Compassionate Release For Lockerbie Bomber - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #16
has a

Local Time: 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
The strange thing about this is that he probably didn't do the bombing. It was much more likely Iranian linked.
This one always smelled funny to me, too.

I remember when it all happened, there was such intense outrage (rightfully so) and a need to find those responsible.

Still, the man was convicted. It was never overturned. And, imminent death through cancer is NO reason to be paroled.

Why people are cheering his homecoming is beyond me.
Do they believe he was innocent? Then, why no follow-up to overturn his conviction.
Or do they think he's a hero? Not a good thought all the way around.

Mark

Old 08-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:55 PM
This had very little to do with compassion, and a lot more to do with stopping his judicial appeal which the Government was running out of legal options to delay, and preventing the possibility of a new inquiry.

Trust me, the talk in Scotland about this has had very little to with compassion.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:14 AM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 08:55 AM
They should have released him at 30,000 feet.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 06:55 AM
I love the fact that our Legal/Judicial/Penal systems here are so perfect that we should tell other countries how to run theirs.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
I love the fact that our Legal/Judicial/Penal systems here are so perfect that we should tell other countries how to run theirs.
There were 180 Americans on that flight.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Which leaves "x" number of non-Americans NOT telling Scotland how to run their affairs.

How many innocent Afghans/Iraqis have US forces killed ?

Iran Air Flight 655

Maybe we should get our own house in order first
Old 08-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #22
Acrobat

Quote:
Sorry but in that case arrest the guy and give him a trial yourself. Convicted by a Scots court, it's completely 100% to do with us how we treat him. The US can continue executing the mentally handicap, juveniles and those without the money for adequate council in your 18th century barbaric "justice" system. Sort that crap out then you can start preaching about justice.

The Scots judicial review panel found sufficient evidence to support an appeal on the basis of a miscarriage of justice. His appeal was scheduled for this year, it was unlikely he would have survived to the conclusion of the appeal but his death would have not stopped the appeal. The appeal would have proved embarrassing to the UK government and the US (if it had any shame) as the evidence against him is a) circumstantial, b) tainted by documented involvement from the CIA and MI5 including multi-million payments to key witnesses and c) the whole deal with Libya surrounding his handing over with the provision that no one else in Libya be sought for the bombing was tantamount to handing over a patsy.

The guy was probably involved, but so Ghaddifi and his security apparatus, why should the guy be left to die at the Scottish taxpayers expense while we and the US shower Ghaddifi with money and legitimacy for access to Libya's Oil and Natural gas supplies? The morals of justice seem to fall on deaf ears when Oil gets involved. The guy will be dead within 3 months. I'm glad I don't have to pay for his healthcare and his accommodation.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:55 AM
Quote:
No, actually I think the president has said the right things about this particular situation.

Behind the scenes I hope he's showing his displeasure even more strongly.
Quote:

Where was your outrage when Bush,Condi Rice was coddling this terrorist?

Quote:
Bush Speaks With Gaddafi In Historic Phone Call

"Libya has taken important steps on the road to normalizing its relations with the international community, beginning with its renunciation in 2003 of terrorism and weapons of mass destruction," the statement said. "The United States will continue to work on the bilateral relationship with Libya, with the aim of establishing a dialogue that encompasses all subjects, including human rights reform and the fight against terrorism."

A senior White House official told the Reuters news agency that there was no record of any previous U.S. president speaking to Gaddafi, who seized power in a 1969 military coup. Rights groups say Gaddafi's reign has been marked by human rights abuses and restrictions on freedom of expression.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice plans to meet Tuesday with Gaddafi's son Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, who will be in Washington on a private visit, officials said. In early September, after the settlement deal, Rice became the most senior U.S. official to visit Libya in more than a half century.

The developments capped a remarkable turnaround in U.S.-Libyan relations that hit a low in the 1980s but began to improve after Gaddafi -- whom President Ronald Reagan once famously called the "mad dog of the Middle East" -- renounced weapons of mass destruction and terrorism in 2003.
Bush Speaks With Libya's Gaddafi in Historic Phone Call - washingtonpost.com
Old 08-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:55 AM
Quote:
A good argument for capital punishment.
I disagree.

I can see why people are for the death penalty. But I don't believe the government should have the power to choose who lives and who dies. Also, being imprisoned for life is a worse punishment than death, IMO.

Anyways, back to the topic. I agree with BVS that he should have been moved to a facility to receive treatment, not set free.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #25
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by popshopper View Post
The morals of justice seem to fall on deaf ears when Oil gets involved.
Amen.

Mark
Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #26
Acrobat

Personally, I'm in two minds about his release. As I said I'm glad I'm not paying for his accommodation and healthcare anymore, and I have doubts to how involved he actually was, although ultimately I do believe he was at least tangentially involved but was only a part of a larger chain who offered him up as a patsy. However the scenes in Libya on his arrival sickened me, and his release put pay to any real attempt at appeal which would have been the only way to a full public enquiry and political pressure which would open the UK governments sealed files on the bombing .

Those screaming about justice, really should take a look at some of the documentation about this case, it's not as simple as we got the guy and he should die in prison. At best the guy was a courier, albeit one who knew exactly what he was arranging to be delivered. The idea he was the mastermind behind the whole thing or was acting alone is far fetched, and at the end of the day if he was only a cog in the wheel, I don't see where all this fury is coming from.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygloeyes2 View Post
I disagree.

I can see why people are for the death penalty. But I don't believe the government should have the power to choose who lives and who dies. Also, being imprisoned for life is a worse punishment than death, IMO.
Except of course when "life" becomes something other than "life."

Whether you agree or disagree that the death penalty has the advantages of being a deterrent and equal justice to the crime; you must admit that at least it prevents this type of B.S.

There'll never be a hero's "welcome home" for Timothy Mcvey.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Whether you agree or disagree that the death penalty has the advantages of being a deterrent and equal justice to the crime; you must admit that at least it prevents this type of B.S.
So kill him so there will be no "hero's welcome"?

That's your point?

Really?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
So kill him so there will be no "hero's welcome"?

That's your point?

Really?
Quote:
at least
a) Smallest in magnitude or degree.
b) According to the lowest possible assessment
Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't support taking life on "at least"...