Computer Beats Jeopardy Champs - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:16 AM
An article said the specific computer behind Watson will be disassembled again. So much for winning the game.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #17
has a

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
An article said the specific computer behind Watson will be disassembled again. So much for winning the game.

I guess "the only way to win is not to play."

Old 02-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:16 AM
Thus contest was fixed before it began

Quote:
Jeopardy! special favored Watson
February 17, 2011

I have been a fan of Jeopardy! for many years. I believe the rules for the contest between Watson, IBM's super computer, and two Jeopardy! "experts" favored the computer. The question appeared on the screen then was read by host Alex Trebec. Contestants could ring in after Alex read the question. Watson could analyze the question during that hiatus in nano (giga/terra?) seconds, while human contestants had to read and analyze the question in real time then push the button. Obviously the computer could scan through its massive memory, reach a conclusion and respond at least a split second before the contestants could respond in most cases. On many occasions, one of the contestants was trying to push the button in what would have been a competitive time in an all-live contest. If I were to restage the event, I would not allow Watson to begin its deliberations until reading of the question was completed; or at least after some fraction of that time frame.
there is that, I found posted elsewhere

and also, I know that if a contestant pushes the button before Alex is done reading the question, (i think they see a light that goes off) the button is delayed for a second or two. Therefore humans are nervous about pushing too soon and will hesitate. Watson does not have to deal with human emotions and free to push the split second time is up.

So Watson, can push at 1/1000 of a second and Jennings may have pushed at 3/1000 of a second. In reality Watson's knowledge is not better than Jennings.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:16 AM
It was never the intention to show that Watson knew more than others, because that would be pretty pointless. The whole exercise was, besides PR, to see how computers can be programmed in such a way that they understand text and context. It's more like Wolfram Alpha.
It will be interesting to see if it really can be translated into better search engines or be beneficial for medical research etc.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I think one of the reasons Watson beat the human competitors is because it didn't have to be slowed down by emotion
In addition to the other things you mentioned, that's great for Jeopardy.

But what about emotional intelligence? Unless they can find a way to give computers emotional intelligence, won't that always be a significant difference?

That guy who said we will be having conversations with machines-doesn't sound appealing to me. Then again it might be preferable to some humans.