Confederate Flag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
I didn't want the other thread to go off topic, so I wanted to create a separate thread for all flag discussion.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Apparently it was removed from the capital this morning.

It's been a long time coming.

Once again like a lot of discussions regarding race, this discussion has proven to bring out the hypocrisy in some. I actually have an outspoken person on my fbook page that has posted a dozen articles about this topic. He'll post one article about how the flag is not a symbol of racism, then 5 minutes later an article about the flag is actually a part of the Democratic Party and they are the racists. Then goes on a rant about how the progressive left will remove everything they hate about his culture and we should pray, then praises the removal since it was ordered by a republican.

I'm not sure how to feel about all this debate over the Confederate flag. My gut instinct is that focusing on the flag is something of an empty or placatory gesture that distracts from much more serious issues involving race and class in this country.

On top of that, if we are going to apply the logic that a flag under which atrocities have been committed needs to be expunged from the public record, then the US flag, or the flag of essentially any other country or region on earth, would have to be in jeopardy as well.

I'm not sure how to feel about all this debate over the Confederate flag. My gut instinct is that focusing on the flag is something of an empty or placatory gesture that distracts from much more serious issues involving race and class in this country.

On top of that, if we are going to apply the logic that a flag under which atrocities have been committed needs to be expunged from the public record, then the US flag, or the flag of essentially any other country or region on earth, would have to be in jeopardy as well.

But I don't think it's so much that "atrocities happened under that flag", this flag is a symbol of a failed revolution that was fighting for the right to continue such atrocities.

But I don't think it's so much that "atrocities happened under that flag", this flag is a symbol of a failed revolution that was fighting for the right to continue such atrocities.

I think that's an oversimplification of the Civil War. There's this prevailing wisdom in the northern US at least that you can break it down to north = good; south = bad. History is never that tidy, nor was the Civil War exclusively about slavery, nor was the north some kind of paradise for African Americans. I don't think someone identifying with the Confederate flag automatically makes them a racist (though of course it is often symptomatic of racism) or of suspect loyalties to the union.

I think that's an oversimplification of the Civil War. There's this prevailing wisdom in the northern US at least that you can break it down to north = good; south = bad. History is never that tidy, nor was the Civil War exclusively about slavery, nor was the north some kind of paradise for African Americans. I don't think someone identifying with the Confederate flag automatically makes them a racist (though of course it is often symptomatic of racism) or of suspect loyalties to the union.

I agree with you on most counts, but slavery was THE priority of states rights that drove us to war.

Do I think all those that identify with the confederate flag are racists? No. Do I question their understanding of the flag? Yes.

In addition to its history, it's been adopted by racists organizations as one of its symbols. The swastika was not originally a symbol solely of the nazis, but history has overshadowed any previous meanings it's had.

The "states rights" argument is bullshit when you consider that the South fought tooth and nail to get the North to enforce the Fugitive Slave Act. The South was happy to use federal power when it benefitted slavery. Yes, the North was still pretty racist (most people at the time were racist) but the South solely fought for slavery. It's mentioned in almost all (and I only say almost all because I'm not sure if every state mentioned slavery in their secession manifestos) of the secession documents and many leaders of the Confederacy spoke out about how the war was about the right to own slaves. The Lost Cause narrative is a myth. The war was about slavery.

320px-Confederate_LGBT_Flag.svg.png

In addition to its history, it's been adopted by racists organizations as one of its symbols. The swastika was not originally a symbol solely of the nazis, but history has overshadowed any previous meanings it's had.

I see your point. With these things, though, I think the meaning of such imagery is 50% historical and 50% personal interpretation. Regarding the swastika, I seem to recall a case, perhaps in the UK, where a Hindu group successfully fought against a proposed ban on it through the argument that Nazi imagery should not supercede the religious-cultural meaning the symbol had for them.

In any case, maybe the way to look at the issue of the Confederate Flag is: what effect does its presence have on someone of African-American heritage? I imagine it is disturbing. But, again by that logic, someone of Chinese descent might find the California state flag disturbing on account of the torture their ancestors faced while working in near-slave conditions on railroads and other projects.

it seems clear, though. it's the specific flag of a specific part of the United States that wanted secession from the union, and the result was a war that killed upwards of 600,000 Americans on their own soil. it's not a country, it's rooted in any religious symbolism like the swastika.

i take the point that most southerners have strong feelings, because unlike the rest of the United States, they actually know what it feels like to have spilled blood, and lost, on their own soil. the rest of the world has populations that still hate each other over things that happend 500 years ago, if not more. this is quite recent history, and i don't expect a land that was devastated to get over something so quickly. i can appreciate the fact that the flag does stand, for them, as as symbol of people who fought back against an invading army. politics melts away when you're defending your home.

that's why it belongs in a museum. i may never say this again, but i agree with Jeb Bush.

