out, yet able to endure for the most part a timeline it wasn't "designed" for...

I would be interesting to see her situation on 20, 40, 60, 80 years

But she has also suffered a succession of life-threatening health problems, including strokes, seizures, ulcers and breathing difficulties — almost as if she were growing old despite not growing up.

What good are her insides then? Normal 16-year-old children don't have these issues. The fact that her organs have remained "small" cannot really help most people, if any because nature has gone as far as it can go from infancy to puberty. There's no lengthening that timeframe.

What good are her insides then? Normal 16-year-old children don't have these issues. The fact that her organs have remained "small" cannot really help most people, if any because nature has gone as far as it can go from infancy to puberty. There's no lengthening that timeframe.

Do you not think that if one can find the reason for halting development one can be one step closer to finding out how to stop or accelerate development of all sorts of things?

Everything from slowing down the aging process of skin, or accelerating brain development. We don't know, but that's excitement of finding such an anomaly.

This isn't just about "small", small is fairly common, this is about not aging or not developing, this is not common at all. And it's not just about a "fountain of youth", what if this can lead to stop the spreading or development of certain cancers, finding a way to develop the brains of those that are mentally retarded, etc...

Back
Top Bottom