I see your point. With these things, though, I think the meaning of such imagery is 50% historical and 50% personal interpretation. Regarding the swastika, I seem to recall a case, perhaps in the UK, where a Hindu group successfully fought against a proposed ban on it through the argument that Nazi imagery should not supercede the religious-cultural meaning the symbol had for them.

The swastika goes back thousands of years and is well documented as having holy meaning in both religious and secular literature throughout history.

Unless I missed something in a religious history class and the Stars and Bars was worshipped by a Native American tribe as a holy symbol, these two situations aren't remotely comparable.

The history of the symbols doesn't matter because the nature of symbolism is to be fluid. What matters is the multiplicity of interpretations in the present. Banning or discouraging the Confederate flag does nothing to ease racism and racial tension in the south the same way that restricting the swastika in Europe has done little to nothing to obstruct Neo-Nazism and other far-right groups.

Banning or discouraging the Confederate flag does nothing to ease racism and racial tension in the south the same way that restricting the swastika in Europe has done little to nothing to obstruct Neo-Nazism and other far-right groups.

Somewhat agreed. What's interesting to note that in Germany, many supporters of far-right ideology have taken to use the Confederate flag in place of the swastika. Or so I've heard.

Banning or discouraging the Confederate flag does nothing to ease racism and racial tension in the south the same way that restricting the swastika in Europe has done little to nothing to obstruct Neo-Nazism and other far-right groups.

This isn't about ending racism. This is about ending government sponsored racism. That flag flying on the capital grounds in South Carolina sends a horrible message to the rest of the country and to the world. It represents a white supremacist regime and I'm glad it's coming down, even though it should've never been put up there during the 50s in the first place.

Iyup, I feel like you're grasping at straws here to make a point. And I see what that point is, but wouldn't you agree that the standard practice is that the defeated in a war don't usually continue to fly their flags after the war's end?

I don't think that, in the year 2015, flying the Confederate flag or displaying it has anything whatsoever to do with loyalty or lack thereof to the United States government.

I don't think that, in the year 2015, flying the Confederate flag or displaying it has anything whatsoever to do with loyalty or lack thereof to the United States government.

It's interesting that the people who claim to be the most patriotic fly the flag of a regime that rebelled against the U.S. to defend slavery.

I know many southerners who feel as if the flag is about "heritage" as well as honoring the Civil War dead.

And I'm still unnerved when I see one of those in public -- saw one planted in the sand on South Padre Island a few years ago. I, a white male northern gay of a certain income and education, felt uncomfortable.

I don't really think that's the issue. The flag is not going to cause South Carolina to secede from the Union.

The issue is that by flying that flag in that spot, the government of South Carolina is honoring the values that the Confederacy stood for as exactly equal to the values of the other flags flying there. Those include (presumably) the flag of the United States as well as that of South Carolina (I dig the palmetto, btw).

At least that's how the military treats flags, and I'm pretty sure civilian protocol is very similar.

I don't really think that's the issue. The flag is not going to cause South Carolina to secede from the Union.

The issue is that by flying that flag in that spot, the government of South Carolina is honoring the values that the Confederacy stood for as exactly equal to the values of the other flags flying there. Those include (presumably) the flag of the United States as well as that of South Carolina (I dig the palmetto, btw).

At least that's how the military treats flags, and I'm pretty sure civilian protocol is very similar.

I get that, I do. I don't support the Confederate flag in any way, shape, or form. The only point I want to make here is that, if a state institution flying the Confederate Flag is akin to honoring a past blighted with racism, the same goes for the United States flag. We could point to any number of instances of state-sponsored racism from the US government: African-Americans, Native Americans, Irish, Japanese, Middle Easterners...the list goes on. So by the logic of censoring the Confederate flag on the basis of a racist past, the same could go for the US flag.

I get that, I do. I don't support the Confederate flag in any way, shape, or form. The only point I want to make here is that, if a state institution flying the Confederate Flag is akin to honoring a past blighted with racism, the same goes for the United States flag. We could point to any number of instances of state-sponsored racism from the US government: African-Americans, Native Americans, Irish, Japanese, Middle Easterners...the list goes on. So by the logic of censoring the Confederate flag on the basis of a racist past, the same could go for the US flag.

Yes, but the U.S. was founded on the ideals of liberty, justice, and equality for all, even though we didn't measure up to those ideals at the time and still don't. The Confederacy on the other hand was founded on the ideal of keeping black people in chains. That's the key difference.

Yes, but the U.S. was founded on the ideals of liberty, justice, and equality for all, even though we didn't measure up to those ideals at the time and still don't. The Confederacy on the other hand was founded on the ideal of keeping black people in chains. That's the key difference.

We'll have to disagree here. The rhetoric of equality doesn't mean a damn thing in a society that went out of its way to disenfranchise well north of 50% of the population.

Back
Top Bottom